Sponsored

Blinking blue light under steering wheel?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn't that a CCR song? "Let the Blue Light Special....Shine a light on me...." :idea:
Uh, Midnight, but that's ok, it's almost midnight............ you're tired.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Looks like most dealers are doing this sort of thing on almost everything they sell - and not telling us (referring to my thread about the "mystery device" that nearly fell out from under my dash - turned out being a GPS tracking device - dealer installed)
I had a call where a lady had the same thing happen to her. She was convinced she was being tracked. It was only female end or docking part of the tracker though. She had owned the car for over a year. I spoke to the company that made the device and they informed me, after much convincing, that it was a deactivated gps device that the dealer had installed. I also called the dealer and they claimed to know nothing about this particular one. They did confirm they put those on vehicles they rent and it may have been a rental before they sold it.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
There is a tracking device that the dealer installed in mine. It is a GPS device that communicates over the cellular network. It is zip tied to the wire bundle above the OBD port. I don't remember them telling me about it. There was a sheet in the paperwork bundle telling me how to setup an account to access the device. Not only does it track location, it can be setup to alert if it exceeds preset speeds, or moves outside a defined area on the map.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There is a tracking device that the dealer installed in mine. It is a GPS device that communicates over the cellular network. It is zip tied to the wire bundle above the OBD port. I don't remember them telling me about it. There was a sheet in the paperwork bundle telling me how to setup an account to access the device. Not only does it track location, it can be setup to alert if it exceeds preset speeds, or moves outside a defined area on the map.
That's basically how mine was installed - but there was not a mention anywhere in any papers. I got the factory drawstring bag with the factory documents and then three sheets of paper - purchase contract, a sheet defining the terms used in the contract, and an odometer disclosure statement - that's ALL. It was the most simple purchase ever as far as lack of papers.

Here's mine opened up and the car out just because I like to dig into things.........

Jeep Gladiator Blinking blue light under steering wheel? 20200801_113421_HDR

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
That's not an inexpensive unit! We use AT&T for our fleet tracking, the hardware is $150 and for the heavies with ETL that goes to $350. The dealer is pretty lazy to leave units like that in sold vehicles.

That's basically how mine was installed - but there was not a mention anywhere in any papers. I got the factory drawstring bag with the factory documents and then three sheets of paper - purchase contract, a sheet defining the terms used in the contract, and an odometer disclosure statement - that's ALL. It was the most simple purchase ever as far as lack of papers.

Here's mine opened up and the car out just because I like to dig into things.........

Jeep Gladiator Blinking blue light under steering wheel? 20200801_113421_HDR

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's not an inexpensive unit! We use AT&T for our fleet tracking, the hardware is $150 and for the heavies with ETL that goes to $350. The dealer is pretty lazy to leave units like that in sold vehicles.
I was wondering about the cost - the thing is that my vehicle was ordered October 17th, it was delivered to the dealer at about 8am on November 15th and I picked it up that evening.
So it was a pre-sold special order truck - and it still got this thing installed.
Wow, 150 a pop?

Jeep Gladiator Blinking blue light under steering wheel? piggyback-3

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Yeah we were running 3 year leases with TeleTrac units with $300 hardware+installation at $35/mo back in 2014 when I got involved. Dropped to $20/mo after the lease payments were done, what a ripoff.

Went through several different competitors, got TeleTrac down to free hardware if we self-installed and $20/mo for 3 yr contracts, now pulling off-lease gear and using AT&T's FleetComplete for $16/mo and free hardware. Maybe they're getting a deal from Verizon? But still that's under contract hardware, then!

I was wondering about the cost - the thing is that my vehicle was ordered October 17th, it was delivered to the dealer at about 8am on November 15th and I picked it up that evening.
So it was a pre-sold special order truck - and it still got this thing installed.
Wow, 150 a pop?

Jeep Gladiator Blinking blue light under steering wheel? piggyback-3

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Can it be removed easily?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Can it be removed easily?
Yup. Mine just plugged into the OBD II port - I unplugged the cable and put the original OBD connector back in the bracket, cut the strap that held the device and foot or so of extra cable under the dash and pulled it down. (I cut the strap carefully so I could use it again for something else - I have not bought plastic tie straps in 20 years)

Readyt

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rimtyme.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Franchise Business Consultant
MOPAR EVTS as others said in this thread. It was on the sticker. Argued with the stealership regarding paying for this, but that was May 30th when Jeep wasn't building them and inventory was at a all time low. My desire for the truck outweighed my argument. I lost. Since purchase, I learned that its its more than tracking. Kind of like Chrysler's version of On Star.

OP
OP

GladiatorG8R

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
MOPAR EVTS as others said in this thread. It was on the sticker. Argued with the stealership regarding paying for this, but that was May 30th when Jeep wasn't building them and inventory was at a all time low. My desire for the truck outweighed my argument. I lost. Since purchase, I learned that its its more than tracking. Kind of like Chrysler's version of On Star.
You good with yours? Mine has it as well.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine wasn't MOPAR. And it wasn't on any paperwork or list. No added device is needed for the vehecle to be found, that's part of the uconnect stuff.

radioinstl

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be Gladiator
I thought Federal law required that a new car sold by a dealer is required to disclose any additions or alterations to the vehicle done post delivery from the manufacture.

In other words, anything not installed at the factory must be disclosed and listed.
Sponsored