Sponsored

Car and Driver has posted a 10,000 mile update to their long term Gladiator review. Pretty negative

deadbug

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrician
I owned mine since Sept 19' and have no interest in getting rid of it anytime soon.
The only comment I could agree to is it is over priced imo, but so isn't everything else! smh
Sponsored

Mojave Gladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave | Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
1. The Mojave is terribly slow in 5th & 6th gears; however, if you drive the truck like a 4 speed, acceleration isn't an issue! I average 17-18 mpg and could easily increase that number if I paid more attention to my driving habits.

2. I've previously owned 10 manual shift cars and have over 21 years experience operating them! I must confess something doesn't feel right with the manual transmission in my Mojave; however, C&D openly admits to dropping the clutch at high RPM's, which will greatly reduce the life of the clutch and pressure plate.

3. I hesitate to take my Mojave in to have the transmission inspected, I fear the Dealer will only make the issue worse troubleshooting and/or potentially replacing the transmission with another like transmission. I'm not experiencing clutch slip; however, something just seems off with clutch pedal input?!

4. I do not regret purchasing a Manual Mojave whatsoever, hopefully FCA can find a permeant fix for the manual transmission outside of the software update. Ultimately, I believe the current clutch and pressure plate combination suffers from the amount of RPM's needed to effectively move and sustain the gladiator at speed.

Last edited:

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I rolled around a corner at Hungry Valley that was 25 deg off camber and 30 deg down, cleared tree limbs by an inch - not leafy branches, broken off limbs. That was the tightest corner I've had in the JTR, but even getting there would have been un-possible in an F150 let alone a 7-8" wider Raptor. Different trucks for different purposes, which is why the sniveling from C/D was so annoying.

And BTW, how's the manual in the Raptor?

I won't shit on a Raptor. They are DOPE. Til we get the Hennessy Mojave.
But apples and oranges. I would love to blast over fire roads in a Raptor or Desert race....
Half the trails I wheel on out here would be a VERY tight squeeze in a Raptor.

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
We bought the specialty trim, with a transmission only 18% of buyers will get, that reduces the towing capacity by half, and bitch about both. Oh and then we will judge our desert outfitted specialty vehicle based on driving it in the snow only... and forgot how to drive and downshift. All that and big guys will find it comfy and it's cool as shit.

No need to read the article- summed it up nicely.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Hi jbmdux,
You can use the link below to check for open recalls for your vehicle or send us a message via private message with your VIN.
https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

Rob
Jeep Cares
You can also look under the fender well. Drivers side. Gently pull back the plastic.
The new Box is black, I believe the inferior one is silver. The new box has the part number seen in this photo. This was the one they installed in my Jeep in November.

8BB7A220-EFE1-4AC1-9BAE-6A1D30F3FD8B.jpeg

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I really don't get people saying it's a bad DD. I came from a Kia Cadenza, a very nice, quiet, premium sedan that drives as well as any car and has more horse/torque than our Gladiator. I don't find the noise level to be too loud or the driving dynamics to be bad (after steering TSB). I had a buddy ride with me a few months ago and he commented how loud it was on the inside but when I asked him what he was talking about he couldn't quite explain it. We were talking with normal voices on the highway. Mileage could be better sure and it susceptible to wind but other than that, it's just fine.
It's an airy sound. Headliners help minimize the noise.

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
It's an airy sound. Headliners help minimize the noise.
In the article it says the jeep they bought included the headliners , and they still complained.... I use my UConnect all the time and never have issues with it hearing my commands- no headliner and I have MT's.

jbmdux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
This is what happens when you give C&D a long term test vehicle and there isnt a difflebag full of cash in the back when they pick it up. If it was quiet theyd complain ā€œjeep has lost their wayā€. If it had a 5.7, theyd complain it wasnt the 6.4. If it had the 6.4, theyd complain the TC was too intrusive. If the TC was calibrated right, theyd complain the rear end doesnt hook up for a drag launch which affected their acceleration testing.

when someone complains about the power of the gladiator, but doesnt say a word about it on the tacoma, i discredit absolutely everything they have to say.

C&D amounts to nothing more than color print shit paper.
great point my 15 Tacoma with the 4 liter was very slow compared my 2020 gladiator

Sponsored

Bullhead

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chrysler MV Pinnacle, 2021 Jeep JT Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
And did anyone expect different from car & driver? Really. It's not one of their favorites so.
Since Car and Driver changed their format and a new "lady" chief editor joined the rag has lost 20% of their circulation. It used to be one of my favorites and now I can't wait until the subscription runs out. Cheers

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Reading about off-road vehicles on Car and Driver or Motor Trend is like reading about sushi on a Visit Mexico pamphlet.