Sponsored

Comprehensive Gladiator Bed Rack Matrix (work in process)

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
When I clicked the link I got this, thats why I wanted to clarify.

cap.JPG
Weird, you don't get that message when you select 2020. Might be a glitch in their system as I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work on a 2021.
Sponsored

Geo Jeep

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Sport S (Max Tow)
Occupation
Geologist
The tonneau brackets do not change the dynamic capacity of the rack.

The aluminum rack has a some small added material in the design that gives it more strength while still being about 33% lighter than its steel counterpart. The weight savings would be the biggest advantage along with the corrosion resistance of aluminum depending on where you live and when you would be using the rack.

You can definitely add additional top bars and side panels (depending the the height you choose) to make it stronger, but we have never see a rack fail with a tent on it.
Is there a way for yous to be adjustable height? I see you have 3 height options but it seems I have to buy one of the 3 and it's not adjustable. Is that right? And how do you mount things to the side of the rack, are those additional brackets you have to buy? IT wasn't clear to me on your website.

Scrambler84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel, 2012 JKUR, 1984 Scrambler
Occupation
Network Engineer
Most place's haven't update the choices for the 2021 I have found, even the Fishbone half rack I bought this week doesn't say it works for 2021, but it works for 2020, I called them and talked with the shop manager and he said it does and this is the case on a lot of the websites selling products. I wanted aluminum based on weight reduction, but in the end I went with the fishbone's steel rack based its attachment to the trail rails with 3 uprights and 6 bolts per side. I can not afford to have any rack destroy my bed like the pictures floating around of the one that got damaged from a rack that was possibly overloaded. It looked like it was also using clamps to the truck bed rail, which would make it more prone to damage under heavy load. I have actually thought about creating braces to extended the weight transference from the trail rail system down to the truck bed. Good luck with your purchases, hope they work out well for your needs. I'll post up picks if interested when mine is installed.

Boogerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Most place's haven't update the choices for the 2021 I have found, even the Fishbone half rack I bought this week doesn't say it works for 2021, but it works for 2020, I called them and talked with the shop manager and he said it does and this is the case on a lot of the websites selling products. I wanted aluminum based on weight reduction, but in the end I went with the fishbone's steel rack based its attachment to the trail rails with 3 uprights and 6 bolts per side. I can not afford to have any rack destroy my bed like the pictures floating around of the one that got damaged from a rack that was possibly overloaded. It looked like it was also using clamps to the truck bed rail, which would make it more prone to damage under heavy load. I have actually thought about creating braces to extended the weight transference from the trail rail system down to the truck bed. Good luck with your purchases, hope they work out well for your needs. I'll post up picks if interested when mine is installed.
Got a link to the one you’re talking about that failed? I remember seeing it a while back...

Sponsored

KB Voodoo

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kbvoodoo.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JT
Is there a way for yous to be adjustable height? I see you have 3 height options but it seems I have to buy one of the 3 and it's not adjustable. Is that right? And how do you mount things to the side of the rack, are those additional brackets you have to buy? IT wasn't clear to me on your website.
That is correct. We do not currently offer a height adjustable rack at this time.

We offer additional accessory brackets on the website for mounting bikes, awnings, hi lift jacks, and traction boards. There are holes cut out of our side panels the are made for the rotopax mounting brackets.

KB Voodoo

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kbvoodoo.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JT
Dang, Max Mod was on my list of contenders. I could see how those tanneau brackets could be a weak point though.
We were in direct contact with this customer when the issue was brought to our attention. However, it was determined that the truck failed in this case and not our rack. We have sold thousands of bed racks/crossbars and have never seen a truck damaged like this due to one of our racks being installed on it. While some may not like that answer, we cannot control how people choose to use their vehicles and what type of stress they put on them.

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
I bought a @Max Modular Steel 18-inch rack from a fellow forum member. It had 4 Baja Design S2 Sport light mounted on it. I just ordered the needed wiring harness for the lights (Covid delayed). In the mean time, I mounted a Yakima MegaWarrior basket to the rack. The fit is great, used all the original hardware and was able to use the factory locks. Turns out these baskets are part of a Toyota 4Runner package. Bought one from a local guy that was included with his new 4Runner. Was able to remount my tonneau cover today. I have a bit more sealing work to ensure it is waterproof (probably 90% right now). A friend of mince gave me a set of replica ‘47 hood ornaments that fit perfect on the rack. This rack is outstanding!

E2F2B055-C00F-4177-8D03-A0BA2F357EFE.jpeg

3B4756B7-AA8B-45BC-BB36-3131F167E165.jpeg

DDD0481A-B962-4DCE-9B45-B04FE148EFB7.jpeg

C0E3394D-8F93-4113-A9A4-44C32269EB28.jpeg

9E33F5D6-45E4-4F59-8087-AF54220B9CA1.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

GladnotSad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
We were in direct contact with this customer when the issue was brought to our attention. However, it was determined that the truck failed in this case and not our rack. We have sold thousands of bed racks/crossbars and have never seen a truck damaged like this due to one of our racks being installed on it. While some may not like that answer, we cannot control how people choose to use their vehicles and what type of stress they put on them.
Can you please elaborate on how the truck failed?

OP
OP

GladnotSad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
I bought a @Max Modular Steel 18-inch rack from a fellow forum member. It had 4 Baja Design S2 Sport light mounted on it. I just ordered the needed wiring harness for the lights (Covid delayed). In the mean time, I mounted a Yakima MegaWarrior basket to the rack. The fit is great, used all the original hardware and was able to use the factory locks. Turns out these baskets are part of a Toyota 4Runner package. Bought one from a local guy that was included with his new 4Runner. Was able to remount my tonneau cover today. I have a bit more sealing work to ensure it is waterproof (probably 90% right now). A friend of mince gave me a set of replica ‘47 hood ornaments that fit perfect on the rack. This rack is outstanding!

E2F2B055-C00F-4177-8D03-A0BA2F357EFE.jpeg

3B4756B7-AA8B-45BC-BB36-3131F167E165.jpeg

DDD0481A-B962-4DCE-9B45-B04FE148EFB7.jpeg

C0E3394D-8F93-4113-A9A4-44C32269EB28.jpeg

9E33F5D6-45E4-4F59-8087-AF54220B9CA1.jpeg
Super clean install. Looks great!

OP
OP

GladnotSad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
@Max Modular Why do the tonneau brackets have to be C shaped? Why couldn’t they be L shaped, still mount under the tonneau and then angle up either have the uprights slide onto them or wrap around the outside of the uprights? This would give you a clear path for rolling the tonneau.
Jeep Gladiator Comprehensive Gladiator Bed Rack Matrix (work in process) 7A689B7A-E0B4-47F1-819E-E4F92176297B

Jeep Gladiator Comprehensive Gladiator Bed Rack Matrix (work in process) 622C6BF2-C778-4059-B15B-AA2C21851247

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
@Max Modular Why do the tonneau brackets have to be C shaped? Why couldn’t they be L shaped, still mount under the tonneau and then angle up either have the uprights slide onto them or wrap around the outside of the uprights? This would give you a clear path for rolling the tonneau.
Jeep Gladiator Comprehensive Gladiator Bed Rack Matrix (work in process) 622C6BF2-C778-4059-B15B-AA2C21851247

Not looking to answer for @Max Modular , but there is little gained relative to roll up with an L-Bracket. You still have to clear the thickness of the bottom of the rack. It would take a redesign of the rack legs which would most-likely raise the price. For my tonneau, if the legs were 1/4 inch thinner. I would be able to roll the tonneau the entire way back.