Bilstein 5100

irish_love

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
How does it ride with that full load of firewood? Based on that pic I probably will need their HD springs. I'm assuming that load of wood was probably 200-300 pounds?
It rode fine. It was at least 300 pounds in wood, as tree wasn't as dry as I thought. Just stock piled for next year. Also, since it was winter in Montana when I got fire wood, I had 120lbs of sand bags in the bed. So probably ~500lbs total.

If you are kitted out for overlanding or lots of towing I'd look into the high capacity springs.
Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I can double check what Bilstein 5100 shocks I am running with my Clayton 2.5" coils when I get home in a couple hours.

I bought mine through Kolak Performance. Nick is a really good guy to deal with. Great prices and service. He's been a Bilstein dealer forever and probably knows Bilstein part #s and lengths off the top of his head.
Sorry, I thought I'd be able to find part #s on my Bilstein 5100s, but I couldn't.

kaeo_15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I don’t know if it helps. But, I referenced this chart quite a bit when selecting shocks.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/shock-specifications-thread.38266/

I was able to get a clear idea of the extended and compressed lengths of what I was running and how they compared to what I planned on using. Helped me see if I had enough bump in front to keep from over-compressing the shock and didn’t get too long in the rear (springs unseating at max extension, needing longer brake lines, etc.). Becomes more important when mixing-and-matching components.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Im wondering if the digressive shock style is compressed length dependent.

My current rear shocks are the fox smooth 2.0s. which are meant for 2-3 in of lift. The Bilsteins ones im looking at are meant for 1.5 - 2.5in of lift.

Im wondering of the change in compressed length will change how the shock performs.

kaeo_15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I believe there are better options than others when factoring in total lift, spring free length, etc. I am pretty sure that Bilstein lists their compressed and extended lengths so you can get an idea of how they will differ compared to the 2.0s.

I think performance will depend on where the shock sits in its stroke at ride height. Too long and it will be more compressed at ride height and have less room to compress over bumps, etc., but should have more down travel. Too short being the opposite.

I am definitely not an expert here. Just done a lot of research in hopes of finding a better “weekend warrior” setup.

Sponsored

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
It rode fine. It was at least 300 pounds in wood, as tree wasn't as dry as I thought. Just stock piled for next year. Also, since it was winter in Montana when I got fire wood, I had 120lbs of sand bags in the bed. So probably ~500lbs total.

If you are kitted out for overlanding or lots of towing I'd look into the high capacity springs.
nice same state

Im wondering if the digressive shock style is compressed length dependent.

My current rear shocks are the fox smooth 2.0s. which are meant for 2-3 in of lift. The Bilsteins ones im looking at are meant for 1.5 - 2.5in of lift.

Im wondering of the change in compressed length will change how the shock performs.
i think length has some factor but from that article it sounds like internal design is the biggest factor. I find it interesting that bilsteins are regressive. I would expect that progressive would offer better performance while allowing for a smooth ride but it sounded opposite when I read that. Although reading as one is falling asleep probably doesnt net the best understanding.

But, after reading that it does have me question again the 5100’s for my particular case. I would like a stiffer shock on harder impacts but things like potholes should be nice and smooth.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the 5100s today, as well as a falcon ts stabilizer. What a phenomenal difference!! Unreal how much better it feels.

Realized today my front shocks were gone..oil leaking out and everything. So im glad i went through with getting these.

Pics/video incoming tomorrow, when its light outside

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
My truck had semi-blown fronts as well. Showed up as a crashing against the bump stops when going over speed bumps no faster than was typical with other cars. When I pulled them sure enough oil was leaking. But this was after just a week or so of off roading. Jeep, master of off road, couldn't put in shocks that could survive off road! Sport model. Same thing happened with my 90s Ram pickup.

Sponsored

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
I installed the 5100s today, as well as a falcon ts stabilizer. What a phenomenal difference!! Unreal how much better it feels.

Realized today my front shocks were gone..oil leaking out and everything. So im glad i went through with getting these.

Pics/video incoming tomorrow, when its light outside
Great to hear, I still have my set and ready to throw them on. Why didn't you just go with the bilstein damper as well?

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Great to hear, I still have my set and ready to throw them on. Why didn't you just go with the bilstein damper as well?
I have one on my wifes JLU, and actually have a spare sitting in my garage. It seems to be just as good as the fox steering damper. I was hoping for a little more performance out of the through shaft falcon damper. Which on my drive last night it definitely seemed to be comparable when set to medium. I’m also hoping that while I’m pulling my camper, I can set the falcon stabilizer to the hard setting, and it might provide a little bit more handling While pulling.

If it turns out that it’s no better or worse than my fox damper I will be installing the billstein one I have on standby.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I’m glad you posted about this as I’m considering between the Fox 2.0 and the Bilstein 5100s right now myself. I have Rubi takeoffs and I’ve never been very happy with the ride. What’s your reason for ditching the Foxs and liking at the Bilstein? From everything I’ve read the Bilsteins are firmer is the biggest difference.
FOX always had this reputation in my eye as an industry leader (along with Bilstein) but i have to say the product on my Rubicon have not lived up to the reputation. I am 20k into my 2021 Rubicon and the Dealer is already replacing one. Well supposed to be replacing one. They can't seem to get it for me. It has been over 8 weeks since they first told me and i schedule the service. They called me to postpone the service until they get the shock. He didnt even want to reschedule because they don't even know when they can get me a new shock. I can see Bilstein factory form my house HAHAHA. Thier headqaurters is less than a mile form me.

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
FOX always had this reputation in my eye as an industry leader (along with Bilstein) but i have to say the product on my Rubicon have not lived up to the reputation. I am 20k into my 2021 Rubicon and the Dealer is already replacing one. Well supposed to be replacing one. They can't seem to get it for me. It has been over 8 weeks since they first told me and i schedule the service. They called me to postpone the service until they get the shock. He didnt even want to reschedule because they don't even know when they can get me a new shock. I can see Bilstein factory form my house HAHAHA. Thier headqaurters is less than a mile form me.
Yeah, I'm really disappointed in the Rubicon "Fox" shocks after 12k miles or so. They certainly didn't live up to the Fox brand hype. It may be unfair, but it really lowered my consideration of the Fox 2.0 because of these. I focused a lot of attention on the Bilstein 5100s because of that, but was concerned they would be too firm for when I do occasionally go offroad. This lead me to look more at the Eibach Pro-truck shocks as they are supposedly firm like the 5100s on road, but because of the way they are valved they take bigger hits softer so a little better for rocks and potholes. I couldn't find any reviews though for our application (mostly 4Runners, Tacomas, etc) so I jumped in head first and just ordered a set last week and will see if I made a good choice or should of just went with the 5100s after they arrive and I install them.

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
I ordered a .75 for the rear as I already have the Teralfex 1.5" for the front. Just wondering if I need shock extentions for the bilstein 5100 0-1.5". I think I screwed up by not going the next size up.
Sponsored