First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
When will it be unreliable? AFTER the RV dealer fixes the short in the trailer?

If you want to talk smack about tech you don't understand, a closer reading of posts would help you sound less uninformed.

Except that it's bluetooth which is somewhat unreliable. And you said it fried wiring. Plus, if there's a factory option always go with the factory option.
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
When will it be unreliable? AFTER the RV dealer fixes the short in the trailer?

If you want to talk smack about tech you don't understand, a closer reading of posts would help you sound less uninformed.

and it begins

theMantheLegend

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator willys
Occupation
Software developer
I'm not talking "smack". Anyone with a brain understands a wireless connection is not better then a wired connection. Bluetooth itself is not a stable connection. It's range is short. It's constantly interfered with. Maybe do some research into the technology.

Last edited:

theMantheLegend

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator willys
Occupation
Software developer
"How's it unreliabel after dealer fixes it" Great question lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not talking "smack". Anyone with a Brian understand a wireless connection is not better then a wired connection. Bluetooth itself is not a stable connection. It's range is short. It's constantly interfered with. Maybe do some research into the technology.
I think Brianinca and the other member were trying to say...

Bluetooth its self has not alway been the most stable thing on the planet, yes thats correct. However the Ehco only needs the Bluetooth connection for user input from the phone. Once you set your settings, you dont need to reconnect to the device at all unless you want to change the settings, or use the phone based emergency button. The echo lets you just plug it in and it auto uses the last settings when plugged in, negating the concern over Bluetooth connectivity.

They also offer a button that works in conjunction with the phone app to allow you to not have the app up on your phone at all times. Though this is still a Bluetooth connection.

All that being said it is 2021 and the technology has come a LONG way in regards to reliability.

Here is a project done in 2007 regarding military application of bluetooh.
http://edge.rit.edu/edge/Reports/public/2006-07/Technical_Papers/P07304_Technical_Paper.pdf

The conclusion even says the tech is capable of meeting the rigorous standards of the military.

Regarding the range of the connection. Its pretty much a fixed range since the device is in the same place at all times, and the phone is always going to be within the same radius when driving. So range isnt an issue for the device.

Interference is a fair concern. But as far as Ive read there isnt really any of the usual interference culprits going on around your vehicle that will cause that issue while driving.

Just a couple examples of why I choose to trust the tech, and havent been disappointed. But I completely understand that my own findings are anecdotal. Most drivers stick to what they know, and some choose to try new things. Innovation is driven by trial and error, and thankfully the Echo hasn't seemed to error thus far.

I dont want to hijack the OPs thread by changing the topic. But wanted to give you a thought out response instead of just poking at you or dog piling.

Last edited:

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I used the echo controller for about 6 months, before I replaced it with the factory one. It worked perfectly. I do agree, I prefer a wired connection. I don’t trust a wireless connection like I do a wired one. I didn’t love having my phone dedicated to being the brake button. You have to mount it in a place so you can easily adjust and press the brake button.

It’s convenient for people that don’t have a brake controller built in, but if your going to continually use a controller, I wired one is more convenient. Less stuff to setup and prepare, when your hooking up.

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
I would probably go with the echo if it included the oh crap button, but to make you buy it as an extra rubs me the wrong way. Will probably go red arc.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
The issue is most folks don't understand the Eco is a wired break controller.

Took me a while to wrap my head around that.

It's a better "wired" unit than what folks see as wired. IE less in the way of it and the unit. The exco connects between the truck and the trailer. There is no wiring harness of the truck in the middle (go google trick wire harness issues and see how many pop up just here).

Take your factory controller, set it on the rear bumper and envision the trailer plugged directly into it. That's an Eco.

The only phone interface it to set the breaks up the first time. After that the oh crud button is there only for oh crud. As noted you can get a real button if that makes ya feel better.

Seriously how many times have you used the oh crud button?

I can think of once in all my towing of travel trailers 5ers box trailers etc, and that was not an oh snuggles moment.

Each his own :)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This has been covered....
Over and over it's been covered. The BT is only needed to configure or apply manually. Once it's set up you could technically toss the phone in the console.
Yes, BT is iffy and there are multiple standard and on and on but once it's set...........
Brake controllers don't fry wiring (VERY odd would be the one that did) and if one could do it, ANY could do it.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They also offer a button that works in conjunction with the phone app to allow you to not have the app up on your phone at all times. Though this is still a Bluetooth connection.
BUT that button is a DEDICATED connection, guaranteed to work with THEIR controller. Phones can have different versions and revisions. I have dealt with bluetooth since it came out - including a Bluetooth bridge in my house to connect cell phones to the house phone system, my hearing aids, headsets/microphones and more. With phones it can be iffy - one company's implementation of BT may not be as solid as another or work as well with something like the brake controller. But that button will be running the exact same version and implementation of BT as the brake controller itself. It will be a reliable connection not subject to the whim of a cell phone maker's version.

IF I didn't have a brake controller and for some reason decided to go with the Curt Echo - I'd use my phone to configure the controller but then I'd use the button and put the phone away.

Since Curt controls the Bluetooth implementation on each end - it's going to be better.

>> Regarding the range of the connection. Its pretty much a fixed range since the device is in the same place at all times, and the phone is always going to be within the same radius when driving. So range isnt an issue for the device.<<<

Range is weird - I can have my phone in the house (well insulated, etc. all doors and windows closed) and be in the garage (not attached, 20' from the house) and I can still catch a phone call in my hearing aids in the garage. That's going through the house wall, the garage wall and my phone and me a good 50 feet apart or more. Range would never be a concern for me with those controllers.

Another hiccup I've found with BT - MULTIPLE connections - if I use my phone for my OBD connection (jscan, etc.) then I find BT often needs to be turned off and one again to connect to the truck's BT. IF I am using it to set my hearing aids up, then it drops the truck connection sometimes - so how well it works will also depend on what else it's interacting with.

I avoid BT devices like the Curt Echo because my phone it already used for and connected to so many things - pH meter, hearing aids, truck, laptop, tablet, desktop computer, used as a TV remote and more! YMMV.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Except that it's bluetooth which is somewhat unreliable. And you said it fried wiring. Plus, if there's a factory option always go with the factory option.
Except in this case (as with some others) the factory option isn't the best option.
The Redarc controller is not only cheaper, it's better made and the model I have has dual operating modes. (if you want to save another 100 bucks, buy the cheaper single mode Redarc)
The Redarc dial and button are far better quality than the MOPAR controller dial. A lot of people have talked of that bit.
The factory controller works, but it's no more integrated into the truck than any other installed brake controller. Frankly, the only advantages are appearance and factory support with the truck.
They are all plug and play.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I think @ShadowsPapa comment about the fuse is being over looked here in this other nonsense.
ANY time you have a blown fuse something is WRONG.
People tend to think its just a fluke and bypass it or replace it and move along. Maybe with '50's alternators and batteries that was true but not anymore.
A blown fuse is a major clue that something is wired wrong, people.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
So hypothetically, once the Echo is setup my phone is not required to even be in the truck?
Will the auxiliary manual button still work?
Just saying as if the possibility of my phone being/lost/damaged/forgotten and not with the JT.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Correct.
Sponsored