Sponsored

Anyone Concerned About Costs???

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Incorrect. 1500 yes. ..
So the 1500, will be refreshed before the Jt arrives and the 2500 will only get part of that, and by the time you wait for the discounts on the JT, the 2500 will have already had its refresh... so again your model is broken.

I did that ......
No you didn't, you compared a Raptor, not something like a Brute... do you even JEEP ?

No wonder you think it's expensive, you really just want a Dihatsu, or Hyundai or Kia pickup since everything is the same.

The market will, decide, and right now the price of a new Jeep pickup is $80K+, so an MSRP of $50K is a deal, and if you don't like that then you'll be riding in something else and justifying why it's "just as good".
Sponsored

ZMB KLR

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 VW R32
Slightly off the topic but not worth its own thread...

This will be my first new vehicle that will be in high demand from the start. In the past, I have bought new cars during, or at the end of their cycle. Can I expect to pay full asking price or do they still play the "let me see what I can do" games?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This will be my first new vehicle that will be in high demand from the start. In the past, I have bought new cars during, or at the end of their cycle. Can I expect to pay full asking price or do they still play the "let me see what I can do" games?
Initially you'll get the Judge Smails special.. "You'll get Nothing and Like it !"
.. as they will likely have trouble keeping them on the lot for the first many months because the pent-up demand is so great that there's even websites poping up dedicated to it, over a year before they're even launched.. hmm... ;)

As with most Wranglers likely the two best time to get a deal will be as the models change model years (usually starts in summer but not noticed at dealerships 'til early fall) and then at year's end, especially last week of December after Xmas which is year-end and month-end, and sales folks are keen to make their numbers or else beat Gill and keep him from getting a lick at the Brass Ring.

As the JT is likely launching near Nov 2018 +/- then it's unlikely that that Dec will see any deals as they'll be selling like hotcakes even if they have a horrible year that initial demand will be insane, just like the JL(U). So, if sale cool down a bit by July/August 2019, then maybe a new model year 2020 JTs put pressure on the 'old' 2019s that are sitting in lots. That's likely the first chance at making deals. If you want to custom order fromthe factory (based on a build sheet) then if orders slow at the factory with entusiasts waiting to place orders in anticipation of a 2020, you might get those FCA and local incentives to apply to a made-to-order JT also (that's usually what I do to leverage fleet pricing plus FCA discounts unless there's a colour/feature I want, then I aim for Xmas).

Now if demand is beyond expectations and it's a runaway hit, then that summer period may only give you mild or no leverage and then you would target the second Xmas Dec 2019 sales.

That's all just guessing based on past experience, that initially there will be no bargains, and then after that it depends on how popular the JT is and how long they sit on lots as time progresses.

Good luck in the battle to the lowest price ! :like:

Jeep Gladiator Anyone Concerned About Costs??? {filename}

was tempted to Wonka it, but Caddyshack is better...

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
So the 1500, will be refreshed before the Jt arrives and the 2500 will only get part of that, and by the time you wait for the discounts on the JT, the 2500 will have already had its refresh... so again your model is broken.
Who said I was waiting for JT discounts? I'm not waiting another year for the market to cool down as I wanted to replace my 2013 JKU 6 months ago. I will be buying something no later then Dec 2018, so your point is the one that is MOOT.

No you didn't, you compared a Raptor, not something like a Brute... do you even JEEP ?
LMFAO .... grasping at straws much? The Brute isn't even a production vehicle. What are the sales numbers of it? maybe a couple thousand at most if even that. Why would I make comparisons to a conversion? The Raptor and the Power Wagon are much more realistic comparisons as they are hardcore off road focused trucks that are mass produced and do truck things.

No wonder you think it's expensive, you really just want a Dihatsu, or Hyundai or Kia pickup since everything is the same.
You don't think $50K is a decent chunk of money? I have no problem spending money on a vehicle that will keep my interest for 5 years, but I want to get the most for that money. If I wanted

The market will, decide, and right now the price of a new Jeep pickup is $80K+, so an MSRP of $50K is a deal, and if you don't like that then you'll be riding in something else and justifying why it's "just as good".
The market has already decided what the price of mid-size trucks are. Hence the whole point of this thread. If I decide to go full size I'll have no issues with justifying why it's "just as good" as IMO Raptors, and Power Wagons, and even 2500 Diesels are all great vehicles there are just trade offs to each including the JT.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who said I was waiting for JT discounts?
Your whole thread says that, you're even petitioning for them in a forum.
So if you aren't willing to wait for them, then you don't care that much about price despite your statements to the contrary.

LMFAO .... grasping at straws much? The Brute isn't even a production vehicle.
Not grasping as hard as you are. You use non-comparable discounts and vehicles in your comparison but the actual demand for the specific widget "a Jeep Wrangler Truck" is somehow not germaine to the concept of supply/demand and equillibrium pricing? :movember:

Sounds like your using piles of straws to justify wanting FCA to lower your cost of entry for no reason rather than acknowledging the specific things that make a JT desirable and capable of demanding a premium over a rusty 1988 Dodge Dakota / Ford Ranger, let alone a 'not Jeep Wrangler Truck' vehicle like a Raptor.

You don't think $50K is a decent chunk of money?
It's all relative, I wouldn't pay that for any truck, but I would for a JLU Rubicon+ without batting an eye. Because that is what the market dictates I have to pay. Plus the resale on a Wrangler is high, and the JT likely similar (at least initially), so it's value versus $50K on a vehicle whose price craters year after year is worth it.

The market has already decided what the price of mid-size trucks are.
No it hasn't, because there is nothing like this in the mainstream market, only in the actual Jeep-Truck conversion market, which has shown what people will pay for that. Again, a Daihatsu / Used Ranger is no more a JT than a Kia Sportage is a Wrangler.

Which is why you don't just go buy all of those mid-size trucks if you actually thought that they are exactly the same as a JT....

Hence the whole point of this thread.
Hence the pointlessness of the thread, if they were like all those other trucks you want to compare it to, and it is just the price that were different, then you'd buy all those other vehicles and not complain about a truck that is so obviously different than just another cookie-cutter mid-sized truck. :idea:

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Your whole thread says that, you're even petitioning for them in a forum.
So if you aren't willing to wait for them, then you don't care that much about price despite your statements to the contrary.
My point of this thread is that Midsize trucks are Overpriced. And you pay a premium for them when compared to their full-size counterparts. Thats what I was getting at. The JT being one of those.

Not grasping as hard as you are. You use non-comparable discounts and vehicles in your comparison but the actual demand for the specific widget "a Jeep Wrangler Truck" is somehow not germaine to the concept of supply/demand and equillibrium pricing? :movember:

Sounds like your using piles of straws to justify wanting FCA to lower your cost of entry for no reason rather than acknowledging the specific things that make a JT desirable and capable of demanding a premium over a rusty 1988 Dodge Dakota / Ford Ranger, let alone a 'not Jeep Wrangler Truck' vehicle like a Raptor.
This was never FCA specific. And you are grasping at straws when your comparing a NON PRODUCTION product to anything production. The simple fact of rarity helps justify pricing on conversions and once the JT goes in to production that rarity is GONE. It now becomes another cool truck just like every other mid-size one on the market, with its own unique feature set. Just like the ZR2 with its awesome shocks, TDR Pro with Fox Shock Set Up & reliability and how the Ranger Raptor will most likely have some awesome long travel IFS set up off the dealer floor.

It's all relative, I wouldn't pay that for any truck, but I would for a JLU Rubicon+ without batting an eye. Because that is what the market dictates I have to pay. Plus the resale on a Wrangler is high, and the JT likely similar (at least initially), so it's value versus $50K on a vehicle whose price craters year after year is worth it.
Yep the Jeep resale value and total cost of ownership are two reasons I'm still looking at the JT. However the other trucks (2500 diesel and Raptor) also have great resale and low costs of ownership.

No it hasn't, because there is nothing like this in the mainstream market, only in the actual Jeep-Truck conversion market, which has shown what people will pay for that. Again, a Daihatsu / Used Ranger is no more a JT than a Kia Sportage is a Wrangler.

Which is why you don't just go buy all of those mid-size trucks if you actually thought that they are exactly the same as a JT....
People buy all kinds of LIMITED shit for crazy prices, dosen't mean that there is a high demand for them. Again comparing a Jeep-Conversion is false-cause fallacy. There are two current mid-size trucks that are totally compare able to the JT: the ZR2, as well as TRD PRO (if your comparing it to the Rubicon model). Yes its not convertible, but not everyone wants a convertible, in fact some people might look at that as a negative. Also some people might want IFS over solid axes for better road manners & comfort, or long travel suspension as they spend more time in the desert vs rock crawling.

Hence the pointlessness of the thread, if they were like all those other trucks you want to compare it to, and it is just the price that were different, then you'd buy all those other vehicles and not complain about a truck that is so obviously different than just another cookie-cutter mid-sized truck. :idea:
Nope. There is a solid chance I still might buy one of those, but I'm not making my decision till I see what the JT fully presents. All the options have trade offs for me. The JT being small towing capacity, worst hwy manners due to solid axels, the 2500 due to its huge size and a new model coming out in 2020/21, the Raptor is mostly price as not sure I want to commit to an additional $15K right out the door.

peterjford

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1943 Ford GPW (needs restoration), 1988 Jeep YJ (needs engine), 1999 Jeep XJ (Purple Is The New Chrome), 2007 Chevrolet Suburban (Mom's kid hauler)
Vehicle Showcase
Who said I was waiting for JT discounts? I'm not waiting another year for the market to cool down as I wanted to replace my 2013 JKU 6 months ago. I will be buying something no later then Dec 2018, so your point is the one that is MOOT.
So you are comparing what you guess will be the MSRP of a mid-size truck that won't even be sold until late 2018 to the "off the lot" price of a full size truck that is
currently sitting on a lot? You need to show me the "off the lot" price of the JT, and the "off the lot" price of a 2019 "whatever you think is a better deal". Until then you are just talking about what you think will happen.

You don't think $50K is a decent chunk of money? I have no problem spending money on a vehicle that will keep my interest for 5 years, but I want to get the most for that money.
Yes, $50k is a lot of money, but I am not going to spend that much. I am going to spend an amount that I have no problem spending on a vehicle that I will keep for at least 10 years. My current Jeeps are a 1943 GPW, 1988 YJ, and a 1999 XJ. If I wanted to buy a pickup that I was going to use as an appliance I would get a Tacoma, or a F-150... or better yet, some really cheap econobox and just use a trailer with my XJ for the rare occasions when I do need to haul something that should go in the back of a pickup.

The market has already decided what the price of mid-size trucks are. Hence the whole point of this thread. If I decide to go full size I'll have no issues with justifying why it's "just as good" as IMO Raptors, and Power Wagons, and even 2500 Diesels are all great vehicles there are just trade offs to each including the JT.
But you compared the guess of the MSRP of the JT to the price of full size trucks, where are the "off the lot" prices of 4WD Colorados, Tacomas, and Rangers?

Buy the 2500 Cummins, its a good truck and you can get it now, I don't think you are a Jeeper, just a someone that happens to own a Jeep.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
So you are comparing what you guess will be the MSRP of a mid-size truck that won't even be sold until late 2018 to the "off the lot" price of a full size truck that is
currently sitting on a lot? You need to show me the "off the lot" price of the JT, and the "off the lot" price of a 2019 "whatever you think is a better deal". Until then you are just talking about what you think will happen.
No. I'm comparing the current MSRP of the JKU Rubicon, which there is no way the JT Rubicon will be less then. If so I would be VERY happy, but the chances of that happening are very very very slim.

Yes, $50k is a lot of money, but I am not going to spend that much.
Congratulations. :like:

For the model I would would want (Rubicon, since I currently have a loaded Rubicon) that is what I would most likely pay, and at the higher end of the spectrum there are a LOT of great alternatives in that price point. That was my whole point of this thread was that Mid-Size trucks are quite over priced for what they are, and that price goes up fast.

But you compared the guess of the MSRP of the JT to the price of full size trucks, where are the "off the lot" prices of 4WD Colorados, Tacomas, and Rangers?
Fact: JT's will not be discounted or barely discounted on release,
Fact: Pricing will be inline with the JKU/JLU .... rumors are its going to be even more.
Fact: You can get a full size Off-Road or Diesel truck from FCA for similar Money that offers more HP, More TQ, Better Towing, and More Payload.

MSRP Prices are going to be similar to Tacomas:

Buy the 2500 Cummins, its a good truck and you can get it now, I don't think you are a Jeeper, just a someone that happens to own a Jeep.
Nice Ad Hominem. Who the F**K are you to say I'm not a Jeeper. You don't even own a Wrangler maybe your not a Jeeper (see how that works).

peterjford

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1943 Ford GPW (needs restoration), 1988 Jeep YJ (needs engine), 1999 Jeep XJ (Purple Is The New Chrome), 2007 Chevrolet Suburban (Mom's kid hauler)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice Ad Hominem. Who the F**K are you to say I'm not a Jeeper. You don't even own a Wrangler maybe your not a Jeeper (see how that works).
My 1988 YJ is a Wrangler, the first Jeep to use the name Wrangler, so I do own a Wrangler. I also own the original Jeep, before they were called Wrangler, or even CJs, a 1943 GPW. I also own a 1999 Cherokee (XJ). I have over the years owned 4 other XJs. I am also considering replacing the Suburban with a Grand Wagoneer, because Jeep.

Sorry if I touched nerve by call you out, I don't mean it as an insult, but there are a lot of people that own Jeeps, but are not really Jeepers. God Bless every single one of them because they keep the FCA and the aftermarket companies alive and make it possible for me to keep my Jeep addiction going.

You seem to be looking for a pickup and are seriously checking out the JT. I appreciate that, but if I was in the market for a pickup truck, to do pickup truck things and occasionally off-road, I would look at Tacoma or Colorado. What I want is a Jeep that I can take off-road and occasionally do pickup truck things, so that is why I am eagerly awaiting the Gladiator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still with Vegas; the mid-size truck market is vastly overpriced compared to its full-size counterparts (both in MSRP and discounts and wiggle room). And if this overpricing continues, then the market will die (again) and we're all stuck with full sized pickups...

My concern is that Jeep is the only FCA unit that makes money (it contributes 95% of the aggregate profit margin for the entire FCA model lineup) and Jeep will be able to sell any/every JTU it builds -- some beforehand via custom orders. All this means Jeep will remain the Alpha Dog of the FCA pack and be required to "carry" all others

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
When towing a 3500 lb boat we get 20 to 30% better fuel economy in my buddy's Ram with the ECO vrs my Tahoe. I'd like to see how much better the GM twins do with their diesel vrs the v6. I bet the diesel gets 30 to 40% better fuel economy. For those that tow on a regular basis, cost may not even be most important factor in vrs the overall improved towing experience with the diesel. I mean the current Wrangler literally screams murder towing a couple thousand lb trailer over 65 mph.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you are concerned with costs? Reason I ask is that if you price out a JKU Rubicon right now your looking at a base of: $37,445.00 .... Add a $6,000 option for the Diesel w/ 8 Speed your at $43,445.00 before any other options.

Here is kind of what my build would be like based on current JKU options:

Base Rubicon: $37,445.00
Diesel with Auto: $6,000.00
Connectivity: $695.00
Leather & Premium Sound: $2,000.00
Tow Package: $495.00
Hardtop: $1,995.00
Body Color Fenders: $395.00
Auto Temp Control: $395.00
Remote Start: $495.00

Total: $49,915.00

Thats a pretty pricy Mid-Size Truck. By comparison I can get into a Laramie Ram 2500 crew Cab 4x4 with Cummins diesel for the same price: http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeep...ll-boise-08ce99f10a0e0a6b3f0ee73905c2bf3f.htm

Or grab as Power Wagon around $43K: http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeep...ll-boise-c45f645c0a0e0a6b3f70d6d85d94d395.htm

Thoughts?
Drop the diesel? Automatic transmission runs about $1200. So you save ~$4800 by going with the gas V6 (assuming your prices are reasonably accurate). If you are financing, the additional interest for the diesel may offset any savings due to diesel MPG. Remember, pay back on the diesel engine will be several years, and if you are financing, it will be even longer. Also, do you want your Jeep to belch out black soot? And do you want it to clack clack clack like a rattle can? OK, you get my opinion on diesels. :) However, If you are a hard core rock crawler and need more torque, then go for the diesel, otherwise, I think the gas engine is the way to go.
Do you really need leather? I have never ordered leather and have been very happy with the standard fabric. I don't get the leather fetish. :) Premium sound, yes. Body colored fenders are personal preference. Auto temp control, will never buy a vehicle without it. Remote start is very likely on my next Wrangler.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
the eco has it's share of problems to be sure, but belching black soot or clacking, it doesn't do.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
the eco has it's share of problems to be sure, but belching black soot or clacking, it doesn't do.
Mind sharing your known issues for those of us not entirely in the know?
Sponsored