Sponsored

Confirmed: 2020 Jeep Gladiator (JT) gets 3.0L diesel, hard/soft tops, longer frame, beefier axles

JAY

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
JeepGladiatorForum.com (sister site to JLWranglerForums) have sources indicating that the Wrangler-Based Pickup Truck arriving in late 2018 will be named the "Jeep Gladiator." The Gladiator trademark name which FCA last renewed in March 2015, has long been speculated to return in a modern Jeep pickup variant ever since FCA officially confirmed back in January 2016 that it would be produced.

The Gladiator name is associated with the Jeep CJ-8 of the 1980's, which was built upon an elongated Jeep CJ-7 frame and featured a removable half-cab-turned pickup bed, just as the 2019 Jeep Gladiator (JT) will be based on the 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) platform as FCA CEO, Sergio Marchionne confirmed in January 2017.

A few weeks ago we showed the very first look at the 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) engines, options and features that showed up in the FCA dealer system. We're now sharing additional images from the system (and other materials) that confirm a few key facts about the upcoming 2020 JT Gladiator.

ENGINE
  • The JT Gladiator and the JL Wrangler will share the 3rd-generation 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel Engine with Engine Start-Stop. This has been widely rumored and we're happy to finally put it to bed.
  • The information was uncovered with the FCA sales code for the engine (EXJ) which showed the program codes for each vehicle that would receive the engine.
  • It should be noted that the system did not show the updated 3.6L V6 Pentastar or 2.0L I4 Hurricane Turbo engine to be part of the JT vehicle family. Neither do any of the transmission options listed for the JL Wrangler, so the system was almost surely not fully baked.

2019-Jeep-Scrambler-JT-Pickup-Diesel-Confirmed.jpg

REMOVABLE TOPS
  • Similar to the Jeep CJ-8, we can confirm the JT pickup will have at least 3 top options (Black 3-Piece Hard Top, Body Color 3-Piece Hard Top, and Premium Black Sunrider Soft Top). This confirmation means the JT truck will have a removable roof and will share at least a few of the top configurations with the JL Wrangler.

JT FRAME AND AXLES (CAD FILES)

As revealed in this thread, we have the CAD files for the new frame and axles slated for the 2020 Gladiator which show under-the-skin differences between the JT and the current model JK/JKU Wrangler.
  • The first CAD image shows a comparison of the JT frame to that of the the 4-door JK Unlimited (see the tab in the CAD image showing filename: "frame Line Skillet 2D compare to JK").
  • Based on a calculation of the measurements in AutoCAD, the images show the JT pickup truck's frame (205-inches) will be approximately 18% (33-inches) longer than that of the 4-door JK Unlimited frame (172-inches), as the JT spy photos and video have shown.

2019-JT-Jeep-Scrambler-Pickup-Frame-Comparison-JKU-CAD.jpg
2019-JT-Jeep-Scrambler-Frame-CAD.jpg

• Images of the 2020 JT Gladiator's axles show what our members have noted appear to be new Dana 12-bolt axles/diff which will add strength over the current JK Wrangler's Dana 44 axle. This is sure to bolster the truck's payload capacity and tow rating.

2019-JT-Jeep-Scrambler-Axle-CAD.jpg
2019-Jeep-Scrambler-JT-Axle-CAD.jpg

***See our 2020 JT Gladiator info thread for all confirmed info to date***

Sponsored

Last edited:

thebeast

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK Rubicon
Thank you for this awesome info!
I'm really happy about the top options and diesel confirmation :rock::whew:

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
The removable top I know was a deal breaker for lots of Jeep owners interested in the pickup so great decision to provide it. Wonder if it'll end up with all 3 engines that the JL is gettimg though since it'll be a lower volume seller than the JL.

Chinster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reviving the Gladiator name was better than a whole new name but why not just call it Wrangler Pickup? Even more name cachet and makes sense since it'll share styling and platform.

Is that JT frame a 4 door since that's the only model that's been spied?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ikari Warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Reviving the Gladiator name was better than a whole new name but why not just call it Wrangler Pickup? Even more name cachet and makes sense since it'll share styling and platform.

Is that JT frame a 4 door since that's the only model that's been spied?
Do we know if a 2 door Gladiator is coming? It should be made since the smallest Tacoma and Colorado available are extended-cab 2 door models. A smaller pure 2-door Gladiator might fill a niche for guys who care about breakover, approach, departure angles.

Sponsored

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Great news about possible tow rating and removable top. Those were two must haves for me. I'll have to think more about a Diesel engine. Not sure if the gaines are worth the extra cost.

Last edited:

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Now I need to start saving the $$$'s............

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Just hurry up and start selling the damn thing!

Its interesting the hardtops are shown for both, I can image the JLU hard top fitting on the JTU as the top would have to end right behind the seats where on the JLU it would have to go to the rear tail gate.

Mattiek27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2, Evo
I saw this earlier, and just saw it reported over on Jalopnik.

My question, what verified the name Gladiator? Did I miss that, or is it shown on the cad screen grabs?

No biggie, nor am I disputing it, I was just curious...

Sponsored

Raysrays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Dodge Charger
I could be wrong but didn't we already see the 3.6 being tested in the pickup? Anyway there's no reason for FCA to not also offer the 3.6 and 2.0 for the JT.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
It'll be interesting to see what they add to the EcoDiesel in the Gen3 update beyond just ESS, and whether they improved power or focus on reducing emissions, possibly to meet Europe's newly discovered interest in diesel pollutants in cities.

Putting it in the Wrangler (JL or JT) first as a test platform makes sense as a low volume / low prestige risk scenario that would be less sensitive to possible delays than the RAM platform which would suffer a bigger PR blow from any issues. Just getting a diesel into a Wrangler for the N.Am. market has people so amped that they would better tolerate hiccups in implementation.

JTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Do we know if a 2 door Gladiator is coming? It should be made since the smallest Tacoma and Colorado available are extended-cab 2 door models. A smaller pure 2-door Gladiator might fill a niche for guys who care about breakover, approach, departure angles.
Not according to the other leaked CAD. I know someone posted that the "2D" in the file name might mean 2 door but I think it just means 2 dimensional drawing.

Anyhow I'm stoked we're getting a convertible pickup. I hope they offer the tan soft top like they are for the JL.

Shaddrach

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover 110 Defender
My wife will want to kill me -- Goodbye Tesla Model 3 Savings Fund; Hello Jeep JTU Diesel Pickup Fund......
Haha. Same here! I wanted a removable top and diesel or I was going with a Ram and Tesla.
Sponsored