First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
HVAC
On heavy acceleration from a dead stop or just giving it the pedal at normal speed I get a very annoying rattling sound. Sounds like bearings or something like that. It’s very noticeable but in the video it’s hard to hear it clearly because of the wind. Added another link to a video I took today. Tell me if that sounds normal. It doesn’t sound normal to me, but I’ve never owned an Ecodiesel.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I can't tell. Got any more videos?

OP
OP
Mike-len

Mike-len

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
HVAC
I can't tell. Got any more videos?
I’ll try to post up another one later on. I think it’s easier to hear it inside the cab with the window open. Sounds like maybe the turbo rattling. Like worn bearings on a motor.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, hard to tell from that. Can't really hear all that much except road noise and normal engine/drivetrain stuff.

Rattles aren't bearings. Bearings are a deeper knocking sound and match engine RPM exactly in frequency. You'll know the knock of a bearing.
Lifters can rattle and clatter, but that's generally noted at idle, not acceleration.

Do a search for "rattle" "sounds like keys" or similar terms and you'll find a ton of videos and references.

Would be very helpful to know what you are driving - besides a Gladiator, that is -
Diesel? Gas? Automatic? Manual trans? 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023? Miles?

Rattles can be anything from valve train to a bracket or shield, to exhaust, something loose, something hitting something else, engine, non-engine, etc.

OP
OP
Mike-len

Mike-len

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
HVAC
Sorry, hard to tell from that. Can't really hear all that much except road noise and normal engine/drivetrain stuff.

Rattles aren't bearings. Bearings are a deeper knocking sound and match engine RPM exactly in frequency. You'll know the knock of a bearing.
Lifters can rattle and clatter, but that's generally noted at idle, not acceleration.

Do a search for "rattle" "sounds like keys" or similar terms and you'll find a ton of videos and references.

Would be very helpful to know what you are driving - besides a Gladiator, that is -

Rattles can be anything from valve train to a bracket or shield, to exhaust, something loose, something hitting something else, engine, non-engine, etc.
It is a 2022 JTRD. Completely stock with 2700 miles. It doesn’t happen if I ease into the throttle but as soon as I give it hard press it’s starts the “rattle” and when I let off it sounds like spinning noise. Like metal on metal. The best I can describe it is like failing bearings in a blower motor and you get that metal to metal sounds. It stops when I let off the gas. I’ll post up a better video with my phone inside the cab out of the wind noise. I can only hear it with the window down.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mike-len

Mike-len

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
HVAC

I put up another video where the sound is a bit more clear.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I can’t tell from the video…. Sounds like normal valve noise to me…

I will say at 2700mi keep an eye on your oil level…. Went through 2 quarts on ours around that mileage (normal diesel break in consumption….) literally have 5 diesels sitting in our driveway all have done the same thing….. tdi, power stroke, Cummins, 2.8Motori, and the ecodiesel…

OP
OP
Mike-len

Mike-len

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
HVAC
I can’t tell from the video…. Sounds like normal valve noise to me…

I will say at 2700mi keep an eye on your oil level…. Went through 2 quarts on ours around that mileage (normal diesel break in consumption….) literally have 5 diesels sitting in our driveway all have done the same thing….. tdi, power stroke, Cummins, 2.8Motori, and the ecodiesel…
Good advice. Thank you.

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Retired diesel mechanic here…. That’s normal.

The diesel engine works off compression and random detonation of fuel in the cylinder. The harder you step on it the more fuel you introduce and the combustion rate increases.

Are you using any additives?

OP
OP
Mike-len

Mike-len

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
HVAC
Retired diesel mechanic here…. That’s normal.

The diesel engine works off compression and random detonation of fuel in the cylinder. The harder you step on it the more fuel you introduce and the combustion rate increases.

Are you using any additives?
I’m using hotshot edt at each fill up. I’ve noticed my mpg isn’t as good as a lot of people are saying they’re getting. I’m hoping it will get better. I’ve gotten up to 24 on longer trips 65-70 mph.

Sponsored

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I’m using hotshot edt at each fill up. I’ve noticed my mpg isn’t as good as a lot of people are saying they’re getting. I’m hoping it will get better. I’ve gotten up to 24 on longer trips 65-70 mph.
Some tout great fuel mileage after resetting the EVIC trip and mileage counters. Don’t trust the internet.

Diesel excels over long distance and heavy load where gas shines over short trips. Average your fuel mileage each fill up and over hundreds and thousands of miles.

I get 30-40mpg real time when driving freeway and upper teens to low twenties in town.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Your rattle sounds the same as mine... completely normal. I'm at 4100 miles on mine.

Check your tire pressures... no joke. When I first got my JTOD I drove it home 225 miles and my first tank was 29.5 mpg. 10 fill ups later I've watched the mileage drop ever so slightly to the point of where it's at 25.6 now. Granted, I did at a leveling kit in which I lost about 1mpg, but that didn't explain the rest of it. Only difference from then till now is my tire pressures were at 38-40 back then whereas they're 32 now. 8 psi in the tires can clearly make a 1-2mpg difference.

OP
OP
Mike-len

Mike-len

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
HVAC
Your rattle sounds the same as mine... completely normal. I'm at 4100 miles on mine.

Check your tire pressures... no joke. When I first got my JTOD I drove it home 225 miles and my first tank was 29.5 mpg. 10 fill ups later I've watched the mileage drop ever so slightly to the point of where it's at 25.6 now. Granted, I did at a leveling kit in which I lost about 1mpg, but that didn't explain the rest of it. Only difference from then till now is my tire pressures were at 38-40 back then whereas they're 32 now. 8 psi in the tires can clearly make a 1-2mpg difference.
I actually did lower my tire pressures a few days after driving it home. When I picked it up from the dealer, the tires were at around 38 psi. I felt the ride was very rough, so I lowered the pressure down to 33. I did not realize that it would make that much of a difference. It made a difference in the ride though.
Sponsored