Vehicle Showcase

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Congrats ! That looks perfect. I would like to buy that. I have the manual transmission. Do you know if it fits both the automatic and manual transmission ? Thanks.
The JL version says it is for both auto/manual on the 3.6 version, so I'd suspect it would work. I'd bet they'll tell you pretty quickly.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Hell yeah I'm glad to see another person rock the skidplate from them,I've been running mines for about 6 months now,I wish I should've gotten the transfer case skid cause now the OEM skid is all scratched and rusty from all the rocks and dirt,but overall it's been pretty good,I've snapped 2 bolts though,im pretty sure it was from the impact of something,but I upgraded all the hardware to grade 8,so just Incase I hope it prevents those 4 little bolts from coming apart from were it mounts
Hit that rusty scratchy factory skid with Rustoleum Rust Reformer and it'll last a nice long time and won't look like crap. I've done that to the skids on my JK for 13 years and they look like new until you get inches away and see the scratches and gouges. Stuff works really well and stops the rust.

Thanks OP for the report on this Asfir plate. I'm thinking of ordering one for my JL. I've been to Moab and haven't even nicked the oil pan, but this is a very good insurance policy and adds very little weight which is a priority for me.

Sponsored

GA D90

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 LR Defender , '21 JTR
Occupation
Paramedic
Question, does aluminum make more or less sense to use over steel when it come to skid and underbody protection?

Company offers a few JT products.

http://www.asfir.com/product/search...=236&filter_car_year=2020&filter_category_id=

Jeep Gladiator Asfir 4x4 Engine and Transmission skid plate 1621164351998
The way I look at is, stuff that is likely to get hit ”a lot ” like, rockers, diffs, bumpers , steel is better. But in the case of an oil pan/ trans skid , I see as a little extra insurance. This thing is very stout, especially when all bolted up to the cross members, and the weight savings is huge. I also like it smooths out contact points, so less likely to hang-up.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I wonder why the Quadratrac parts are so much more expensive than the Asfir? Even with int'l shipping vs "free" shipping the Quadratrac combo engine/trans/skidplate is 50% more than the Asfir. Guess I'll find out today if the Asfir are a pain to install.

GA D90

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 LR Defender , '21 JTR
Occupation
Paramedic
I wonder why the Quadratrac parts are so much more expensive than the Asfir? Even with int'l shipping vs "free" shipping the Quadratrac combo engine/trans/skidplate is 50% more than the Asfir. Guess I'll find out today if the Asfir are a pain to install.
Super easy to install!

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Super easy to install!
It really is easy to install,I'm a pretty big guy and my truck ain't lifted but as long you got a couple of wood blocks to sorta hold up the plate you should be fine,just make sure you truck is cold or otherwise "Colorful language" will be implemented when you get burned :CWL::CWL:

OP
OP
Slacks

Slacks

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BW JTR, G8 GXP LS3
Vehicle Showcase
Question, does aluminum make more or less sense to use over steel when it come to skid and underbody protection?
A lot of big name American manufacturers have had aluminum and steel options for a while, so there's nothing to worry about. Aluminum is softer, so in most cases it's 1/16" thicker than steel counterparts while still lighter.

And as others stated, it won't rust so there's less maintenance required. If your rig is exposed to a lot of saltwater, you can still get galvanic corrosion between the aluminum and steel, but not any worse than the corrosion you'd get with steel alone anyway.

I'm glad others are having similar reactions and positive experiences as I did. It was a bit of a gamble to be one of the first to try it, but looks like it paid off this time :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slacks

Slacks

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BW JTR, G8 GXP LS3
Vehicle Showcase
The fuel tank skid plate is actually the same price (~$430 shipped at time of this post) from either company.

The ASFIR4x4 transfer case skid plate is nearly $100 cheaper currently, but it doesn't replace your existing plate. It actually bolts over it.

The engine skid is indeed an extremely good deal compared to competitors. Currently, it's about $80 cheaper, shipped.

My guess on why ASFIR is cheaper is that it's likely sourcing. Steel and aluminum (aluminum less so) are heavily tariffed imports to the U.S. It could be that ASFIR4x4 who works on a lot of other vehicles can source aluminum in bulk cheaper than Quadratec's manufacturer (because I doubt Q builds these in-house), who may also concentrate more on Jeep vehicles perhaps.

Or it could be that Quadratec mentions they powdercoat the skids in silver. Total guesses, though.

Edit: Both ASFIR4X4 and Quadratec use 5052 grade alumnium. While more expensive kits like Artec's uses 6061 which is harder. Here’s a basic Google search result comparison with examples of applications:https://www.industrialmetalsupply.com/blog/6061-vs-5052-aluminum

I’ve nearly high-centered on this plate, gouged it on rocks and it’s held up well (see previous photos), but YMMV. I do more rock and mud work rather than trail work, but not like “send it 4-ft rock slab steps”... yet. So if you’re doing that stuff, maybe just skip aluminum and go for steel.

Last edited:

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
I’ll let you know. I just ordered one for my manual.
I will say that asfir customer service is great so far. They emailed today about my order since I put in that it’s for a manual gladiator and they checked to confirm that it was and asked if I was certain I wanted to still get them. I said yes and that I would update them if it fits and document the install. I’m pretty impressed so far.

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
I just installed mine last night. It was here within a week of ordering, I couldn't believe it. Installation was straight forward, and hardware was complete (which is actually a big deal, I get so frustrated with companies when bolts are missing and I need to source them myself).

Also, I messaged them on FB and they gave a 5% forum member discount if anyone is interested going forward.

ASFIR 4x4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP JK 2015
I just installed mine last night. It was here within a week of ordering, I couldn't believe it. Installation was straight forward, and hardware was complete (which is actually a big deal, I get so frustrated with companies when bolts are missing and I need to source them myself).

Also, I messaged them on FB and they gave a 5% forum member discount if anyone is interested going forward.
Hi there, adding on to the special forum discount -> we're launching a new website and we want to celebrate it with you!
We deeply appreciate your trust in our products and want to offer a special promo-code for an extra (!) 15% off our internet sale price.
GLADITORStrong will be valid through Aug. 31st! Please use this code at checkout.

Cheers!

(* one coupon-code per order)

salsadoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Hi there, adding on to the special forum discount -> we're launching a new website and we want to celebrate it with you!
We deeply appreciate your trust in our products and want to offer a special promo-code for an extra (!) 15% off our internet sale price.
GLADITORStrong will be valid through Aug. 31st! Please use this code at checkout.

Cheers!

(* one coupon-code per order)
@ASFIR 4x4 thanks! just placed my order
Sponsored