Sponsored

Besides a snorkel, what mods are needed for a Jeep to go this deep in water?

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
You’ll get water in the differential and other places going that deep. You don’t just leave it. You have to replace it pretty soon.
My experience is if you keep moving steadily, the water doesn’t really get in. If you stop and go too slow or too fast, that’s when you have a problem.
I try and avoid mud and water deeper than about 2’.

PS Turn around, don’t drown.
What's too slow? 5mph is the recommended speed for deep water, per Jeep. Faster than that, and the thoughts by others here is that water gets pushed into places not designed to withstand the water pressure.
Sponsored

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I like the idea to throw on a couple pontoons and paddle wheel your way around.

There's a road in France that's popular because it's submerged with the tides 2x a day. I think it's called "Le Passage Du Gois". There's a less developed one I remember reading about but I can't recall where it was. I was thinking Venezuela but I'm coming up empty.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Was very flippant with my initial response...but there was some thought behind it. Think when you are getting into water that deep (assuming you don't really know how deep it will be and when/if you will lose traction with the earth's surface) a better question may be; how can you swim a jeep?
I remember being in my buddies 1987 Cherokee when he attempted to fjord a river. The ass end was so light it floated. We were literally stranded in the middle and were too light to get any traction. I think that's part of the problem with the JT. Especially with a fully inflated tire under the bed. My father-in-law had a Land cruiser with 40" inch tires and a v8. Every bit of it was steel. It wasn't floating. I think the issue isn't going in the water the issue is how long one is in there.

lostdd

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 19 Ascent, 97 TJ, 88 Sub, 58 Apache
Occupation
Body Shop Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Used to do this all the time with my TJ. Your entry into the water and consistent momentum through was key. Enter just enough to create a wave/wake up front helps form an air pocket in engine compartment and maintain speed and exhaust output so not to suck up water through exhaust. The problem was afterward- having to change all fluids, seals and greasing/silicone necessary parts for maintenance. P.S. All done without a snorkel.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
What's too slow? 5mph is the recommended speed for deep water, per Jeep. Faster than that, and the thoughts by others here is that water gets pushed into places not designed to withstand the water pressure.
Whatever speed maintains a consistent bow wave is the target... it's something you just need to get a feel for in each individual vehicle but I've found a bit over 5mph to be about right. Too slow is better than too fast though... too slow might give the seals opportunity to leak but going too fast can do things like bend a fan and push it into the radiator.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever speed maintains a consistent bow wave is the target... it's something you just need to get a feel for in each individual vehicle but I've found a bit over 5mph to be about right. Too slow is better than too fast though... too slow might give the seals opportunity to leak but going too fast can do things like bend a fan and push it into the radiator.
I learned the speed/bow thing last week. I found 5mph kept the bow a nice smooth wave at about 25" of water, when the bow/water got a little turbulent I slowed down a smidge to get it back to being smooth

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I always liked the idea of reversing through deep water to avoid intake/alternator damage. I saw a corvette do it here in Houston a few years back lol.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've done a few water fordings in Mil. Hummers, M35 trucks, 5tons, M113s, my old Ford Explorer PU, 4wheelers and 90XJ. A thing that I learned as a young kid that as long as engine is running it won't "suck" water up the tailpipe... But if you let it shut off game over.
(Spring flood waters covered a lot of roads where my family from. Something that I didn't like even then was riding in vehicle's "crossing" though the flooded areas due if bridge washed out or vehicle off road it would be game over) that happened to some people every year.
Now back to subject on it. New seals are fairly well at sealing oil "in" double flange seals are better but not always used on every component. Charging system comes to mind. All Vents need to be above water.. axles, T-case, transmission, engine, steering (Power) electric connections need sealed (older with dist. cap need sealed and vented) good spark plugs wires sealed. Very important the fuel tank vent lines need raised too. That one is from personal experience too! Not a good time doing a water crossing with a 1/2-3/4 tank and finish with a full tank 🤪 warm/hot metal contracts cooling will draw in water. The seals will have shorter life and start leaking... Mud,sand and grit in the water your crossing some can start failing a very short time later.... axle shaft seals... Rear main seal too. 😳

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I lived in Ethiopia for awhile. Drove these two vehicles for the NGO. God they were awesome. Really miss turning the lock on the wheel itself. Tires were usually bald but we ran tubes and somehow managed to get out of everything... Learned a lot.

(Pictures generic from internet. Ours were squared off on the front, and beat the hell up.)

1615493065299.png

1615493181303.png
Somalia is pretty shitty, but the best sunrises ive seen were on the coast. Toyota took me everywhere I needed to get. Love that truck.

39A26965-478D-4149-AC6F-5FE235C4455F.jpeg
777A0C4F-338B-4A26-B13E-68917C1DA4E7.jpeg
13BC76F6-6A2D-43EF-AAD2-731F4EF38B91.jpeg
52954E98-F270-4A45-9ED7-960B2461308B.jpeg
A0537C53-B295-46D2-BDF7-3C7A8DE9F0D1.jpeg
65C33002-0812-4CBA-9562-D8AC1E736EAF.jpeg
4BBF8460-0201-41D9-938E-C05076FE931C.jpeg

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New seals are fairly well at sealing oil "in" double flange seals are better but not always used on every component. Charging system comes to mind.
How do you seal against water getting in? Any particular references on the subject? Is there any downside such as compromising the retention power of the seal or adding to heat retention?

For those who wants a low profile in shallow water I found this
https://haukoffroad.com/snorkels/jl-jt-expedition-snorkel/
Almost perfect, don't like how it can obstruct the view a bit, but love the below-hood install

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
For those who wants a low profile in shallow water I found this
https://haukoffroad.com/snorkels/jl-jt-expedition-snorkel/
Great piece, but the fit is super tight under the cowl and at the rear of the hood. I need to pull mine apart and trim a bit more plastic under the cowl because what they directed wasn't enough.

But the look is flat out awesome and it's super functional. Much less an issue with dust in the filter and much more discrete.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Last edited: