Clutch Recall... Wait... no recall????

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Yeah I get a recall, things happen, but reducing power as a fix is utter BS. This is my first Jeep, if this is how FCA does business might be my last.
We don't know how this works. NHTSA gave two contradictory explanations. One implies it just reduces power overall. The other says that when temperatures rise to a critical point in the clutch assembly, the power will be reduced. (I could live with the second one.) So one of the two, at least, will not be accurate. But we really have heard nothing from FCA, but only from federal government bureaucrats and both NHTSA documents might just be wrong.

I'd advise waiting until we hear directly from the folks who are creating the remedy before getting too worked up. I got all worked up until I thought about the source. Not worth it.

In the meantime, I'm going to drive and enjoy my Jeep and cross bridges when I get to them. Less stress that way.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
What?!

Edit....I just entered my VIN and mine is affected....Ordered on 10/1/2020 took delivery just before Christmas...

196E09B5-8C54-4739-94F6-6B1CD71A74AB.png

“FCA will...add software to reduce engine torque capability when clutch assembly temperatures rise to a level that may damage the inner pressure plate.”

Thats some fucking BULLSHIT! Put in a pressure plate that can handle the heat!! WTF?! I’m pissed...
What website is that? I put my vin# in on 2 different websites and its still showing 0 recalls for the vin. My production date was july 2020.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
After receiving notices that my Gladiator Rubicon had a recall on the Clutch, I am being told that there are no clutch recalls for my Gladiator Rubicon. How can this be? Nobody has performed any service on this recall? And No Clutch inspections....

Sal
The only recall out there is recalling how your Jeep performed before they linped up the computer REDUCING the torque and thusly reducing the HORSEPOWER.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
From NHTSA https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Entering my VIN, I see a recall and a software remedy to reduce torque (what torque? )
Exactly what torque you're afraid of losing. FCA fucked up massively on this one because the Aisin AL6 transmission is only capable of holding 370Nm of torque. That's 273 lb-ft in freedom units capacity behind an engine that can put out 260 lb-ft of torque.

It's probably a decision around size (the AL6 is freaking tiny) and the super short first gear but that doesn't change the fact there's very little margin there.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
We don't know how this works. NHTSA gave two contradictory explanations. One implies it just reduces power overall. The other says that when temperatures rise to a critical point in the clutch assembly, the power will be reduced. (I could live with the second one.) So one of the two, at least, will not be accurate. But we really have heard nothing from FCA, but only from federal government bureaucrats and both NHTSA documents might just be wrong.

I'd advise waiting until we hear directly from the folks who are creating the remedy before getting too worked up. I got all worked up until I thought about the source. Not worth it.

In the meantime, I'm going to drive and enjoy my Jeep and cross bridges when I get to them. Less stress that way.
Does the computer actually measure clutch temperature because I can't say I've ever seen that on a scan tool. I'm guessing it guesses based on transmission temperature.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the computer actually measure clutch temperature because I can't say I've ever seen that on a scan tool. I'm guessing it guesses based on transmission temperature.
Nobody has seen any kind of sensor there, but there could be ways to do it. Then again the description of how it works in that particular NHTSA document may be wrong. At this point all we can do is hurry up and wait to hear from FCA. Anything until then is speculation based on the NHSTA's descriptions, which are confusing, at best, and somewhat contradictory.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I’m confused- at what point does any clutch get disconected from the drivers foot preventing clutch slippage? They would need to shut down the engine when the clutch reached that critical temp to prevent further slippage- otherwise the driver is just going to continue riding the clutch until he has to evacuate the vehicle when the clutch gren ades.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m confused- at what point does any clutch get disconected from the drivers foot preventing clutch slippage? They would need to shut down the engine when the clutch reached that critical temp to prevent further slippage- otherwise the driver is just going to continue riding the clutch until he has to evacuate the vehicle when the clutch gren ades.
Not sure I follow about the driver's foot, but to stop the friction completely if the probem is there, I think you are right. They'd have to shut it down. Otherwise they are maybe just slowing down the heat build up, but not by much. That's why I think the engine detune only makes sense with a critical rise in temperature. The question is how would they detect the temp, and none of us knows that. None of us even know if that's what they are going to do. All we have to go on are two NHTSA documents that describe two completely different applications of the new engine program update, if that even winds up being part of it. That's why I'm waiting for FCA to say something before worrying much about it.

I just drove my JL this morning. 41k. Clutch feels absolutely perfect, same as it did three years ago when I drove it home from the dealership. I'm more bothered about the potential recall solution than worried my clutch won't last. I think mine would be fine for another 80-100k miles if they don't touch it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Not sure I follow about the driver's foot, but to stop the friction completely if the probem is there, I think you are right. They'd have to shut it down. Otherwise they are maybe just slowing down the heat build up, but not by much.
I should have specified - drivers clutch foot! The only way to eliminate the drivers involvement is to replace the MT with an AT.

Maximus Meridius

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S , 2018 Jeep Compass, 2016 WRX
From what I understand they are going to “measure / calculate“ how much engine torque is being made and figure when the clutch would be at a slip point and do a power cut when they figure it”s there and going to slip and overheat They have had a engine torque value in their engine software for years now. It”s all theoretical of course!!
They say the software bandaid won”t be available till the second quarter of 2021. Well that starts next week on April 1, so we“ll see what comes next.
I”ll be damned if Im going to get a PCM flash that reduces my power even more. Especially at a potential time when I may need it most.
I can”t understand why the don”t fix the damn thing right and put a good clutch set up in it that can handle whatever you throw at it. IT IS A JEEP!!!!
They”ve had worse recalls before and survived the cost.
Im sure their FOCUS group decided they need a 12# clutch pedal that EVERYONE can push in, to be competing in for sales.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Yeah I get a recall, things happen, but reducing power as a fix is utter BS. This is my first Jeep, if this is how FCA does business might be my last.
Seriously, FCA has had the worst reliability rates of any car manufacturer world wide for a decade!
We all know, if you buy a Jeep, you better buy the extended warranty.

I have never owned an FCA product that the warranty didn't pay for at least 5K in repairs during the time I owned the vehicle.

I am careful not void my warranty, or that 5k becomes my additional cost! This Jeep is the first FCA vehicle I have considered doing anything that might void a portion of the warranty!

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
seriously on this clutch issue, if they provide the labor, I will pay for a Centerforce clutch and have a reliable vehicle. They just under-designed the clutch.

Actually, my wife and I were discussing it the other day. This entire transmission seems like it was designed by someone who has never driven a manual transmission.

1. Non-weighted fly wheel
  2. No clutch feel for the engagment point
  3. Reverse that is geared so high, you are a dead man if you need to back up a hill in the mountains. Who needs to go 25MPH in reverse? Really?
The transmission is just a really bad design!

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
So on this truck would putting in a performance clutch resolve the issue, or is it more problematic than that?
Sponsored