Cant decide where to put ARB Dual compressor

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
As the title says, I am having a hard time deciding where to put the compressor. I know I dont want it in the cab since I have young kids and don't want to potentially wake them up if they are sleeping to air up or down.
That leaves the wheel well, engine bay or the bed. Not too excited about the bed either since it will take away from the small space as is. So that leaves the wheel well and engine bay.

I would go with the engine bay using the @813 Fabrication & Design bracket but the engine bay gets super hot and I have heard it can impact the compressors longevity.

The wheel well seems to be the ideal place but harder to install.

What do you think?
Sponsored

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I had the same dilemma. I avoided the engine bay mount for heat and dirt/mud/sand concerns.

I mounted the compressor under the driver’s seat in my JKU and worked great. But now with a 2 yr old, I wanted to keep the cabin as quiet as possible.

I opted for 813 Fabs bedside mount. Ran a 4 gauge wire through the frame rail from the battery (with a kill switch) and works like a charm.

He does amazing work and I’d easily do it all over again.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I worked through this exact question when I put mine in.

What I came up with was that there were more positives to putting it on top of the engine bay. If you're going between the engine bay and wheel well, the top of the engine will be better protected and more accessible. It also requires very little wiring as the battery and aux wires are right there. You also don't need to consider moving/installing the remote located vents.

Putting it in the wheel well definitely has the space, but it will get decent heat there as well, and also is going to be more at risk from dirt/rocks/water. And if you want to be safest when fording any kind of water, you don't want it down there. It sure looks like a convenient spot, but the pros and cons weighed heavily against it for me.

I've had mine up in the engine bay for years without issue. The 813 bracket is a great and easy solution. I will say, though, that I do open the hood every time I use it as I have an air gauge installed there by the battery.

But the unit itself will get hotter when it runs than the ambient engine heat will ever get it anyway, so I can't honestly see the ambient heat being an issue since it's clearly designed to withstand it. Jeep guys have been running them under the hood for a long time, and the only issues seem come up when they try airing up all 4 tires without opening the hood to allow airflow.

EDIT: Honestly, the more I think about it, my ideal setup would be the compressor mounted above the engine on the ARB bracket, and a small air tank mounted in the wheel well. That would mitigate a lot of issues and give better performance than running lines direct off the compressor. Good protection and good buffer.

Last edited:

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Here is where I put mine. I am very happy with this location - it does not really take away that much space. it could go up against any other of the sides as well.

Jeep Gladiator Cant decide where to put ARB Dual compressor IMG_0001

Another thought might be up above the spare tire. I think there is enough room between the bed and the frame if you can fabricate your own bracket.

Syndula

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I used the Grimm offroad bracket and mounted mine in the engine bay. I am very happy with the location and the bracket has a bit of a shield to help with heat, granted not that much of one but it suits the purpose.
Jeep Gladiator Cant decide where to put ARB Dual compressor IMG_8675.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Cant decide where to put ARB Dual compressor IYSJ7598.JPG

Sponsored

JETNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Support Coordinator
I used the Grimm offroad bracket and mounted mine in the engine bay. I am very happy with the location and the bracket has a bit of a shield to help with heat, granted not that much of one but it suits the purpose.
Soon as I get a warm weekend this is what I’m doing. I don’t understand the angst about this set up.

Heat from the engine is not going to hurt the compressor, I’d be more worried of the heat from compressor output line. They get hot. Water isn’t going to hurt it mounted under the brake booster, if water is that high you’re going to have more issues that’s a wet compressor.

I think it’s a good place to put it.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Have mine mounted under the passenger seat. Didn't want to have it pull in dusty hot air. Figured it would last longer in the cab. I have two little kids and it hasn't been a problem since I don't get to the trail that early to wake the kiddos up and heading home they're too tired out to care. Wife does get grumpy when it's cold outside and she has to crack the door open for the hose (passenger and driver side chucks). That's the big negative for me.

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
As the title says, I am having a hard time deciding where to put the compressor. I know I dont want it in the cab since I have young kids and don't want to potentially wake them up if they are sleeping to air up or down.
That leaves the wheel well, engine bay or the bed. Not too excited about the bed either since it will take away from the small space as is. So that leaves the wheel well and engine bay.

I would go with the engine bay using the @813 Fabrication & Design bracket but the engine bay gets super hot and I have heard it can impact the compressors longevity.

The wheel well seems to be the ideal place but harder to install.

What do you think?
Hey Ray, Ultimately I think it mostly comes down to personal choice/preference. I have several ways to get it mounted on the JT, so I am sure I can help you get set up with a solution that will work best for you. I don't have a mount for the wheel well since there are a few on the market and it is not a choice that I like, especially given that there is more involved with installation. If you do decide on the wheel well, make sure that you reroute the air inlets. ARB states that the compressor can get wet as long as you keep the filters and air intakes dry. I have had customers come to me for new mounts because they killed their compressor in that location. Also, make sure you have extra fender clips on-hand as many people have broken the clips removing the fender.

As for using my engine mount, do you have the engine cover on your '22? If not, you may not have the front bracket needed to mount the engine mount. Let me know if you have any questions!

Jeremy

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I did the engine bay mount for my single. But I also opened up my hood vents. No issues with heating, dirt, or water. The vents are angled for negative pressure so not much really gets down there.
Jeep Gladiator Cant decide where to put ARB Dual compressor 20211009_014647

Last edited:

JETNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Support Coordinator
Hey Ray, Ultimately I think it mostly comes down to personal choice/preference. I have several ways to get it mounted on the JT, so I am sure I can help you get set up with a solution that will work best for you. I don't have a mount for the wheel well since there are a few on the market and it is not a choice that I like, especially given that there is more involved with installation. If you do decide on the wheel well, make sure that you reroute the air inlets. ARB states that the compressor can get wet as long as you keep the filters and air intakes dry. I have had customers come to me for new mounts because they killed their compressor in that location. Also, make sure you have extra fender clips on-hand as many people have broken the clips removing the fender.

As for using my engine mount, do you have the engine cover on your '22? If not, you may not have the front bracket needed to mount the engine mount. Let me know if you have any questions!

Jeremy
@813 Fabrication & Design-If you don’t mind, what caused the failures of the ARB compressors in the wheel well? Was it water into the inlet due to not relocating the filters? or heat?

Sponsored

Tig

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
I highly recomend the Grimm setup, did the install last Sunday. Got the bracket and compressor from Northridge 4x4. Excellent service quick shipping from them, 10% off and free shipping. Make sure you buy the fender clips! I broke every single one when taking off the fender.

zuki_dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 miata & cherokee, 06 ram 2500, 15 mustang,
Occupation
Aircraft Examiner
I had the Grimm setup in the fender. Works well. Went to cut Rubicon flares and Artec inner fenders and it didn't fit anymore.

Went with the ARB under seat bracket for the JL. For some reason it wasn't listed as fitting a JT but no problems with the install. I put it under the passenger seat but it can go under either front seat.

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
Not sure if a twin will fit, but my buddy has ran a single ARB on both of his Gladiators and mounted it above the spare tire. Truck is a daily driver, wheeler, and overlander - hasn't had any problems with the location.

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
@813 Fabrication & Design-If you don’t mind, what caused the failures of the ARB compressors in the wheel well? Was it water into the inlet due to not relocating the filters? or heat?
It was the water and mud that killed it. The filters on this one were not relocated which could have been the issue.

toast.jpg

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I did the engine bay mount for my single. But I also opened up my hood vents. No issues with heating, dirt, or water. The vents are angled for negative pressure so not much really gets down there.
Jeep Gladiator Cant decide where to put ARB Dual compressor toast
My engine bay doesn't look anything like yours. I've also found that mud seems to be able to into everything just by running into a couple of mud puddles.
Sponsored