Sponsored

Asfir 4x4 Engine and Transmission skid plate

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Aluminum def makes a lot of sense for the skid plates, don't need to worry about rust and they can be plenty strong
Sponsored

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Hi there, adding on to the special forum discount -> we're launching a new website and we want to celebrate it with you!
We deeply appreciate your trust in our products and want to offer a special promo-code for an extra (!) 15% off our internet sale price.
GLADITORStrong will be valid through Aug. 31st! Please use this code at checkout.

Cheers!

(* one coupon-code per order)
Link to your website please, do you have skids for the diesel rubicon gladiator

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
@ASFIR 4x4 which aluminum alloy are you using on these? They look a lot lighter and less expensive than other 1/4" aluminum skid plates.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Hi there, adding on to the special forum discount -> we're launching a new website and we want to celebrate it with you!
We deeply appreciate your trust in our products and want to offer a special promo-code for an extra (!) 15% off our internet sale price.
GLADITORStrong will be valid through Aug. 31st! Please use this code at checkout.

Cheers!

Great to see a rep on the forum. Can you confirm the engine/trans skid works for the manual transmission?

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
keep in mind aluminum digs into rock when dragged and has more drag resistance over said rock then steel, which may cause you to get hung up easier. On a 6000lb truck, a few extra pounds of steel for a skid plate that will hold up to repeated rock contact and glide over rocks and not dig in, is better then saving a few pounds with aluminum.

I use to run a alum skid plate on my dirt bike which was 1/4" thick, and a 380 lb bike would dent and gouge that plate, I can only imagine what a big truck would do to the same thickness of alum plate. I have since moved to thick plastic plate which is better suited for bikes.

@ASFIR 4x4
Have you consider doing DIY skid plates where you sell the cnc plasma cut sheets of metal (hopefully steel) like the DIY bumpers, where they have CNC plasma cut the fold seams to allow the builder to easily bend the plate then weld up the cut seam? This would let the at home guy who doesn't have a giant break press bend up the stuff. I assume you have the CNC plans already and would be easy enough to mod to add cut seams and change speeds to cut say steel.

ASFIR 4x4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP JK 2015
@ASFIR 4x4 which aluminum alloy are you using on these? They look a lot lighter and less expensive than other 1/4" aluminum skid plates.
We use 5025 aluminum.

I'm happy to hear this as we are working tirelessly to make sure our products meet the balance of economic pricing, high-end quality and performance.

ASFIR 4x4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP JK 2015
Great to see a rep on the forum. Can you confirm the engine/trans skid works for the manual transmission?
Thank you for welcoming us :)
Unfortunately I can not confirm it works with a manual transmission as we haven't tested it.
The way we work, design and develop all of our products for 35 years now, is by test fitting and develop the product "hands-on".
As we don't have many manual Gladiators in Israel we haven't tested it, but hopefully we can get our hands on one to test fit it and confirm :)

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I specifically bought Asfir plates to save weight but add protection for accidental contact. I don't intend at ANY point to intentionally drag over rocks. I have a YJ to rock crawl like that.

Different use cases get different solutions. Seeing the transmission fluid lines get caught on YouTube was a real eye opener.

keep in mind aluminum digs into rock when dragged and has more drag resistance over said rock then steel, which may cause you to get hung up easier. On a 6000lb truck, a few extra pounds of steel for a skid plate that will hold up to repeated rock contact and glide over rocks and not dig in, is better then saving a few pounds with aluminum.

I use to run a alum skid plate on my dirt bike which was 1/4" thick, and a 380 lb bike would dent and gouge that plate, I can only imagine what a big truck would do to the same thickness of alum plate. I have since moved to thick plastic plate which is better suited for bikes.

@ASFIR 4x4
Have you consider doing DIY skid plates where you sell the cnc plasma cut sheets of metal (hopefully steel) like the DIY bumpers, where they have CNC plasma cut the fold seams to allow the builder to easily bend the plate then weld up the cut seam? This would let the at home guy who doesn't have a giant break press bend up the stuff. I assume you have the CNC plans already and would be easy enough to mod to add cut seams and change speeds to cut say steel.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
I specifically bought Asfir plates to save weight but add protection for accidental contact. I don't intend at ANY point to intentionally drag over rocks. I have a YJ to rock crawl like that.

Different use cases get different solutions. Seeing the transmission fluid lines get caught on YouTube was a real eye opener.

Agreed, but some times in the real world you don't get a choice about dragging or not....

Seems like they will work for light duty stuff.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
My buddy who runs the laser/waterjet side of the sheet metal shop called 5025 "Gucci Aluminum alloy" - I texted him about it.

He approves 🤣😂😆
Ok that makes sense because the others use 6061 alloy.

OP
OP
Slacks

Slacks

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BW JTR, G8 GXP LS3
Vehicle Showcase

Cheers!

That’s awesome, thanks! BTW, are you considering a plate over the exhaust side? I’ve banged up my exhaust components quite a bit...
Sponsored