Bronco Truck vs Gladiator

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
Used to really like Lincolns and collected vintage ones. But didn't Ford and GM transition into China in the last decade. The latest Continental was specifically built for Chinese and a flop. They can keep the Bronco, no comparison just like the Ranger is no comparison.
Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
They can keep the Bronco, no comparison just like the Ranger is no comparison.
I dunno. I think the Bronco will be a hit, even in truck form if they make it. I was really hyped when they announced the Bronco, just as I was when the new Defender came out. I considered both, but once the novelty of a new model passed, my wandering eye returned to my first love: Jeep.

The Ranger is a turd because it is actually an outdated platform from overseas. They should have expedited a new model before re-releasing it in NA, and they should have started with the Ranger Raptor as the Launch Edition.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
If they put that 5.0 Coyote motor in that then Jeep will have to offer the 5.7 Hemi. Or suffer massive sales hit. One thing is for sure. The release of the new Bronco will only make the JLU and JT line of vehicles better. :)

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
LOL, all these people promoting the eco-boost are going to learn what a cam phaser is, and that turbo sets are considered wear items with a life expectancy inside of some people's finance period.

I'm completely disinterested in a Bronco because of those self digesting valve trains and turbos, but more importantly because just like the Wrangler they worked their ass off copying, there is no room in them.

Going for a weekend? Perfect.

Weeks or months? Forget about it.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, all these people promoting the eco-boost are going to learn what a cam phaser is, and that turbo sets are considered wear items with a life expectancy inside of some people's finance period.
I wonder how well the reliability is in the 2.0T that is in the JL, JLU's? I know it's a stout motor. They gave me a Turbo JLU as a loaner when putting my Steering box on. I was impressed with it.

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I wonder how well the reliability is in the 2.0T that is in the JL, JLU's? I know it's a stout motor. They gave me a Turbo JLU as a loaner when putting my Steering box on. I was impressed with it.
I don't know, and I have no experience with them.

What I DO know however, is people promote different, commonly for the sake of different, then when different shits the bed, they are nowhere to be seen.

All of this flagellating for "The Bronco!", that nobody has owned, and few have driven is annoying regardless how entertaining it may be. Largely due to the fact that Ford has had engine troubles with the Coyote and EB engines both, on a scale that should make most people wary, and more worrisome yet is/was their willingness to try and sidestep the problem. Failing cam phaser, Ford "Uh, yeah uh those are just noisy engines". Every manufacturer has problems and there is always some effort to mitigate those problems, but watching people get their lemming on is annoying at a minimum.

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
I looked at getting a half ton and was definitely considering F150. Talked to several mechanics and all said go with the 5.0 over the eco-boost. Ford has had them for awhile and has done a great job with getting power out of smaller engines. But having twin turbo's that spin at like 150,000 RPM are bound to have a shorter life span than a basic injected engine.

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Your read my mind. My current rig is a 2003 Land Rover Discover II - I've upgraded a bit over the years but short story is that I'm running the HD Terra Firma 2 inch lift, 16in steel wheels on GY Duratrec 33s, 2004 Center Diff Lock upgrade, HID headlights, ARB bull bar up front with a 10K Smittybilt X20 winch up front (synthetic line), and I've ripped out 60% of the second row seats and one of the 3rd row jump seats to fit a home built platform and drawers. I can sleep in it flat, hunt out of it for a week (pic is the day before deer season in northern Minnesota) and I've got 180K miles on it. Original engine, original transmission. Everyone says LR is unreliable but that's relative. I've never been stuck or stranded. I have no check engine lights. BUT, the seat heater is fried, tape deck is gone (with Journey's Greatest Hits still embedded), CD player under the seat died in a flood (Discos are NOT water proof above the door locks...).

But it has 2 live axles and I did the lift in my driveway in one day. Would I love front and rear lockers? Yes. Would l love a place to store wet or bulky gear that is NOT the roof? Yes. JT Gladiator will get me all of that, with 5 seats on 35s, WITH a manual transmission and a non-turbo engine. My order is in and I'm hoping it arrives before Christmas. I'll drill holes through the hard top to get to the roll bars for supporting a roof top tent (free spirit odyssey so I can bring my canoe and maintain some emergency storage capability PLUS - you know, solar panels suck on fold out RTTs).

I can't wait. And yes I know I'm spending full size truck money. But those trucks would NEVER get down some of the ATV trails I use to get to my remote deer stands and fishing spots... I waited for the broco (really wanted an SUV) but at the end of the day I'm happy I ordered a JT and know I won't have any real regrets. The JT is a compromise that breaks in all the right directions if you want to get max factory off road capability in something you can drive downtown for date night.

[EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also waited for a Land Rover replacement product but dismissed them all too: current Gen Discovery (too much electronic stuff - probably no realistic aftermarket support), used LR4s (same basic mileage as my 03 Disco(!!!) air-suspension, have to go back to 2010 for naturally aspirated engine etc), the current Defender (it's basically a heavy duty Discovery... errmm yeah) ... so really the Gladiator wins as the only real choice. YAY!]

Agree with you all saying that the Gladiator wins over the new Bronco. No matter what Ford does, they put IFS on their “competition.” Total deal breaker as far as I’m concerned. My Ford fanboy friends always come back with “you could do a solid axle swap” as if this is something anyone would want to do to a brand new vehicle.

I’ll hand it to Ford on one thing though, they did a better job of creating a new Defender than Land Rover did. My Gladiator will be my first Jeep. I’ve always been a Land Rover guy to this point, and even after owning a Defender 90 and two Defender 110s I’m going with a Gladiator now. I sold a Mercedes G500 to join the Jeep family because I couldn’t deal with the automatic anymore and refuse to pay $75k for a 25+ year old Defender 130 double cab pickup.

Data point of one here, but the Gladiator offers what I’m looking for. Live axles front and rear, four doors so the kids have room, cargo and towing capacity, and a manual transmission. The only box it doesn’t check is a 4cyl diesel with a manual trans behind it. I’m guessing I’m not alone considering where we all are on the internet right now.

I still can’t understand why no one has made a steel top with rain gutters on it for wranglers or Gladiators yet. Everyone wants a roof rack that can support a tent... I suppose that’s for a different thread though.
Jeep Gladiator Bronco Truck vs Gladiator Zoom 2 Background

Last edited:

PresidentGod

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Army AGR
Your read my mind. My current rig is a 2003 Land Rover Discover II - I've upgraded a bit over the years but short story is that I'm running the HD Terra Firma 2 inch lift, 16in steel wheels on GY Duratrec 33s, 2004 Center Diff Lock upgrade, HID headlights, ARB bull bar up front with a 10K Smittybilt X20 winch up front (synthetic line), and I've ripped out 60% of the second row seats and one of the 3rd row jump seats to fit a home built platform and drawers. I can sleep in it flat, hunt out of it for a week (pic is the day before deer season in northern Minnesota) and I've got 180K miles on it. Original engine, original transmission. Everyone says LR is unreliable but that's relative. I've never been stuck or stranded. I have no check engine lights. BUT, the seat heater is fried, tape deck is gone (with Journey's Greatest Hits still embedded), CD player under the seat died in a flood (Discos are NOT water proof above the door locks...).

But it has 2 live axles and I did the lift in my driveway in one day. Would I love front and rear lockers? Yes. Would l love a place to store wet or bulky gear that is NOT the roof? Yes. JT Gladiator will get me all of that, with 5 seats on 35s, WITH a manual transmission and a non-turbo engine. My order is in and I'm hoping it arrives before Christmas. I'll drill holes through the hard top to get to the roll bars for supporting a roof top tent (free spirit odyssey so I can bring my canoe and maintain some emergency storage capability PLUS - you know, solar panels suck on fold out RTTs).

I can't wait. And yes I know I'm spending full size truck money. But those trucks would NEVER get down some of the ATV trails I use to get to my remote deer stands and fishing spots... I waited for the broco (really wanted an SUV) but at the end of the day I'm happy I ordered a JT and know I won't have any real regrets. The JT is a compromise that breaks in all the right directions if you want to get max factory off road capability in something you can drive downtown for date night.

[EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also waited for a Land Rover replacement product but dismissed them all too: current Gen Discovery (too much electronic stuff - probably no realistic aftermarket support), used LR4s (same basic mileage as my 03 Disco(!!!) air-suspension, have to go back to 2010 for naturally aspirated engine etc), the current Defender (it's basically a heavy duty Discovery... errmm yeah) ... so really the Gladiator wins as the only real choice. YAY!]

Man, it’s too bad you’re way out in Minnesota. We’d get along really well! Nice Disco, if you’re letting it go the new owner will be super lucky.

Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Man, it’s too bad you’re way out in Minnesota. We’d get along really well! Nice Disco, if you’re letting it go the new owner will be super lucky.
HAHA thanks!. My local LR shop is going to sell to an enthusiast. Whoever buys needs to know what they are getting into. My rover is a great choice for the right person. But otherwise a total disaster for the wrong person...

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, Gator Sport S
Occupation
Millwright
It's not a 7-speed. It's a 6-speed that has an offroad-only gear. That offroad gear does the same thing Jeep does through the transfer case. So, the Ford has nothing the Jeep doesn't have.

In fact, there isn't a single thing on the Bronco that is original or new or that Jeep hasn't been doing for decades. But, it does ADD some things that are undesirable like the IFS that will be hard and expensive to lift, and those problematic over-engineered EcoBust engines. So honestly, while I did grow up a die-hard Ford guy, I don't understand the buzz surrounding this Bronco at all, other than the fact that it's new.
Was a diehard Ford guy for 20 years, have bought over ten new. Rangers, Eddie Bauer Bronco's, stang GT's and convertibles, power strokes. For me the new Bronco was a non starter (not F150 based) priced out a 7.3 gas F250 comparable to my loaded sport JT, almost 30k more. Promptly bought the gladiator. Couldn't justify it since at this point in life don't do heavy towing regularly and the JT cool factor is off the charts.

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, Gator Sport S
Occupation
Millwright

Not a rover guy, most are pretentious Aholes with too much money, but damn is yours cool. Great look and outfitted perfect, sure you'll love a gladiator and would love to see it when you get it how you want it

87944turbo

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
I test drove a ranger before I bought my gladiator and the amount of shifting that transmission does is atrocious.
Could not agree more. The 8 speed in the Gladiator is one of the best things about it.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not a rover guy, most are pretentious Aholes with too much money, but damn is yours cool. Great look and outfitted perfect, sure you'll love a gladiator and would love to see it when you get it how you want it
yeah - I know what you mean. Attached are some pisc of the inside of my old rover to show you I'm not pretentious (pretenious aholes don't build home made drawers from plywood ) and one pic of my JTR after it arrived (sorry about the cooler in the JT pic - my sister works for them and this was for her). I LOVE my JT. Its perfect for what I need. Getting an Ace Upper Decker next week from a forum member and have an ARB bondi bumber on backorder. Rockhard 4x4 angled down sliders are also on back order. SS3 Max yellow fogs also on back order ... for the bumper. My rover winch is going on the JT as soon as I have all that backordered stuff. CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Jeep Gladiator Bronco Truck vs Gladiator Cargo Space Closed 2
Jeep Gladiator Bronco Truck vs Gladiator Cargo Space Open
Jeep Gladiator Bronco Truck vs Gladiator Pew Pew Drawer
Jeep Gladiator Bronco Truck vs Gladiator 20210206_135518
Sponsored