First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
We used to call it the front clip on vws and Hondas too. It refers to the front end, before the fenders. Basically headlights, grille, bumper, side markers.

Folks would swap Integra front clips onto civics and vice versa. Or put golf front clips on Jettas
That is honestly the first time I’ve ever heard that in my life. But then again I never heard anyone call a soda a “pop”, a burger a “grinder”, or a sub a “hoagie” till I left the east coast either…
Sponsored

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Not to crap on your idea OP, but I wouldn't be in a Gladiator without the Wrangler front end, and if they offered the 2.0 L turbo, I'd have paid the extra for the 3.6 just like if I was buying a Wrangler but that's just me. My biggest wish is that they'd offered a 2 door version with a shorter wheel base and perhaps an extended cab. But different strokes and all...

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
It may be sacrilege around here, but I consider my gladiator to just be a sub model of Wrangler, like how you used to be able to get a Cadillac Escalade with a bed. I expect it to look like one. I think it's cool that they look alike, especially in my garage (I know, the Wrangler is a JK, but close enough).
Jeep Gladiator Can we talk about 2 things ? IMG20220416194651

Sponsored

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
I would've gone for either a classic Gladiator grill or the current JL one. Although I've wanted a Wrangler truck mainly because AEV was rolling out Brutes, not for nostalgia around Gladiators, could care less they labeled it a Gladiator. Now if Ford released a F150 with a retro homage to my first vehicle, a 1973 Ford F-150, I would care more.

With the 2.0, I would've had to test drive one if it was offered. I probably would stick with the pentastar, I wanted as plain and reliable as possible. Performance-wise I like the idea of turbos, but don't like needing higher octane fuel to achieve the benefits. I assume the 2.0 needs 89 or better like every other modern turbo.

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
My wife has a Gladiator, and I have a JL. I like them both and am happy that they share the same front end. I do wave at either vehicle on the road

Have you ever drive the 2.0T? It really winds up to get going and is noisy as hell. I had a guy take off next to me at a red light and DAMN....that thing was screaming

I was happy to go with the 3.6 on my JL. Proven and not a lot of complication

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Second , why do I keep coming across haters of the 2.0t in the JL ( I know it's not offered in the Gladiator ) . It's is a pretty strong running little engine , and murders my 3.6 . I get a ton of comments on how it's not suitable and doesn't make power , but have these folks actually driven a 2.0. I've had both and just want to clear the air . From a power perspective the 2.0 rips .
And from a towing perspective? I'm amazed we're 3 pages in and no one has mentioning towing!

The gladiator needs to be a truck. Trucks need to tow or else they get accused of being a Santa Cruz or Baja. From my understanding the 2.0 would not be a good towing engine. Heat would become an issue, constantly spooling that turbo trying to generate tug, running higher rpms to get into the powerband.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I think it was intentional to have the same JL front end. It attract Wrangler buyers, or people who like them and want/need a truck.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
1. Lol

2. Idk, old school mind set I suppose? Some people still cry with the death of the og 4.0 I6. I don’t know that I’d opt for that 4 banger option, but I don’t think it’s a bad one.
Could you imagine what a boat anchor the 4.0l I6 would be in a 4700 lb gladiator. When they tested the 4.0l vs the 3.8l V6 everyone hates, it had worse performance numbers across the board than the 4.0l.

They weren’t even that reliable. The engine design was solid for longevity, but Chrysler reliability was so bad back then that a lot failed early. When my ‘96 XJs 4.0l had catastrophic failure at 50k miles it was super common and I had a rental car for months waiting on a new long block to be available. They had so many go bad they were back ordered for months.

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Could you imagine what a boat anchor the 4.0l I6 would be in a 4700 lb gladiator. When they tested the 4.0l vs the 3.8l V6 everyone hates, it had worse performance numbers across the board than the 4.0l.

They weren’t even that reliable. The engine design was solid for longevity, but Chrysler reliability was so bad back then that a lot failed early. When my ‘96 XJs 4.0l had catastrophic failure at 50k miles it was super common and I had a rental car for months waiting on a new long block to be available. They had so many go bad they were back ordered for months.
I have over 269,000 miles on an XJ with that I6. It’s simple and easy to work on. Just not a modern motor anymore. However it’s been a great back up vehicle.

The Welsh Griffin

First Name
TBone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Work in an Oven
Has anyone test driven the wrangler 4xe ? I went wrangler shopping with wifey , I drove the 2.0 turbo , then the turbo hybrid . ( which she bought ) I cant wait to blow my buddies mustang away off the line , he's gonna whine for weeks. I was chatting with guys at work and they told me about Ferraris etc and how they all use the hybrid idea now for more power . I believe it now !!

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
For years and years people asked for a wrangler pickup to the point that people were custom building them.

So jeep did the most sensible thing by making a wrangler pickup.

Why would they do otherwise?

As for the turbo charged 4 cylinder, ehh. Sure it's fine but it's just more stuff that can break.

OP
OP

JD101

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon , 2021 JLU
And from a towing perspective? I'm amazed we're 3 pages in and no one has mentioning towing!

The gladiator needs to be a truck. Trucks need to tow or else they get accused of being a Santa Cruz or Baja. From my understanding the 2.0 would not be a good towing engine. Heat would become an issue, constantly spooling that turbo trying to generate tug, running higher rpms to get into the powerband.
It make mores torque , sooner . But I'm not even talking about having it as an option in a Gladiator . I'm making the statement that I think it's a fantastic option in a wrangler , speaking from experience.

OP
OP

JD101

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon , 2021 JLU
Not to crap on your idea OP, but I wouldn't be in a Gladiator without the Wrangler front end, and if they offered the 2.0 L turbo, I'd have paid the extra for the 3.6 just like if I was buying a Wrangler but that's just me. My biggest wish is that they'd offered a 2 door version with a shorter wheel base and perhaps an extended cab. But different strokes and all...
It's not crapping on anything . It's your opinion and I respect that. I want to be clear Im not suggesting they offer the 2.0 in a Gladiator . I making the statement that I run into alot of folks with a strong opinion that the 2.0 is a dog from a performance perspective in a JL . It then becomes known the same folks have absolutely no experience actually driving a 2.0. Just trying to give my experience on both.

I've had a JLR 6speed 3.6 , 4.10, 34s
JLUW 8A 2.0T , 3.45, 35s
JTR 8A 4.10 , 33s - 5.13 ,37 ,38s

The JLU with 3.45s and 35s would out perform my JTR with 4.10s and 33s.

Just posting my personal experience is all .
Sponsored