Sponsored

Bak Revolver X4S or Diamondback HD...Which one and why?

MAG00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler '13 JKU
Occupation
Project Manager
Bak revolver X4S versus Diamondback HD: Take pricing out of the equation. Which bed cover and why? I realize they are different styles, but would like input on one versus the other. Or why one over the other? In other words, which one would you pick and why?

- I can see the the diamondback would be stronger, maybe more secure, and could haul on top of. However, you may be limited by only being able to lift the front or back and not opening up the bed for larger cargo without having to remove something.
- I can see the Bak Revolver X4S being lighter and easier to access the entire bed or opening up the bed for larger cargo.
- Both seem to be good, quality products with good reviews and good companies
- I realize the diamondback is pricer, but for the sake of this thread take pricing out of the equation.

Thanks and look forward to hearing feedback.
Sponsored

AlpineChip

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Went with the Diamondback and could not be happier. Access (for me) isn't an issue and the ability to remove it when necessary, in an easy manner made the choice simple. Doing a tie down of anything on top of it makes a much easier packing scenario as well. No water or dirt issues while on the trail is great.

BigBry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave
My Diamondback arrives Friday and chose it for the security, the ability to put stuff on top and the many accessories they offer. 1 Thorax rack on the front lid for gas and stuff and I’m set.

Janga

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I went with diamond back the (switch back) it is more versatile than the other diamond back covers imo. I really thought hard about the revolver, both are good but I think the diamond back will last much longer.

Wildboar

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator Willy’s
Occupation
Retired
I’ve used the Diamondback on my last 3 trucks and I’ve never looked back. I didn’t buy the HD for the gladiator because frankly I don’t see ever putting anything over 500 pounds on it. I also bought the headache rack and was able to carry lumber without a problem. I also carry my 14’ Hobie Pro Angler on it. Now, for the sales pitch:
I sold my gladiator and now am selling the Diamondback Message me if anyone is interested. I added additional cleats, the tool bar and the headache rack.

67372032175__37F76A48-48B9-46C5-AC44-277FC4336809.jpeg

67371817943__4B83FD95-228A-4F57-BA7D-D0844F2B0C09.jpeg

Sponsored

Borismtngoat

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Diesel
Occupation
Self employed
I’ve used the Diamondback on my last 3 trucks and I’ve never looked back. I didn’t buy the HD for the gladiator because frankly I don’t see ever putting anything over 500 pounds on it. I also bought the headache rack and was able to carry lumber without a problem. I also carry my 14’ Hobie Pro Angler on it. Now, for the sales pitch:
I sold my gladiator and now am selling the Diamondback Message me if anyone is interested. I added additional cleats, the tool bar and the headache rack.

Jeep Gladiator Bak Revolver X4S or Diamondback HD...Which one and why? 67371817943__4B83FD95-228A-4F57-BA7D-D0844F2B0C09

Jeep Gladiator Bak Revolver X4S or Diamondback HD...Which one and why? 67371817943__4B83FD95-228A-4F57-BA7D-D0844F2B0C09
Well here comes the big question: what’s the price? I’ve got the exact same rig, Willy’s in white just the ecodiesel. Helps me to picture this right on the back. I’m needing to pack some extra long ladders and the headache rack would be nice.

Isn’t it challenging to open with anything mounted on top? That’s my biggest rub vs rolling up the revolver.

Wildboar

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator Willy’s
Occupation
Retired
$1500, and I never had an issue with getting items in the back, even with the Hobie. Just drop the tailgate and reach. 😎. I like the security and waterproofing of this. Once in a great while, you get a little trickle of water on the wheel wells, but never anything of any significance. Those pics don’t show the additional cleats. There are 4 on each side.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I switched from the diamondback SE to the revolver. I like to be able to haul stuff and taking the diamondback off is not a quick process. I did it several times and just was done with it.
I did install channels slots on top.

I have rhino rack cross bars over the revolver using the built in t-slot channels. So opening the revolver would be a little challenging for anyone to break in to. The cross bars are locked, but can come on in seconds.

The revolver does leak more than the diamondback. So there's that. 😂

My diamondback is the there for sale section for anyone in the soCal area. :)

nickd

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Bright White
I have the BAK revolved x4s and it is AWESOME! Easy to use, looks good and doesn't take up a lot of space.

HOWEVER, after a little over a year it broke with just normal use. I made a warranty claim and Real Truck is easy to work with and they are sending me an entirely new replacement cover.

That being said I don't have much confidence this next cover wont break in a similar fashion. The rolling slat design that is secured via rubber straps does not lend itself well to holding up over time.

NVjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2023 JT
Occupation
Retired

67372032175__37F76A48-48B9-46C5-AC44-277FC4336809.jpeg

67371817943__4B83FD95-228A-4F57-BA7D-D0844F2B0C09.jpeg
I will probably end up with a Diamondback on my truck eventually, I've been trying to decide between the SE and HD.
I wasn't aware they made a headache rack.

Sponsored

Wildboar

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator Willy’s
Occupation
Retired
In my experience I think you only really need an HD if you’re carrying an ATV or you put a RTT on it. I don’t think you can carry an ATV on a gladiator and if you’re putting a RTT on the truck, then you’ll never be able to open the cover, so really the SE is probably only necessary for the Jeep. And the headache rack is awesome.

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon - Hyrdro Blue
I love my Bak X4s. It is super flexible to do whatever you need it to. In the cases I want to remove it, that can be done in a matter of a few minutes. It’s pretty easy.
for me the diamondback is too inflexible, but I do a lot of different things with my truck. It isn’t a good match for me.
I have had mine about 2 1/2 years with no problems or wear at all.

ErylFlynn

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkn Mojave, 2008 JK Unlimited Det Yellow
So what are the steps to take off the diamond back and how heavy is it? I will need the full bed occasionally and would need to take it off by myself.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
The rearmost panel comes off the easiest. You unlatch the struts, rotate upwards and slide out and up.
The forward panel is the same, but additionally requires the removal a safety cable that is bolted in.
The middle section requires unclamping 4 canopy style bed clamps.
The panels are not light, but doable with a regular amount of upper body strength. They are big so a little awkward.
Putting back on means making sure you got it in that sweet spot so everything lines up again like the guide rods that were adjusted at the initial install.
And then you have to dial in the 4 clamps as to not over crush the bed caps, even with the shims and make sure that they are even as you tighten them. Otherwise, you'll see them lying in your bed after one of the fell off. 😂

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
I have the BAK 4Xs and have been extremely pleased. Even had a warranty issue and they sent a new one out within a week. My son liked it so much that he got one for his RAM. What I like about it the most, is that when I roll it up, it does not block my view out of the rear window. I know nothing about the other choice, but very pleased with my purchase.

Bak 1.jpg

Bak 2 (2).jpg
Sponsored