Sponsored

Comprehensive Gladiator Bed Rack Matrix (work in process)

OP
OP

GladnotSad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
Here a new player to the rack game that I just came across tonight. Looks like it has promise...unlimited possibilities...starts at $579

https://xtrusion-overland.com/
Why can’t rack manufacturers make their racks more upright? Is it a strength issue? Do the angled sides allow for more load due to triangulation? Or is it just an ascetic thing?
Sponsored

Rupicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2013 JKU Moab
Occupation
VP of Finance
Why can’t rack manufacturers make their racks more upright? Is it a strength issue? Do the angled sides allow for more load due to triangulation?
One would think a more upright profile would definitely open ourselves up to more tonneau options...

Scrambler84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel, 2012 JKUR, 1984 Scrambler
Occupation
Network Engineer
In my internet research I have come across two racks that work with the Access Literider rollup cover.

Fishbone Off Road ( I have this rack)

JCR

This roll up cover might work with others too

Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I bought a @Max Modular Steel 18-inch rack from a fellow forum member. It had 4 Baja Design S2 Sport light mounted on it. I just ordered the needed wiring harness for the lights (Covid delayed). In the mean time, I mounted a Yakima MegaWarrior basket to the rack. The fit is great, used all the original hardware and was able to use the factory locks. Turns out these baskets are part of a Toyota 4Runner package. Bought one from a local guy that was included with his new 4Runner. Was able to remount my tonneau cover today. I have a bit more sealing work to ensure it is waterproof (probably 90% right now). A friend of mince gave me a set of replica ‘47 hood ornaments that fit perfect on the rack. This rack is outstanding!

E2F2B055-C00F-4177-8D03-A0BA2F357EFE.jpeg

3B4756B7-AA8B-45BC-BB36-3131F167E165.jpeg

DDD0481A-B962-4DCE-9B45-B04FE148EFB7.jpeg

C0E3394D-8F93-4113-A9A4-44C32269EB28.jpeg

9E33F5D6-45E4-4F59-8087-AF54220B9CA1.jpeg
I’m looking for a basket with these general dimensions so I can mount it low in lieu of a tonneau cover. It wouldn’t provide protection from the elements but it would provide theft deterrent.

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
I’m looking for a basket with these general dimensions so I can mount it low in lieu of a tonneau cover. It wouldn’t provide protection from the elements but it would provide theft deterrent.
check out the @Max Modular rack, they offer different heights and an added shelf that would keep people honest in trying to take stuff from the bed. I continue to work on the tonneau - it is only 90% waterproof. I need to get a few more seals to tighten it up.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
check out the @Max Modular rack, they offer different heights and an added shelf that would keep people honest in trying to take stuff from the bed. I continue to work on the tonneau - it is only 90% waterproof. I need to get a few more seals to tighten it up.
JCR has a similar shelf. I have t taken anything off the table, but I have three primary (and often opposing goals)... Dramatically minimizing cost, providing basic theft deterrence, and allow enough height under the rack for large boxes. The second two are really easy if you ignore the first, but I’m a cheapskate.

I’m looking for a total solution probably under $500, including the cases (which I haven’t sourced yet). I’ve seen the no-weld DIY option, but it’s way too open on the sides and back for my needs. Voodoo had some good cross bars, but they’re over $300 before even adding a basket or shelf on top.

I’ll stop now before I steal this thread. Sorry. 🤪

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

caronaxtr

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT, 02 WJ, 98 TJ
Occupation
Sales/Operations Manager
I went with JCR Full Rack. Main reason was I wanted a rack that would work with a Tonneau cover to keep things out of the Buffalo weather.

Before:
N2xOVDQl.jpg

After:
pb9lfG0l.jpg

And with the Access Tonneau:
n5UJQ1pl.jpg

HNvw4Thl.jpg

Yr9OhZ8l.jpg

I wish JCR would have made the uprights notched so you could fold the Tonneau cover up easier. Over the summer I may bust out the grinder & do some modifications of my own. I don't want to affect the structural integrity of the rack so i'll probably weld in some braces.

0MNrhOyl.jpg

I'm really happy with both the Access Cover & the JCR Rack. If anyone is on the fence i'd recommend both. Only thing I think JCR could have done better would be if the back uprights bolted into the 2 weld in nuts (when not using the Trail Rail System). Their video's are really good when installing their products, they should show you some dimensions so you know where to put it. It took me longer to figure out the proper placement of the feet on the bed rails.

Gladiatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
TV/Film Sound Utility Technician
In my internet research I have come across two racks that work with the Access Literider rollup cover.

Fishbone Off Road ( I have this rack)

JCR

This roll up cover might work with others too
The Access Literider cover also work with the Rebel Off Road Bed racks.

TheProdigalBastard

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S