Combolc

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota 4runner
Will this work on the Curt controller as well? A quick google search shows these to cost $60 in Australia, That's a chunk. Are they available on this continent? Thanks for your work on this.
I got my Towpro from Amazon and had my diode sent from Australia took 1 week or so to get to MD.

I would say yes but I cant confirm 100% but all the research I have done I would say yes it should work with any controller or any system that generates back-feed when pressing the override.

Here is the quote form support at Redarc; they have amazing support

"I have done some research regarding this issue, I have even spoken with Jeep Australia (we have a contact there).

The issue is related to the vehicle. They should have included a diode in the brake light circuit at the electric brake plug. This issue will happen with ALL brake controllers, not just the Tow Pro"

Also I found this post at some point and if read you read JLURmojito's post, he was right and seemed to find a solution from another harness that already has a diode but it is JL although seems like same deal.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-trailer-brake-controller.8378/page-2

"The 3024 harness fits – it needs the black and blue wires swapped and ALREADY HAS A DIODE INSTALLED"
Sponsored

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
I saw JLRmojito's post a while back as well, but I liked the way the Curt Spectrum mounted, so I passed on the Teconsha stuff. So with what Redarc sent to you about mostly everything working the same, I am going to try to find a 6 or 7 amp inline diode and put that in my red wire on the C51459 harness (that I already have). Just need to know the flow or arrow direction of the diode. Either flow to the controller, or flow to the jeep? I gather the flow is towards the brake controller, to keep the voltage from going back towards the jeep side/plug/computer. Agree?
Thanks again, hopefully we can help out the rest of the crowd here, since you did the hard work, and I ask the dumb questions......

OP
OP
Combolc

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw JLRmojito's post a while back as well, but I liked the way the Curt Spectrum mounted, so I passed on the Teconsha stuff. So with what Redarc sent to you about mostly everything working the same, I am going to try to find a 6 or 7 amp inline diode and put that in my red wire on the C51459 harness (that I already have). Just need to know the flow or arrow direction of the diode. Either flow to the controller, or flow to the jeep? I gather the flow is towards the brake controller, to keep the voltage from going back towards the jeep side/plug/computer. Agree?
Thanks again, hopefully we can help out the rest of the crowd here, since you did the hard work, and I ask the dumb questions......
sorry I missed this been offline

Yeah I dont like the Tek stuff why went with Redarc -

yes, we need to block the feed from the controller back into the Jeep. If you press the override button the red wire feeds the 12v to the brake lights on the trailer.

you ask all the good question :like:

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
I installed my diode into red wire on my C51459 harness and it seems to be good to go. Towed my trailer yesterday and the brakes work great.

IMG_6455.jpg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Sponsored

OP
OP
Combolc

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will this harness not work with the Gladiator?

I thought somebody posted that the connection under our dash was identical to the Ram 1500 connection. If so, wouldn't this Redarc harness for a Ram work just fine?

https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro-brake-controller-harness-to-suit-dodge-ram
Plugs are the same pinout is not. The ram harness does have a diode inline but you have to switch two colors. I can't remember which two but someone on the forum posted once. Also tek recently released a harness for JT.

I think it is blue and black

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
According to a guy on youtube installing his ram harness in a JL/JT it was the black/blue wires switched. Ive got my harness comjng in a few days to install.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Will this harness not work with the Gladiator?

I thought somebody posted that the connection under our dash was identical to the Ram 1500 connection. If so, wouldn't this Redarc harness for a Ram work just fine?

https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro-brake-controller-harness-to-suit-dodge-ram
According to a guy on youtube installing his ram harness in a JL/JT it was the black/blue wires switched. Ive got my harness comjng in a few days to install.
The Ram harness will work fine but you need to swap the blue and black wires. It does have a diode preinstalled, I used my meter to ring it out and confirm that. The end that plugs into the Jeep is really easy to pop apart, there’s a white locking clip the pops out. Once you have that out you can use a small pick or straight screwdriver to release the tabs for each wire, swap places and pop back in. Then snap the white locking clip back in and you’re all set. Only took me a minute or 2 to do that. After that it’s fully plug and play with the Redarc.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well now Curt has a harness for JL and JT part # 51527 according to them. I have one to install their brake controller.

Duke56

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon. Granite Crystal. Black Freedom Top & Fenders. Rock Krawler 3” Pro-X No limits Lift,
Too bad I didn’t see this post earlier. I bought the Curt Spectrum several months back as well as a harness made for the Ram 1500. I installed it over the weekend forgetting to swap the wires and it would light up and I could switch modes and all but when I hooked up a trailer it did not do the “Calibration” sequence of green lights several times and the brakes would lock up as soon as I started moving forward or reverse. Weird. So I checked about the swap and found I didn’t do it (Uh Oh moment). In discovering my error I did the Blue and Black wire swap and now the Spectrum won’t light up at all now. Hope I didn’t fry it. I’ve ordered the NEW and proper Curt wiring harness for the Gladiator which can be found here:

https://www2.curtmfg.com/HitchLookup/find?year=2020&make=Jeep&model=Gladiator#tab=undefined

They show 2 but the only difference is one is packaged and includes instructions and the other is not. ($2 difference)
Hope it works and my Spectrum didn’t get cooked.

UPDATE:

I tried harness 51438 which does NOT have the diode and I DID see the Spectrum knob cycle it’s “Calibration“ green light sequence which is a good sign I did not fry the controller. However, pressing the button for manual brake mode would only light the first red led and I could not get any more LEDs to light as I rotated it while pressing it. So back to the drawing board and I’ll wait for the correct harness to arrive.

Last edited:

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I installed the Curt 51110 Venturer controller with the Curt 51458 harness, blue and black swapped at the connector going to the Jeep.

Last edited:

Duke56

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon. Granite Crystal. Black Freedom Top & Fenders. Rock Krawler 3” Pro-X No limits Lift,
Where is the diode located in the Ram Harness?
What direction is it installed?
Where can I get the diode?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Where is the diode located in the Ram Harness?
What direction is it installed?
Where can I get the diode?
I purchased the Curt 51527 Harness for the Gladiator. The diode is inline under the loom. I did not dismantle it enough to look at the diode, only enough to see it was there.

Duke56

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was asking where it is in the Ram harness.
I have a Ram harness from my Tekonsha controller and could modify the end to match the Curt Spectrum IF the diode is before that plug.
I’ve ordered the 51527 but Curt is having shipping issues.
I’m using the knee bashing Tekonsha for now and want to switch to the Curt Spectrum ASAP.

Gladiator_AJ

First Name
A.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
From my experience: I originally ordered a Curt Spectrum with the Curt 51459 harness per some recommendations/guides on this site.

Since I was overseas at the time, it was hard to shop around trying to find the correct parts, and I couldn't find a Canadian retailer with the 51527 (Gladiator specific) when it came out. I was however able to get my hands on a 51458 (Ram) harness.

It took all of 30 seconds to swap the blue and black (to match the original pinout of the 51459), and I confirmed the presence of the diode in the red wire. Hooked it all up and good to go.

So for those who are still trying to figure this harness out for Curt controllers, while the 51527 is a direct fit, the 51458 will work the same as the Gladiator specific harness once the blue and black wires have their positions swapped.

Cheers,
Sponsored