Sponsored

Automatic swaybar disconnects?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
How would you bottom out less with the sway bar disconnected?
It feels more floaty over the bumps, basically just a lot more compliant with the shocks and springs and tires able to do their own thing rather than fighting the torsion spring. Wife tends to agree as she knows when I have it connected vs disconnected on the higher speed sections as well.

I think it's because the tires kind of float on the top of the washboard better. Also less head toss over the washboard as the axle floating doesn't translate in to the body as much.
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve tried it, and fully disconnected at those speeds wasnā€™t good. At those speeds, iI could get behind more compliant, or partially relaxed, just not full on free-Willy.

i also donā€™t believe that youā€™re going to be in comfort, on a rutted road, at 35mph. At least not without running some ginormous 43ā€ boggers with 3psi in them. I feel that this claim is a stretch of the imagination, at best. At 35mph, on a rutted road, I doubt that you can effectively monitor the speedo. Maybe your definition of a rutted road is different than mine, I just donā€™t see body roll being a major issue for comfort at that point - if your hitting rutted roads at 35, Iā€™m thinking that youā€™ll be dealing with bucking, steering, shocks , issues with rims, bottoming out, maintaining control, etc.
Not with EcliK shocks you wouldnā€™t. Mine now handles like a Mohave at those speeds off road. And thatā€™s with 37ā€™s and a 4-5ā€ lift. Game changing.

DarthAWM

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Oilfield Service
GM has been messing with smart shocks, electronically controlled shocks, for years. About time they make it to the after-market. I bet it was 10 years ago I was reading about the progress GM was making, and how they behaved in trucks.
Decades, ferrofluid shocks debuted on the 1996 Corvette.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Wife [...] knows when I have it connected vs disconnected
Yep, this is it for me. It's how I know for sure.

I'm doing the disconnecting and connected so obviously I'm potentially guilty of post-purchase rationalization as I know when things are disconnected. It feels more comfortable to me, but placebo effect is strong and $500 is a good chunk of money to spend on something that doesn't do what you bought it to do (i don't care about rock crawling, i only bought it for comfort after reading some posts from other people on here).

I've tested my wife as a control group. After showing her how it feels connected and disconnected on the same bit of trail, i've secretly "failed' to disconnect on random outings to see if she notices. Guess what, she definitely does. I don't test her anymore. She prefers the disconnect greatly. She's not a car person so she doens't understand what i'm doing or why it makes a difference, she just knows "hey, this is rougher this time, did you forget to do your suspension thing again?"

Sponsored

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Iā€™ve tried it, and fully disconnected at those speeds wasnā€™t good. At those speeds, iI could get behind more compliant, or partially relaxed, just not full on free-Willy.

i also donā€™t believe that youā€™re going to be in comfort, on a rutted road, at 35mph. At least not without running some ginormous 43ā€ boggers with 3psi in them. I feel that this claim is a stretch of the imagination, at best. At 35mph, on a rutted road, I doubt that you can effectively monitor the speedo. Maybe your definition of a rutted road is different than mine, I just donā€™t see body roll being a major issue for comfort at that point - if your hitting rutted roads at 35, Iā€™m thinking that youā€™ll be dealing with bucking, steering, shocks , issues with rims, bottoming out, maintaining control, etc.
Maybe different definition. I'm talking about desert trails out here in soCal.
Jku on 2.5 lift with fox resi shocks and disco'd. comfort at 35 mph.
Not gonna tell you what to believe. So hope you're having a great weekend. šŸ‘

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
not necessary with the double triangulated suspension.
Please tell me youā€™re not driving it on the highway without a rear swaybar.

Edit: I donā€™t care how fast people drive without swaybars off road. But on public roads with highway speeds, itā€™s only a matter of time before another driver does something stupid that you need to react to at high speeds. One could easily lose control with an unplanned high speed maneuver without a rear or front swaybar.

OP
OP
Volt0

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
Maybe different definition. I'm talking about desert trails out here in soCal.
Jku on 2.5 lift with fox resi shocks and disco'd. comfort at 35 mph.
Not gonna tell you what to believe. So hope you're having a great weekend. šŸ‘
Thank you, that puts a different image in my head at least. Iā€™m sure that it would be a blast, and probably a completely different experience than Iā€™ve had around mid/southern mo.

OP
OP
Volt0

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
I'm more concerned about people who would decide "I don't need no damned sway bar" and do like so often happens with other things - hack it to disable it on the road.
Weight transfer, oversteer, understeer, braking, tire force on the road.......... it's the end user that's the concern.

I know you know..........
And weā€™re not talking about dropped C10s either ;-)

Alc

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
As someone that has Eclik shocks on my JT, mixing electronics with shocks is a game changer. It makes manual adjustable shocks so rudimentary in comparison. It genuinely improves the vehicle so dramatically, itā€™s difficult to believe without experiencing it. It has added true Mohave desert running capabilities to my rubicon. On the road, I can do u turns with my foot on the floor and take 60mph curves at 80 without body roll. For rock crawling, itā€™s more stable and capable than it ever was, as it automatically adjusts for off camber, climbs, descents, drop-offs, etc. I very much like Fred Williams, but he doesnā€™t exactly sell this as well as he could. Iā€™ll be very interested to see these sway bar links in action. Thanks for posting this.

If anyone in CO wants to see how these shocks work in person, feel free to reach out.
Those would be game changers but the cost of entry is high. Did you go full up with their $6k option? How do you like the installation/integration into your current electronics? I would love to have these on my vehicle, they were awesome on the Vagon I used to own. Iā€™m glad theyā€™re out there but am also happy they donā€™t come on the wranglers and gladiators from the factory. Those make it too costly to change or lift the vehicle once you have them without costing a fortune. I looked at replacing mine in a sports car and was astounded at the cost to replace. Do you have any pics of the electronic portion of the install? Looked like they offer some sort of digital setup that installs into the transmission shifterā€¦pretty ingenious. May add this to my wish list

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Those would be game changers but the cost of entry is high. Did you go full up with their $6k option? How do you like the installation/integration into your current electronics? I would love to have these on my vehicle, they were awesome on the Vagon I used to own. Iā€™m glad theyā€™re out there but am also happy they donā€™t come on the wranglers and gladiators from the factory. Those make it too costly to change or lift the vehicle once you have them without costing a fortune. I looked at replacing mine in a sports car and was astounded at the cost to replace. Do you have any pics of the electronic portion of the install? Looked like they offer some sort of digital setup that installs into the transmission shifterā€¦pretty ingenious. May add this to my wish list
I have the full pro option. Itā€™s $4,600. Itā€™s the top for jeeps. I donā€™t know where 6k came from, so Iā€™m assuming different vehicles. Itā€™s truly amazing. Zero regrets. You donā€™t need to swap them if you change your lift. They have three internal clip positions that allow you to change stroke and full stroke extension without swapping shocks. Thatā€™s another reason I didnā€™t go with Fox 2.5 elite.

IMG_8245.jpeg

IMG_8258.jpeg

IMG_8259.jpeg

IMG_8260.jpeg

IMG_8256.jpeg

IMG_8262.jpeg

IMG_8265.jpeg

IMG_8248.jpeg

IMG_8257.jpeg

Alc

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I have the full pro option. Itā€™s $4,600. Itā€™s the top for jeeps. I donā€™t know where 6k came from, so Iā€™m assuming different vehicles. Itā€™s truly amazing. Zero regrets. You donā€™t need to swap them if you change your lift. They have three internal clip positions that allow you to change stroke and full stroke extension without swapping shocks. Thatā€™s another reason I didnā€™t go with Fox 2.5 elite.

IMG_8245.jpeg

IMG_8258.jpeg

IMG_8259.jpeg

IMG_8260.jpeg

IMG_8256.jpeg

IMG_8262.jpeg

IMG_8265.jpeg

IMG_8248.jpeg

IMG_8257.jpeg
Beautiful setup! Looks like you did it yourselfā€¦impressive! And you did it in the snow, you sir have reached mountain man status.

Cost I was looking at was $4599 + $500 lighting control + tax. Maybe I got that wrong.

EDIT: yeah you donā€™t need the lighting control, thought that was the LED control screen for the shocks

Last edited:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Beautiful setup! Looks like you did it yourselfā€¦impressive! And you did it in the snow, you sir have reached mountain man status.

Cost I was looking at was $4599 + $500 lighting control + tax. Maybe I got that wrong.

EDIT: yeah you donā€™t need the lighting control, thought that was the LED control screen for the shocks
I didnā€™t get the lighting control either. It just adds switches for accessory lights so you con control them from the t-case touch screen/click wheel. I was out of switches, but spent $199 on a four switch Voswitch instead. I didnā€™t want to look down at a touch screen to find lights either.

I did do the install myself. Itā€™s really not to bad. They are very smart to create multiple working harnesses that connect together. That way you donā€™t need to figure out routing for one monster harness. The most difficult is the shift knob install, but I figured out the trick after a bit of fiddling.

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
Please tell me youā€™re not driving it on the highway without a rear swaybar.

Edit: I donā€™t care how fast people drive without swaybars off road. But on public roads with highway speeds, itā€™s only a matter of time before another driver does something stupid that you need to react to at high speeds. One could easily lose control with an unplanned high speed maneuver without a rear or front swaybar.
Most trucks and Jeeps before the mid 90s didn't even come with rear sway bars. It's not as scary as you think. Even the 4cyl tjs into the 2000s got no rear sway bar and that is a tiny wheelbase by comparison.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Does eclik have a website? Canā€™t find it
Sponsored