Sponsored

Anyone have high idle issues?

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
19k miles, jeep has been flawless. After sitting for a week, I got cel, idles around 1800-2k rpm, auto start/stop unavailable. Jeep runs fine apart from the 1800+ rpm idle.
I have a P1400 and P0507 code.
2020 JTR.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Time to have the batteries tested. As they age, they don't do so well without frequent charging (battery tender or regularly driving).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
19k miles, jeep has been flawless. After sitting for a week, I got cel, idles around 1800-2k rpm, auto start/stop unavailable. Jeep runs fine apart from the 1800+ rpm idle.
I have a P1400 and P0507 code.
2020 JTR.
P0507 is that the PCM has detected an idle problem.
The P1400 - not sure on that one.......... but I wonder if you have a throttle body motor issue..
Generically, the P1400 may be indicating the PCM was replaced, or tune changes, or -it also looks up to this - Manifold Differential Pressure sensor condition
And that could make sense.

Any codes like that will make the auto stop/start not function!
It's most likely the issue that's causing the idle issue that's causing ESS to not work.
In fact, almost any engine codes will stop ESS from working.
In other words, IGNORE the fact auto stop/start isn't working - that's a symptom of the other issues.
Get the other issue fixed and I betcha a big max the auto stop/start works.
(sorry, Mr_Bill - ESS won't work as long as there's an idle issue or code - no need to check batteries)

There is a TSB about throttle body motor issues - this may not be that but I'd bet that's where there's a problem.

Anyway, you have an issue that it needs to go to the dealer for - warranty - and once that's fixed the ESS should work.
HOWEVER, if it has been sitting for a week - put a GOOD AGM battery charger on it and charge the batteries (correctly, connect to the TOP of the IBS on the negative post, not to the battery post itself!)

OP
OP
cmb396

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
P0507 is that the PCM has detected an idle problem.
The P1400 - not sure on that one.......... but I wonder if you have a throttle body motor issue..
Generically, the P1400 may be indicating the PCM was replaced, or tune changes, or -it also looks up to this - Manifold Differential Pressure sensor condition
And that could make sense.

Any codes like that will make the auto stop/start not function!
It's most likely the issue that's causing the idle issue that's causing ESS to not work.
In fact, almost any engine codes will stop ESS from working.
In other words, IGNORE the fact auto stop/start isn't working - that's a symptom of the other issues.
Get the other issue fixed and I betcha a big max the auto stop/start works.
(sorry, Mr_Bill - ESS won't work as long as there's an idle issue or code - no need to check batteries)

There is a TSB about throttle body motor issues - this may not be that but I'd bet that's where there's a problem.

Anyway, you have an issue that it needs to go to the dealer for - warranty - and once that's fixed the ESS should work.
HOWEVER, if it has been sitting for a week - put a GOOD AGM battery charger on it and charge the batteries (correctly, connect to the TOP of the IBS on the negative post, not to the battery post itself!)
Thanks for the feedback.
I am running a magnusson with Daves tune, so any dealer warranty work is out. Dave seems to think its the TB motor as well, and has done his best to tune around it, it has gotten better, but problem still exists.
Charging the battery was the first thing I did after the initial problem, and erasing the codes. I have a good charger too, didn't help.
I have driven the jeep 300+ miles like this. It drives absolutely flawless, other than the high idle in park. I could care less about the ESS not working, I always turn it off anyway. Wish I could just tune it out all together.
Thought I might have a vaccum leak somehwere, but I have checked everything, and all lines are good.
I think I might order a new TB this week, and see if that takes care of the problem...until the new one eventually goes bad, lol. I might just get rid of the truck all together before that happens tho. too many damn issues with these things, and it sucks bc this is probably my favorite vehicle ever owned.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback.
I am running a magnusson with Daves tune, so any dealer warranty work is out. Dave seems to think its the TB motor as well, and has done his best to tune around it, it has gotten better, but problem still exists.
Charging the battery was the first thing I did after the initial problem, and erasing the codes. I have a good charger too, didn't help.
I have driven the jeep 300+ miles like this. It drives absolutely flawless, other than the high idle in park. I could care less about the ESS not working, I always turn it off anyway. Wish I could just tune it out all together.
Thought I might have a vaccum leak somehwere, but I have checked everything, and all lines are good.
I think I might order a new TB this week, and see if that takes care of the problem...until the new one eventually goes bad, lol. I might just get rid of the truck all together before that happens tho. too many damn issues with these things, and it sucks bc this is probably my favorite vehicle ever owned.
Ah, as Paul Harvey might have said - and now you have the rest of the story LOL

Then both codes make sense. I wondered about the 1400 as there have been some who have seen that one and are running all stock, and in other cases, it's an emissions related thing.
In your case, both codes are actually accurate. Non-stock tune, and idle issues.

I would agree with Dave - the 1400 is telling you what you already know, and the other - you can say DUH to the PCM because it's telling you what you already know as well - idle is outside of normal parameters or what is expected.
As there have been problems with the throttle body stepper (I believe it's a stepper motor?), then that would fit -
I can't recall the range of years/months of manufacture that have seen throttle body issues, maybe Dave is more in-tune with that (oh, bad pun) but now it all fits.
I'd be aiming at the throttle body motor.

Sounds like you are on top of it otherwise.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cmb396

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ah, as Paul Harvey might have said - and now you have the rest of the story LOL

Then both codes make sense. I wondered about the 1400 as there have been some who have seen that one and are running all stock, and in other cases, it's an emissions related thing.
In your case, both codes are actually accurate. Non-stock tune, and idle issues.

I would agree with Dave - the 1400 is telling you what you already know, and the other - you can say DUH to the PCM because it's telling you what you already know as well - idle is outside of normal parameters or what is expected.
As there have been problems with the throttle body stepper (I believe it's a stepper motor?), then that would fit -
I can't recall the range of years/months of manufacture that have seen throttle body issues, maybe Dave is more in-tune with that (oh, bad pun) but now it all fits.
I'd be aiming at the throttle body motor.

Sounds like you are on top of it otherwise.
Stepper motor, yes, that's it. I could not think of it either.
The TSB is for 21-22 trucks, mine is a 20, but might be affected as well. I thought about pulling the TB off my wifes 18 JLUR just to see if that takes care of it, and then order a new one.

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘99 XJ, ‘09 JKUR, ‘21 MOJAVE
Occupation
Professional killer
Did you ever get this fixed? I have tried two throttle bodies on a BRAND NEW engine that I replaced due to the Magnuson (long other topic story). I had bought one for the new motor and it was “lightly used”. Looks absolutely brand new. Same issue. High idle. Drives fine. Throws P0507. Took that one off and pulled the one off the Magnuson and same exact thing. The one off the Magnuson had no idle issues whatsoever up until it was parked due to engine damage. I’ve been trying to get to a usable point on this Jeep for about 7-8 months now. I am supposed to deliver it for sale Monday. Any comments or suggestions from anyone???

OP
OP
cmb396

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Did you ever get this fixed? I have tried two throttle bodies on a BRAND NEW engine that I replaced due to the Magnuson (long other topic story). I had bought one for the new motor and it was “lightly used”. Looks absolutely brand new. Same issue. High idle. Drives fine. Throws P0507. Took that one off and pulled the one off the Magnuson and same exact thing. The one off the Magnuson had no idle issues whatsoever up until it was parked due to engine damage. I’ve been trying to get to a usable point on this Jeep for about 7-8 months now. I am supposed to deliver it for sale Monday. Any comments or suggestions from anyone???
I did. The VML hose, or whatever its called that runs from the intake to the purge valve that is re-located behind the intake came off. Had to remove the coolant res to get to to it. Some very scraped up arm, and a hose clamp later, problem solved.

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional killer
Wow. Glad to hear you got it fixed. So I have this brand new engine and it has the high idle issues. I have tried two different TBs and same results. Drives like a stocker with an exhaust otherwise. Park and neutral are the only issues. I’m stumped. I removed/reinstalled and re-torqued the upper and lower intakes and soap sprayed all the vacuum related hardware to no avail. I’m hoping Dave has some kind of insight as I’m totally lost.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Thanks for the feedback.
If I missed it I’m sorry… you charged the primary battery. Are you sure it’s not the small battery underneath?

Sponsored

OP
OP
cmb396

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If I missed it I’m sorry… you charged the primary battery. Are you sure it’s not the small battery underneath?
Nah, wasn't the battery at all. VML hose that runs from the intake to the purge valve came loose from the purge valve.

OP
OP
cmb396

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Wow. Glad to hear you got it fixed. So I have this brand new engine and it has the high idle issues. I have tried two different TBs and same results. Drives like a stocker with an exhaust otherwise. Park and neutral are the only issues. I’m stumped. I removed/reinstalled and re-torqued the upper and lower intakes and soap sprayed all the vacuum related hardware to no avail. I’m hoping Dave has some kind of insight as I’m totally lost.
Mine did the exact same. I put a new tb on as well, and was still the same.
Are you positive all hoses are connected, and routed correctly?
I had to take the coolant resevoir off to gain access to the purge valve on the back of the engine, and that's the only way I found the VML hose became disconnected.

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional killer
AFAIK they are all connected. I took my Magnuson off with the bad engine and it is not going back on. The purge is back on top of the engine and I think everything is back together.