Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I didn't have to pay for the research and development or the related components involved with ESS.
It's likely saving you money - EPA/CAFE credits or fines. If they pay the millions in fines, they need to pass the costs along to buyers. So this is cheaper, keeps them inline with the goofy regulations. Jeep/FCA could never meet the rules without such "credits". So it's letting Jeep live longer, likely keeping the fines down.
You summed it up fine - it is what it is........ and Jeep ain't the only ones.
Sponsored

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
It's likely saving you money - EPA/CAFE credits or fines. If they pay the millions in fines, they need to pass the costs along to buyers. So this is cheaper, keeps them inline with the goofy regulations. Jeep/FCA could never meet the rules without such "credits". So it's letting Jeep live longer, likely keeping the fines down.
You summed it up fine - it is what it is........ and Jeep ain't the only ones.
That is a good point but "We the people" make the laws. I believe there is a small crowd pushing it, and that takes us to a forbidden chapter. If enough people stand up and fight or at least push back a little we won't be forced to pay for the forced programs.Making us pay for expensive, experimental science projects is just insane.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That is a good point but "We the people" make the laws. I believe there is a small crowd pushing it, and that takes us to a forbidden chapter. If enough people stand up and fight or at least push back a little we won't be forced to pay for the forced programs.Making us pay for expensive, experimental science projects is just insane.
My mother would be having a real fit if she was still alive and had to give up her stove........

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
My mother would be having a real fit if she was still alive and had to give up her stove........
My mom is the same way. Had to repair the old stove because she didn't want the newer style with electric start. Wanted that pilot light. I just said okay ma I'll fix it.

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
I think our factory charging systems suck. Iā€™ve been driving for nearly 40 years and can someone tell me why, with this JT, I need to have a battery charger close by to keep these batteries charged? I have never in all my other miles put behind me in other vehicles, easily 30 plus vehicles in my care, have I needed to be so ā€œupā€ on the batteries. ??

A couple months back i turfed both my factory batteries for a big ass H7 Optima yellow top and upgraded the aux (non Mopar) with real hope that id finally be able to uninstall my battery tender charger and just forget about having to maintain the charge on both. I was having to hook up the charger every 3-4 days to bring the 12.4v back up to 12.7-13v. The wife and I got tired of the ritual so I convinced her we needed to roll the dice on the most expensively convenient available batteries I could find and did the root canal from up top and yanked them both. Laid out a good $800+ Canadian dollars and got it done. I decided to keep the aux system because, in my mind, I was of the belief, ā€˜thereā€™s nothing wrong with the system as it is engineered. The batteries are badā€™. So while everybody else was turfing the little guy, I decided to keep it and see what happens.

The dash charge indicator eluded to nothing wrong, showing typical charge numbers 13-14ishV. I also independently charged both batteries to 13+v, uninstalled the tender and reset the IBS and put both these bad boys in there place.

I forgot about them for the first 3 weeks since putting them in because were suppose to forget about them and drove all over mid to southern Alberta enjoying the summer and Fall. After about the first 3 weeks or so I had this little inclination to hook up the multimeter and do a load test.

(Someone recently told me I have problems because I go looking for it.. hmmmm, I am on top of most things and maybe that even explains why our health and financial systems are so badā€¦šŸ¤·šŸ¼) ā€˜just leave it alone and the whole world would just heal and recover on its own

My load test showed 12.4v?! What? So I hooked up my charger until it shut itself off and said full. Another 2- 3 weeks go by and the load test says 12.4v again. Then ā€¦.šŸ˜³ the wife caught me taking off the battery charger the other morning and because she doesnā€™t understand just how finicky this system is, put on her army boots and reminded me of all the hundreds of dollars we paid to have the best batteries put in and what the frI$&k I was doing with having to charge them again??!

IDK. I tried to help her understand the data that said the old system needed to be charged every 3-4 days and now the new system needs it every 2-3 weeksā€¦.. it wasnā€™t a pleasant conversation to say the least and here I am defending and deflecting because I donā€™t get it.

I have a theoryā€¦ the battery monitoring system, ā€œthe brainā€ or what ever, doesnā€™t like the batteries to be ā€œfullā€ so it dumps the charge out some ā€˜back doorā€™ to keep them ā€¦depleted for some good reason. Maybe full batteries all the time have a greater chance to self ignite šŸ¤·šŸ¼.

Crazy thought?
Disclaimer: I donā€™t know about your theory because Iā€™m not an engineer. I only pretend to be one on this forum.šŸ‘
There are those that wake up every morning and rub one out to pictures of jeeps. They will probably tell you that all is normal.
Itā€™ justā€¦..
ā€¦.peristaltic draw
ā€¦.not driving enough
ā€¦.bad batteries and more bad batteries
ā€¦.bla bla bla
Yes, of course, thereā€™s always a chance something is in fact wrong other than the s&@t battery or unnecessary ESS system. You will have to make that call on your own.

Iā€™m not telling you that you should do what Iā€™m about to mention. The doā€™s and donā€™t of doing this have been discussed to death then dug up and discussed to another death several times. I will only tell you that it has worked for me on two JTā€™s and I think it has worked for a few others on this forum. Maybe I should add that my JT sits for 1-2werks at a time in all temperatures and starts every time. Guess Iā€™m just lucky?
Disconnect the neg wire from the aux to the main batt. Wire tie it out of the way and shield it from shorting on anything. Pull fuse F42. Buy or reuse the large main batt that you already replaced. Hopefully itā€™s not already damaged.
Donā€™t forget to disconnect the main batt, charge it with the correct charger, and reset the IBS again.
After you do this, the system will operate as it did without interference/involving (canā€™t think of the word) the aux batt. You can choose to push the ESS button at every startup or not.
Should you have warranty issues, reconnect the neg cable, put F42 back and go to the dealership. Personally, Iā€™d rather put my nutts in a vice rather than let the nonservice center wast my time. However, some people seem to have lots of spare time on their hands? Maybe you know of a decent service center? Unfortunately, there are occasions you just have to play the BS game because jeep seems to do nothing to monitor the unethical behavior of a few worthless service department that are allowed to function.
If you have to reverse the aux delete, the entire process will take five minutes to undo. Thereā€™s also a couple vids available on this procedure if you need it.
I decided to remove the aux batt, fuse , and get a ESS bypass cable so that I donā€™t have to press the dumb button every time. I decided to remove the aux batt because I felt it was safe than just shielding the negative cable from grounding out on something. The downside is it takes alot longer to reverse the Aux delete for dealer visits. Like I said, I try to avoid that anyway.
I hope you find something to remedy the frustration.

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Disclaimer: I donā€™t know about your theory because Iā€™m not an engineer. I only pretend to be one on this forum.šŸ‘
There are those that wake up every morning and rub one out to pictures of jeeps. They will probably tell you that all is normal.
Itā€™ justā€¦..
ā€¦.peristaltic draw
ā€¦.not driving enough
ā€¦.bad batteries and more bad batteries
ā€¦.bla bla bla
Yes, of course, thereā€™s always a chance something is in fact wrong other than the s&@t battery or unnecessary ESS system. You will have to make that call on your own.

Iā€™m not telling you that you should do what Iā€™m about to mention. The doā€™s and donā€™t of doing this have been discussed to death then dug up and discussed to another death several times. I will only tell you that it has worked for me on two JTā€™s and I think it has worked for a few others on this forum. Maybe I should add that my JT sits for 1-2werks at a time in all temperatures and starts every time. Guess Iā€™m just lucky?
Disconnect the neg wire from the aux to the main batt. Wire tie it out of the way and shield it from shorting on anything. Pull fuse F42. Buy or reuse the large main batt that you already replaced. Hopefully itā€™s not already damaged.
Donā€™t forget to disconnect the main batt, charge it with the correct charger, and reset the IBS again.
After you do this, the system will operate as it did without interference/involving (canā€™t think of the word) the aux batt. You can choose to push the ESS button at every startup or not.
Should you have warranty issues, reconnect the neg cable, put F42 back and go to the dealership. Personally, Iā€™d rather put my nutts in a vice rather than let the nonservice center wast my time. However, some people seem to have lots of spare time on their hands? Maybe you know of a decent service center? Unfortunately, there are occasions you just have to play the BS game because jeep seems to do nothing to monitor the unethical behavior of a few worthless service department that are allowed to function.
If you have to reverse the aux delete, the entire process will take five minutes to undo. Thereā€™s also a couple vids available on this procedure if you need it.
I decided to remove the aux batt, fuse , and get a ESS bypass cable so that I donā€™t have to press the dumb button every time. I decided to remove the aux batt because I felt it was safe than just shielding the negative cable from grounding out on something. The downside is it takes alot longer to reverse the Aux delete for dealer visits. Like I said, I try to avoid that anyway.
I hope you find something to remedy the frustration.
Things just improved over the months. My driving habits never changed and the batteries have just stayed full. Itā€™s working as it should and no need to put a tender on.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
That is internet hysteria that just keeps getting spread by the uninformed. The vehicle gives you plenty of indication that the batteries need attention before it gets to that point.

The ESS system is always active and cannot be disabled or removed. The button on the dash, and other options available, just prevent it from turning the engine off when ESS calls for it.
How true and not just the Aux Battery topic. if you are under warranty and have any electrical issues they can and will deny warranty claims for that instance and any going forward. I've been a victim of the electrical issue warranty denial and others have mentioned that too on this forum. Magnesson will not protect you because you modified the system.
Sponsored