Can we Disable the auto stop start?

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
You seem to remember to buckle up you seem to remember to put your truck in gear. So what is so hard to remember to push a little button
That's sounds reasonable, but after 3.5 years of driving my JL, I can still forget to push the button.
Sponsored

Guns_N_Rosaries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
Has anyone had any luck on the 2021's pulling out the connector from the security gateway module? I got an autostop eliminator, and for the life of me I cannot unplug the connector. I have fiddled with the clip 10 different ways, but still no luck. It's almost like they glued them in there this year.

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone had any luck on the 2021's pulling out the connector from the security gateway module? I got an autostop eliminator, and for the life of me I cannot unplug the connector. I have fiddled with the clip 10 different ways, but still no luck. It's almost like they glued them in there this year.
I have a 2021 and had no problems with the plugs. Try pushing them in slightly before taking them out.

devnull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Islander, 21 JT Rubicon, 19 Grand Sport
Occupation
scientific negotiator
One quick note: $15 off with GMTRUCKS coupon (free shipping). Just ordered one for the wife's JLU.

Jeep Gladiator Can we Disable the auto stop start? Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 3.58.52 PM

AverageDad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
VP of Operations
I leave it on. I hated it in my BMW (and it would remember the setting so I left it off). But Jeeps system works better. And I drive the Jeep slower - no drag racing at the lights. So it hasn’t bothered me at all. The only thing about it that does bother me is some of the reasons it doesn’t activate - like if the wheels are turned.

Sponsored

Firestarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
Mine won't shut down if I have the HVAC set to LO or HI. You can set it to Lo with the AC off and run the fan at the lowest speed and it won't shut off. But I have a tazer that remembers the last state which I actually hate. When I come home I disable the ESS to access my gate, and if I forget to toggle the switch again it stops working the next day. I basically only drive city so it helps with a lot with fuel savings.

For those saying it causes more wear, the engine is already lubricated and warm. Cold engines experience wear upon startup because all the oil has drained to the pan. It actually saves unnecessary engine running which should help to keep certain components lasting longer.

I'd much rather have had e torque and don't know why they didn't add it, but I'll swap cheap starters every few years to gain 10% more fuel economy and less engine revs per mile driven.

Mine is also pressure sensitive so it starts back up before I'm completely off the brake. If you are switching brake brakes to hammering the throttle as fast as you can then it will obviously lag, but I don't drive recklessly and necessitate full throttle merges (what happens if the engine dies right after take off and now you left the oncoming traffic no time to stop?)

Basically I've gotten in the habit of disabling it in situations I know I want it to keep running and then immediately reenabling it cause of the tazer.

Firestarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
This seems to be one of those things some people are okay with, but other people loathe. My wife's BMW does it so I already understood the concept. My son says he can't stand it turning off at stops, but it didn't take me long to get used to it. It never was annoying to me so I've never even used the disable button, but at first it did feel weird. I actually like it now - it's remarkable how it's ready to go from the time my foot leaves the brake pedal to the time it hits the gas. The only thing I think is weird about it now is oftentimes when I park it, it turns itself off, then when I shift into park it starts up again, just for me to have to turn it off again. All things considered, I'm still good with it - and maybe it saves enough gas to buy me a cup of coffee once in a while.
exactly, which is why I often times will just turn off the engine in drive and shift to park afterwards, but then I have to turn off the ignition again.

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
Not having to restart the engine all the time.
Which you don't have to do. It happens automatically. And it's pretty much invisible. I never even notice when my truck shuts down or starts up. This is simply a case of "you can't tell me what to do".

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
Which you don't have to do. It happens automatically. And it's pretty much invisible. I never even notice when my truck shuts down or starts up. This is simply a case of "you can't tell me what to do".
That's not true. It isn't an emotional thing of "you can't tell me what to do", as you're making assumptions about people you don't know.

I don't want to be in the hook to replace components caused by additional wear later from from the engine restarting all the time.

If you or someone else would like to be on the hook to fix any future costs related to it, then I will use it all the time. But you won't, which means I need to look out for myself on it.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
If you don't mind the A symbol on the dash you can just pull wire off the hood pin up front. I think it's the inboard pin not the outboard, but you can google which it is.

JoeyD

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
It does bother me having it on, somedays it turns off and I don't notice, most I do especially when it turns back on. What bothers me is the sheer lack of consistency. I can go DAYS with it never turning off and some day it turns off every second it gets. I get that if the interior temp is at a certain level among other things effects when it shuts off/on but it's annoying.

I also worry about the wear, IMO it's a gamble if it's going to to cause trouble down the road. I can hear all the opinions in the world and until if backed by the engineers who designed the engine and have a long history of engineering engines I'm not sure I could be convinced. Highway mile cars last longer than city ones, obviously for a number of reasons but my point still stands.

Admittedly I do not trust manufactures to be the best at what they do, there is a VERY long history of them not. And I know enough engineers to know you work with the time you have. marketing also has a MASSIVE influence on what goes into cars and where corners end up getting cut.

I would also love to see actual results of it on and off. How long and how many times it's initiated plays a roll in how much it saves you in the long run. IDK if it's even close to 10%; I get about 17.5mpg on average for my weekly commute, I make 12-15 stops a day round trip, it shuts off maybe 1-5 times a day at most. Today was 5 times I counted. So if remembered to turn it off every day as a test I should see a ~.75mpg drop in MPG. Would be interesting to test, but would be difficult how wild the average is that it actually stops at a light. in theory at 17.5mpg if the engine shut off 100% of the time I'd see a 1.75mpg drop in MPG. This seems rather synthetic because it would be directly proportional to the time you were stopped that the vehicle was off and how often.

johnh442

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, RAM 1500, Chevy SS
Occupation
Computer / Car Geek
Yes! Me too! Cannot get it out. Tried for literally hours. Pulling/pushing/twisting pushing the little tab in..feels like that sucker is glued in there! My fingers hurt, and the sharp metal gave me more than one scratch. Even tried gently twisting a screwdriver while pushing on the tab... Finally gave up. Couldn't use my Autostop Eliminator, and went with removing/disconnecting the one hood switch.

xdamageincx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, e46, Polaris Trail Black Onyx
Occupation
Program Manager
One quick note: $15 off with GMTRUCKS coupon (free shipping). Just ordered one for the wife's JLU.

Jeep Gladiator Can we Disable the auto stop start? Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 3.58.52 PM
Awesome, I used it.
Putting this on a manual kinds sucks.
I too delivery of the jt, drove out to a stop light and it shut off and I didn't realize it.
Folks behind me pounding in their horns as a hopelessly tried to figure out what happened
I wasn't informed that the rig had this "feature"

Screenshot_20211004-205142.png
Sponsored