briandmiles

briandmiles

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2021 JTR ecodiesel, GMC Yukon XL Denali
As long as you have transportation, quit calling them. Let the calendar run out on the lemon law timer and get another vehicle.
That is my current inclination. I don't really want to have a rebuilt engine or a brand new engine. My big problem is I've got about 25k in upgrades and I'm not sure how to go about getting them put on the new vehicle if I do lemon law it.

Brian
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I would read up on the lemon law, I believe it is based primarily on inability to fix the same problem after X number of attempts not how they take to fix the problem.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I would read up on the lemon law, I believe it is based primarily on inability to fix the same problem after X number of attempts not how they take to fix the problem.
The Lemon Law rules vary from state to state. Anyone looking at using the Lemon Law to replace a vehicle should contact an experienced Attorney, as early in the process as possible.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, are an attorney? I have lemon lawed a car and no attorney was needed.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
http://utahlemonlaw.org/

Here’s why you need to document everything: The consumer must go through any informal dispute settlement or arbitration procedure the manufacturer may have established.

Look in your glovebox and read through your FCA arbitration document included with your manual and warranty paperwork.

Looking at Utah’s LL procedures you’ll have to convince a “citizen panel” why your vehicle isn’t safe after they fix it. Know that the “citizens” aren’t car people and may be jealous of how much vehicle you can afford.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, are an attorney? I have lemon lawed a car and no attorney was needed.
Like I said, it depends entirely on the state in which it takes place.

Many attorneys will offer a free initial consultation. That should give a good idea of whether or not one would be necessary for the process.

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
So, I picked up my JTR Ecodiesel in November of 2020. Had the dealer do some major work on the suspension before I even picked it up. Drove it home from Boise to Salt Lake City area with no problems at all. It has run and performed beautifully all along. I am slightly ashamed to say that I simply haven't found time to take it off-road since I got it and brought it home and was hoping to make it up to her by going to Easter Jeep Safari next week.
When I got it home my wife asked if it was leaking oil. I told her it was just from vehicle that had been parked there prior to me getting the JT and that it was no big deal. I've just put on an RSI Smartcap and was starting to set up the ceiling in the garage to have a hoist for taking it off. I parked in the garage backwards and that is when I noticed that the Gladiator is leaking oil. So I crawl underneath and this is what I see.
Jeep 1.jpg

I don't do a ton of my own maintainence, just oil changes and other little things like that so I'm not super familiar with the underside of an ICE. The first place I looked was the plug for the oil pan, nope clean as could be but the passenger side (bottom of the picture) looks a little grimey.
jeep 3.jpg

Looks like there may have been some leaking from there but it's not conclusive.
Then I looked on the driver side and could see that there was oil dripping off of something well above the oil pan.
jeep 2.jpg

You can see the two drops of oil just waiting to fall to the ground on the white rectangular piece. I figured that had to be bad and so I brought it in to the dealer on Thursday the 18th of March, 2021.

Today is the 25th of March and the Jeep is still in the shop and they haven't done anything with it. I was told the back plate was cracked and that it would require either a complete tear down and rebuild or a completely new engine installation. The worst part about it is that FCA (Stellantis) won't give the approval to do it under warranty yet. They haven't said no but they haven't said yes either. I've gotten Jeep Cares involved and while they are very nice it is clear they can't actually do anything to expedite the process in any way. The other frustrating thing is that the dealer is really bad at communicating. I had to call every single time for an update. They haven't reached out to me a single time. I gave them until Friday at 5pm before I called to check and see what the problem was. I waited until Monday at 5 to check again. I waited until Tuesday at 5 to check the last time and never received a call yesterday either. It's now been a week and it sounds like engines and engine blocks are pretty scarce so I may have a chance to lemon law this if they don't get it done fast enough. Problem is with all the suspension mods it's probably not worth it regardless of how long it takes.

Just blowing off some steam.

Brian

jeep 2.jpg
That is a Crock-I would Rant On This Dealer Somethin Fierce!!

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
With all the upgrades I’d roll with it being repaired. You have a 100k Powertrain warranty. I’d get them to extend the rest of the vehicle to 100k and call it a day.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
That is my current inclination. I don't really want to have a rebuilt engine or a brand new engine. My big problem is I've got about 25k in upgrades and I'm not sure how to go about getting them put on the new vehicle if I do lemon law it.

Brian
Again, they won't rebuild this motor, if anything they'd replace the unit. I believe there's provisions to compensate you for your accessories but it may vary from state to state.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I wish you were right but they have verified that the engine block is cracked. I suspect that is the reason that it is taking so long to decide whether they want to do a tear down/rebuild or replace the entire engine. It sounds like they are leaning toward entire engine.
I understand but I still have my doubts. These new CGI engine blocks are the strongest ever produced. It would be very rare to have one crack on a 260 HP stock engine. And, we've already seen members here have full engine replacements done because their dealers are either too lazy to properly diagnose the issue, or they're looking to try and make as much warranty $$$ as they can from the manufacturer.

I'm still betting it's the timing cover. But, I wish you luck in getting your truck back. It's VERY frustrating to have a new vehicle and not be able to drive it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And, we're already seen members here have full engine replacements done because their dealers are either too lazy to properly diagnose the issue, or they're looking to try and make as much warranty $$$ as they can from the manufacturer.
The last thing a dealer wants to do is replace an ecodiesel. They're one of the hardest ones to replace and warranty times for the technicians suck.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The last thing a dealer wants to do is replace an ecodiesel. They're one of the hardest ones to replace and warranty times for the technicians suck.
The first thing a dealer wants to do is make as much $$ as possible, and an EcoDiesel engine replacement is one sure way to get reimbursed for serious labor hours.

Heck, my dealer has at least one if not two techs that are SOLELY responsible for working on EcoDiesel and Cummins engines. They make big money in it, and stay stacked up with work.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first thing a dealer wants to do is make as much $$ as possible, and an EcoDiesel engine replacement is one sure way to get reimbursed for serious labor hours.

Heck, my dealer has at least one if not two techs that are SOLELY responsible for working on EcoDiesel and Cummins engines. They make big money in it, and stay stacked up with work.
Stacked up with diesel work is sad and I'll bet a majority of it is with the ecodiesel. When you're looking to turn as many hours as possible, heavy line is the worst possible way to do it. Techs typically don't beat warranty times on engine swaps, even the good ones. The money in diesels is customer pay diagnostics and maintenance, not heavy line. I've never met a tech or shop who's ideal method of generating profit and hours is with warranty engine swaps. That's pretty much last on the list and a necessary evil of having to do warranty repairs.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It seems like any dealers I have ever needed warranty work from be it Toyota, GM, Acura or Jeep they don’t want to do it and act like they are doing you a favor, next appointment is 2-3 weeks out. If this is there preferred revenue stream I would hate to see how they treat people that are going there for regular work.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It seems like any dealers I have ever needed warranty work from be it Toyota, GM, Acura or Jeep they don’t want to do it and act like they are doing you a favor, next appointment is 2-3 weeks out. If this is there preferred revenue stream I would hate to see how they treat people that are going there for regular work.
Correct. Customer pay work is typically more dollars per hour for the dealership and more hours for the technician than the identical job at warranty rates and times.
Sponsored

Reactions: Mac