Sponsored

Anyone running 35s on stock wheels without issues?

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I have 35x12.5x17 BFG TAKO2s on my Mojave. No issues to this point.
Sponsored

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The narrower rim actually holds the bead better.
Then somebody please educate me why some people are concerned with putting 35x12.5 on stock rims?

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Then somebody please educate me why some people are concerned with putting 35x12.5 on stock rims?
I canā€™t tell you why.

Disxount tire has zero problems mounting a 35x12.5R17 on stock gladiator rims.

Iā€™ve had zero problems with mine. I have about 10k miles on them. Highway, city, off-road. No towing, but I have had 1,000lbs of decomposed granite in the bed.

Most people that say ā€œnoā€ donā€™t know better, have zero experience with it.

yes, the tire manufacturers specify a rim of 8ā€ wide. This is likely to prevent abnormal wear running at the highest pressure the tire is specā€™d for.

On the gladiator, you can run 33psi with a 35x12.5R17 without issue and will not suffer weird wear.

caveat: if you tow or haul, you will likely need to up the pressure.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I canā€™t tell you why.

Disxount tire has zero problems mounting a 35x12.5R17 on stock gladiator rims.

Iā€™ve had zero problems with mine. I have about 10k miles on them. Highway, city, off-road. No towing, but I have had 1,000lbs of decomposed granite in the bed.

Most people that say ā€œnoā€ donā€™t know better, have zero experience with it.

yes, the tire manufacturers specify a rim of 8ā€ wide. This is likely to prevent abnormal wear running at the highest pressure the tire is specā€™d for.

On the gladiator, you can run 33psi with a 35x12.5R17 without issue and will not suffer weird wear.

caveat: if you tow or haul, you will likely need to up the pressure.
so, airing down isnā€™t a problem?

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
so, airing down isnā€™t a problem?
A more narrow rim helps you keep the bead.

Airing down is no problem at all.

when a tire is compressed on an obstacle, it will smush out against the bead. A more narrow rim will have the bead smush harder/tighter.

A wider rim wonā€™t let the tire smush as hard against the bead.
Thus, abs the numbers are made up, a 10ā€ wide rim might only support airing down to 20psi.

A 7.5ā€ wide rim might support going to 10psi.

I ran mosquito pass at ~18psi. No issue

Last edited:

Sponsored

bfrdtjstc

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willy
Occupation
Engineer
I run a 35x11.5x17 Toyo AT3 on stock rims and 2" Mopar lift. No issues, no rubbing. Barely stick out past the fenders.
Jeep Gladiator Anyone running 35s on stock wheels without issues? 195052648_824002185212880_6805821344078840941_n

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
A more narrow rim helps you keep the bead.

Airing down is no problem at all.

when a tire is compressed on an obstacle, it will smush out against the bead. A more narrow rim will have the bead smush harder/tighter.

A wider rim wonā€™t let the tire smush as hard against the bead.
Thus, abs the numbers are made up, a 10ā€ wide rim might only support airing down to 20psi.

A 7.5ā€ wide rim might support going to 10psi.

I ran mosquito pass at ~18psi. No issue
I have run that pass in my JK. I aired down to 18 as well. Thatā€™s good enough for me:). Thank you for the real world experience and the explanation.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
I have run that pass in my JK. I aired down to 18 as well. Thatā€™s good enough for me:). Thank you for the real world experience and the explanation.
No problem!

PS I love Tyler. My wifeā€™s family was from there. Her brother has a ranch there, stones throw from the Tyler rose horse park.

Sponsored

juareze16

First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I got some Baja Legend MTZ's (35x12.5x17) on stock Mojave wheels. What psi are yall running ur 35's at?

AzGladius

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave JT
Occupation
Electronics and stuff
The tire will crown under normal pressure causing premature wear on the center tread and a smaller contact patch which reduces cornering and braking tread contact. That is why.

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
The tire will crown under normal pressure causing premature wear on the center tread and a smaller contact patch which reduces cornering and braking tread contact. That is why.
Thatā€™s the short version of it.

Iā€™ve been running mine now on stock rims with BFG KO2s 35x12.5 for a bit more then 35k miles, and definitely started to see some increase wear on the center. I run mine light around town (@35 psi) and always air down a bit on trails. But I keep it up at 38 psi (which heats up to 42 when the asphalt it toasty) for better mileage on extended blacktop runs.

Overall, Iā€™d say itā€™s worked out well for me. Saved me a few bucks out of the gate, which was of course just spent on other stuff. Iā€™ll upsize the rims when I go to 37s after this set of shoes wears out.
Sponsored