First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLADIATOR RUBICON
Occupation
RETIRED
We received the ''Carfax alert message''.
Strange to hear about this from Carfax before the Jeep folks.

It specifically worded Rubicon. This may suggest other levels of JT of Jeep are free form this concern ?

Just looked up our VIN on the NHTSA website, NO RECALL at this time.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
We received the ''Carfax alert message''.
Strange to hear about this from Carfax before the Jeep folks.

It specifically worded Rubicon. This may suggest other levels of JT of Jeep are free form this concern ?

Just looked up our VIN on the NHTSA website, NO RECALL at this time.
It's worded that way because you have a rubicon. Mine was part of that taken care of a year ago and it's an Overland.
NHTSA will only have safety recalls - REAL recalls, or communications, and then not always have all of the communications.

Probably related to the misfire issue many have experienced on this foru
That was my thinking, especially since seeing waaay back that some did have success with the flash being applied taking care of misfires. The problem with the misfires is that owners often think that if one person has a misfire the solution for that person is the solution for them all.
Some were resolved with the flash, some with cam replacement and still others had different resolutions.

My dealer typed it in as a "Recall" and carfax is calling it that but it's not the sort that comes to mind for most people when they hear "recall".
(see the image I posted in the second post of this thread)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Normally when you take your vehicle to the dealer shop, they plug in their OBD device that reads all the info from your vehicle - including stored codes, VIN and so on. They don't have to write anything down any more. It's all transmitted to their tablet and their system in general. At the same time the system checks for alerts/recalls related to that VIN.
If you have been to a dealer's shop lately and they "plugged in" they should have alerted you of any such notices like this one.

I was told by the service writer that my VIN came up with a notice about a PCM update/flash.
It was all automatic, they hadn't even unplugged their OBD device and I hadn't left the side of my truck.

In short, if your truck has been to a dealer's shop - they should have been alerted before you even left the pit area.

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
I just had my truck serviced an hour ago and they mentioned this recall to me, yes they called it a “recall”. 🤷‍♂️
They did perform the software update while it was getting the oil change/rotation/etc.

The paperwork says the following:
PERFORM SAFETY RECALL Y68 2020 JL JT 3.6L Misfire Detection - PCM SOFTWARE

1-- Cause/Action to Take
RECALL - FLASH COMPLETE AS PER RECALL BULLETIN
1 - Correction/Action Taken
RECALL SERVICE

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my truck serviced an hour ago and they mentioned this recall to me, yes they called it a “recall”. 🤷‍♂️
They did perform the software update while it was getting the oil change/rotation/etc.

The paperwork says the following:
PERFORM SAFETY RECALL Y68 2020 JL JT 3.6L Misfire Detection - PCM SOFTWARE

1-- Cause/Action to Take
RECALL - FLASH COMPLETE AS PER RECALL BULLETIN
1 - Correction/Action Taken
RECALL SERVICE
Dealers will call it whatever, but it's not a safety recall. No way.
NHTSA has to be informed of safety recalls and since this one has been out OVER a year, I'd say possibly 14 months or more, it would be getting to people via a postcard from Jeep and it would be on the NHTSA site (*which it is not)

The dealer simply types in whatever...........
Mine typed in "recall" but said it wasn't mandatory and actually asked if I wanted it.

But then dealers also are ignoring the text of the steering TSB among others so take what they wrote down with a grain of salt.

Sponsored

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
Dealers will call it whatever, but it's not a safety recall. No way.
NHTSA has to be informed of safety recalls and since this one has been out OVER a year, I'd say possibly 14 months or more, it would be getting to people via a postcard from Jeep and it would be on the NHTSA site (*which it is not)

The dealer simply types in whatever...........
Mine typed in "recall" but said it wasn't mandatory and actually asked if I wanted it.

But then dealers also are ignoring the text of the steering TSB among others so take what they wrote down with a grain of salt.
Just stating what they're calling it at the dealership and the Mopar/Jeep app. The "Campaign Date" - which I assume is the date they issued the notice? - is November 23, 2021. Maybe since it's a new issue just released 3 days ago is why we don't have emails, snail mails etc?

Whatever we want to call it is fine. Just stating what they called it at the service center and when I checked FCA's "My Jeep and "My Mopar" apps after, "recall" is what was stated. Maybe it's a limitation of their systems and everything is a "recall" in the database.

Anyway, they updated the PCM and I never had a problem in the first place. Carry on!

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Software update, recall, whatever, it’s all logged in the Jeep data base accessible via your VIN. It’s all just a PHONE call away to your Jeep service department.

Plumbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT MaxTow, 2015 Harley Triglide, GMC Terrain
Occupation
Plumber
Software update, recall, whatever, it’s all logged in the Jeep data base accessible via your VIN. It’s all just a PHONE call away to your Jeep service department.

Plumbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT MaxTow, 2015 Harley Triglide, GMC Terrain
Occupation
Plumber
I received the email from Carfax. The minute they asked for VIN no. I deleted the email. If Jeep has a recall the will notify me. Had the steering box replaced two weeks ago. Had a flash done for that. Not sure if this new TSB was done at this time or not.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I received the email from Carfax. The minute they asked for VIN no. I deleted the email. If Jeep has a recall the will notify me. Had the steering box replaced two weeks ago. Had a flash done for that. Not sure if this new TSB was done at this time or not.
Seriously - they asked for your VIN? Hmmmmmm

Your DEALER will know what your truck needs.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I received a letter from FCA yesterday. At least in the Canadian side they list it as an emissions recall.
That one makes sense - emissions recall due to it not detecting misfires. That would lead to unburned fuel exiting the chamber.

Now it's getting interesting.
Still wonder what the build dates are of anyone receiving a "recall notice" - especially the carfax one. And it's interesting that in one case they didn't have the VIN already which leads me to question that email at all - wonder if it was a blanket send trying to gather information.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My build date was November 2019.
Interesting, same here.
Ordered October 2019,
built November 5th 2019,
received November 14th as I recall.

It could be that the PCM update I got last year was the same thing? One way to find out, I guess.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I got it when I was updating my oil change in the Mopar service log.
Sponsored