Control arm bracket protection

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
BlackDog, just got my Rusty’s LCA frame side skid plates. Have test fit Them and the holes appear to match although I have not taken out the LCA to make sure. I assume that once I get the LCA out of the way a wrench will fit on the inside nut in order to tighten them, correct? Also mine came bare steel. Will probably rattle can them. Did yours come bare? If so did you PC or RC them? Thanks
Yes, with the LCA out no issues getting a wrench in there. Mine came finished, but I agree with AmishMike, rattle can on top of primer will be all you need and then easy to touch up.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
BlackDog, just got my Rusty’s LCA frame side skid plates. Have test fit Them and the holes appear to match although I have not taken out the LCA to make sure. I assume that once I get the LCA out of the way a wrench will fit on the inside nut in order to tighten them, correct? Also mine came bare steel. Will probably rattle can them. Did yours come bare? If so did you PC or RC them? Thanks
They should have been powder coated black, unless something has changed. Most satin black spray paint matches well.

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
They should have been powder coated black, unless something has changed. Most satin black spray paint matches well.
I just ordered mine and they came bare, noting a couple of coats of flat black primer and paint shake can couldn’t fix. Installing them was a different story, those lca bolts are torqued super tight, I guess they are similar to the front and about 190ft/lbs. might be time to invest in a battery powered impact gun...

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2003 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
Talked to Rusty’s and he said they used to PC them but are sending them out bare steel now.

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yes, with the LCA out no issues getting a wrench in there. Mine came finished, but I agree with AmishMike, rattle can on top of primer will be all you need and then easy to touch up.
Thanks.

Sponsored

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Have prImered and rattled canned mine and am now ready to install. Once I loosen the LCA bolt and then move the LCA out of the way, will there be a problem in terms of lining the LCA back up to put the bolt back in? Will I have to loosen the shock side bolt in order to line back up the LCA?

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Have prImered and rattled canned mine and am now ready to install. Once I loosen the LCA bolt and then move the LCA out of the way, will there be a problem in terms of lining the LCA back up to put the bolt back in? Will I have to loosen the shock side bolt in order to line back up the LCA?
No, just do one at a time, on level ground and set parking brake and block wheels so no movement. If it does shift you can use a floor jack on the differential just behind the pinion to tilt the rear differential and pull the control arm back

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
If the axle shifts, even a tiny bit you'll need to re-align the bolt hole. This usually happens to me when removing control arms but I use a large screwdriver or solid round stock to pull the holes into alignment on one side and drive the bolt through the other

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I did mine awhile ago, came bare rattle canned primer and gloss black, only used a 1/2" rachet, holes do line up but it is hard, as posted earlier in this thread start the small lower bolt then top then thread the large bolt in, it goes hard , but makes for a real nice tight fit, there won't be any movement running into stuff. They are the only skids I put on and feel they should be stock as low as they are.....Jack

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
Theirs are for the axle-side brackets, not the frame-side brackets. The rear frame-side brackets are the most succeptible to damage on the JT.
This is a fact. I put skids plates on everything. Rock Hard, did not think about the frame.☹ Ground them down. There on now. The JT is a great off road truck. However it needs protection. The more the better.

Sponsored

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
If the axle shifts, even a tiny bit you'll need to re-align the bolt hole. This usually happens to me when removing control arms but I use a large screwdriver or solid round stock to pull the holes into alignment on one side and drive the bolt through the other
In case the axle moves forward another method is to attach a ratchet strap around the axle and then to the frame. This allows you to get everything in place and have both hands to get the bolt through. Just posting up in case this helps someone down the road.

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Have a buddy help and push on the tire and the install is a snap.
Tried the ratchet strap and a friend pushing on the tire. Neither worked. Maybe because I set the emergency brake. I o dear if I should release the brake and or jack up the tire a slight amount. P.S. I got the lca bolt in part way but it goes in crooked and will Not go thru all the way. Or maybe I need a better ratchet strap or a stronger friend???

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Tried the ratchet strap and a friend pushing on the tire. Neither worked. Maybe because I set the emergency brake. I o dear if I should release the brake and or jack up the tire a slight amount. P.S. I got the lca bolt in part way but it goes in crooked and will Not go thru all the way. Or maybe I need a better ratchet strap or a stronger friend???
Should have read maybe I should release the emergency brake or jack up the tire a slight amount.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If you place your jack just behind the pinion it will pull the control arm back and if you lift from the pumpkin it will push forward
Sponsored