Sponsored

Besides a snorkel, what mods are needed for a Jeep to go this deep in water?

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
This is cool...but how many more inches of fjording depth do you gain from otiginal OEM air intake?
None really, but it saves your engine should your passenger front dip down unexpectedly and/or you get stuck. Your vent tubes should still be fine but the snorkel buys you time from water getting sucked in from the unexpected depth increase
Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
In all seriousness, the electrical. Coil in plug will take a dump. Ultimate water fording was old school diesels, no electronics, no spark plugs. Just keep water out of the intake any go as low as you wanna go.
Yep, on the modern engines, the electronics are the big issue. Get water in them and no go.

Haven't seen an issue with the coil in plug, they're pretty well sealed.

So what's this I am reading about water getting into the following:

hub seal, tube seal, pinion seal, or shaft seal, with ujoints/cardigan stems ball joints/tierod ends

How likely is this to happen? I dont even see these areas rusting as an issue in Jk discussions
That's all post trail maintenance. If your 4x4 is in good shape, you won't have issue during the trail run. However, once you get back from a deep water trip, you'll want to grease everything, change fluids etc.

The water sucked up the tail pipe is a myth. Shutting off the engine won't suck it up. However if you are not moving and the water level is higher than the engine, the water could work its way through the exhaust up to the engine. All depends on air traps and vehicle position.

Years ago we watched a Mitsu Montero get stuck in a deep mud hole, all his buddies were yelling at him to keep it running, while we were telling him to shut it down because the air filter box was on the low side at water level. You guessed it..... he listened to his buddies and kept it running, until the water went into the the air box, flooded the engine and rattle, rattle, BANG! First we were 😲, then we were 😂😂😂!

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
None really, but it saves your engine should your passenger front dip down unexpectedly and/or you get stuck. Your vent tubes should still be fine but the snorkel buys you time from water getting sucked in from the unexpected depth increase
I get it man but if I'm stuck in 3'+ of water I'm turning it off. Because at that point the only thing your saving is the engine. Everything below the water line is compromised.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get it man but if I'm stuck in 3'+ of water I'm turning it off. Because at that point the only thing your saving is the engine. Everything below the water line is compromised.
Right. I am thinking the breather tubes for diffs and transferfcase, which should be at 30" on a stock JT, should be fine once in water if submerged below 30". I'm talking worst-case scenario. They have been reported to be, and look to be, Gore membrane caps - let air pass, but not water. So, once the diff and transfer case are in water, but below 30", the temp is low enough where the vacuum force isn't sucking in a lot of air very forcefully through the breather tubes, and thus the submerged breather tubes should allow air out, but not water in by simply being under water a little (because you're not going down depths where there's significant pressure. On the old differential breather tubes, as I have read here, they were valves, opening and closing with the pressure/vacuum force. Hence, if they were submerged too quickly water could get sucked in before they closed all the way, or below a certain depth under water the water could push it's way past the valve. Just my reasoning/thoughts anyway, I am a novice.

I wonder if there would be a way to test this. Set up a vacuum force measuring device on the rear diff tube, then submerge it in water and measure the vacuum force. Then, take a replacement tube (same product number ordered), and attach it to a vacuum that could generate the same force, submerge the tube end under water, and see if the force is enough to get past the membrane in a worse-case scenario. A more appropriate test would be to submerge the tube end with the Gore membrane under a few inches of water and see if water gets through.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
This is cool...but how many more inches of fjording depth do you gain from orignal OEM air intake?
None, because the fording depth isn't based on the intake alone and that's really why this is just as good as the fender and up type. I get hate for saying this every time but snorkels in modern vehicles are almost entirely for dust and at that, it excels so far.

I have zero intent to drive in water over my hood but this draws air from above the hood instead of from the fender well and now I don't have to worry about splashing water into the airbox.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And for my own reference later:

Jeep Gladiator Besides a snorkel, what mods are needed for a Jeep to go this deep in water? 1feaba3ec116349ee615379695189949

Transmission Vent - 4799861AB (#3)

Transmission breather tube (#1)

Jeep Gladiator Besides a snorkel, what mods are needed for a Jeep to go this deep in water? ae8e6e9100c2708b1d5299970249b13e

Front Axle Vent 68463497AA (#6)

Front Axle Vent Tube 68283292AD (#13)

Odd how the front axle has a dedicated vent to connect the tube to but rear doesn't.

Jeep Gladiator Besides a snorkel, what mods are needed for a Jeep to go this deep in water? 8a257caf9f0e2a74fcb8b6e01eb0d4b3

Rear Axle Vent Bolt -52114267AB (#9)

Rear Axle Vent Hose - 68338693AD (#8)

So the Transfer Case does not have a vent tube, just a vent!

Jeep Gladiator Besides a snorkel, what mods are needed for a Jeep to go this deep in water? 241dbd8f34141ed90b1720410c7834a8

Transfer Case Vent - 68385085AA (#6)

I think this goes to the little hole adjacent to fuel fill hole. Probably not important to consider.
Fuel Tank Vent tube 68335021aa

Last edited:
OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have zero intent to drive in water over my hood
Neither do I, but stuff happens. Driving down a creek or flooded road due to emergency and suddenly the road dips further than you remember...
Engine is the most important part. You can run muddy water-oil in the diffs for a little while and it's cheap and easy to replace. Transmission fluid, a little harder. But neither add up to the cost of an engine, or even needing it to work when the time comes. Nothing worse than potentially losing the entire vehicle because engine hydrolocks and your entire Jeep gets washed away when if you had a snorkle, yah you might damage gears but you can keep driving to get out of the water.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Neither do I, but stuff happens. Driving down a creek or flooded road due to emergency and suddenly the road dips further than you remember...
Engine is the most important part. You can run muddy water-oil in the diffs for a little while and it's cheap and easy to replace. Transmission fluid, a little harder. But neither add up to the cost of an engine, or even needing it to work when the time comes. Nothing worse than potentially losing the entire vehicle because engine hydrolocks and your entire Jeep gets washed away when if you had a snorkle, yah you might damage gears but you can keep driving to get out of the water.
Yeah but at what point are you sacrificing what you want for the .01% where you must drive through 4' of standing water? It all comes down to the look you want and I'm all for preparation but there gets to be a point where you're making sacrifices for something that has little chance of happening.

Now for breathers, you're on the right track... I like the Hawk storkel because it comes with its own airbox and that airbox is drilled for fittings I can use to route in my breathers when I get around to them. That will effectively seal my setup to the hood and that's plenty for me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah but at what point are you sacrificing what you want for the .01% where you must drive through 4' of standing water? It all comes down to the look you want and I'm all for preparation but there gets to be a point where you're making sacrifices for something that has little chance of happening.

Now for breathers, you're on the right track... I like the Hawk storkel because it comes with its own airbox and that airbox is drilled for fittings I can use to route in my breathers when I get around to them. That will effectively seal my setup to the hood and that's plenty for me.
Right and that's where I think is a good middle ground. This thread was created because 30y later Jeeps done seem as...resilient/rugged as Landcruisers were. When I see an old LC, I think "tough as railroad ties!"

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
How do you seal against water getting in? Any particular references on the subject?
On some M35a1 2 1/2 trucks they had a slight positive pressure of air added to help (???) When flipping a toggle switch on bottom of dash. Did it work well as far as I know it did in a few that I drove that had it did some didn't. Rockwell axles hold a lot of gear oil too and have a few points to leak.
That can be done to some components but not all, if you are planning on running it like a boat or sub it would be a good idea to look into it. Check out the "swamp running" buggies them guys years back was doing some crazy stuff. Sealed coils, wires and spark plugs is critical and to carry a can of WD-40 I've had to use it to clean / dry it on the old Ford I had after going through some water. On seals that's a big reason my XJ's pinion, axles shafts seals are leaking among other places too "grit in the water". To do a positive pressure it needs to very depending on depth to much you be pushing the oil out. A good coating of grease prior to water born operation was a method used in past too. Not quite earth friendly now I guess you can use bio (green) grease. 🤔

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Right and that's where I think is a good middle ground. This thread was created because 30y later Jeeps done seem as...resilient/rugged as Landcruisers were. When I see an old LC, I think "tough as railroad ties!"
I mean a Jeep has never been as tough and reliable in the remotest parts of the earth as a Land Cruiser. Jeeps were throw-away crate vehicles to start and while the LC was originally a Jeep copy, Toyota has long built them with a standard of 25 years in any conditions. We see the 80/100/200 here but the real Land Cruisers were built as work vehicles for farming, oil fields, and other industries where reliability and general capability in Bumfuckistan are paramount.

They may not crawl like a Jeep (which has long been a recreational/lifestyle vehicle) but as I've always believed: a Jeep will get you there, a Toyota will get you home.

The tradition in our group was that we always got pulled through the crazy shit by the Jeep guys but we were also the ones to tow the Jeeps back out when someone inevitably has drivability issues or hits the send pedal a bit too hard. We almost never had a breakdown among the Toyotas but then again, we also took the bypass tracks more often.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean a Jeep has never been as tough and reliable in the remotest parts of the earth as a Land Cruiser. Jeeps were throw-away crate vehicles to start and while the LC was originally a Jeep copy, Toyota has long built them with a standard of 25 years in any conditions. We see the 80/100/200 here but the real Land Cruisers were built as work vehicles for farming, oil fields, and other industries where reliability and general capability in Bumfuckistan are paramount.

They may not crawl like a Jeep (which has long been a recreational/lifestyle vehicle) but as I've always believed: a Jeep will get you there, a Toyota will get you home.

The tradition in our group was that we always got pulled through the crazy shit by the Jeep guys but we were also the ones to tow the Jeeps back out when someone inevitably has drivability issues or hits the send pedal a bit too hard. We almost never had a breakdown among the Toyotas but then again, we also took the bypass tracks more often.
Right, and Landcruisers have always cost way more. So, with added money, people should be able to raise Jeeps to LC toughness of old. And this thread (mostly) answered that was mostly possible. Still looking into the bit about axles being different

WilliamD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Student
I’m doing a diff breather relocation to the engine bay and I just want to ask if there’s a reason to stick with the stock gladiators spring hose clamps or can I used the little metal ones you tighten to clamp my breather hose (5/16 fuel line) to the barb on the diffs/transfer case.
Thank you!
Sponsored