Dealer Scams

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
When ever i see this it gets me riled up, so this may be a part vent but also a PSA for those who may not know.

I hate when dealership use this scam of "market adjustment" just to inflate the MSRP and make the customer think theyre getting a deal. Take for example this online pricing at Southern Jeep. They inflated the MSRP and show a "$5000" discount after instant saving which only translates to like $500 off from the MSRP. (See below)

Makes me stay away from these dealers that play the dealership game just to get you "in the door". Hopefully people are smarter than this to always be sure to verify against the window sticker online.

Virginia dealers are know for this scammy practice.

Vent over.

jeep.PNG
I just saw something like that recently on some of the JT online in Houston here. They have their MSRP but when you look at the window sticker its like $5 or $6K lower and there is no explanation showing what that extra increase from the Dealer was for.
Sponsored

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
A fool is soon parted from his money!

Tall Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Super Trucker...
I hauled cars for a living a good many of these dealers are absolute crooks..

Go into the dealership with your game face on ready for a fight they are not your friend..

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
They do it, because they can and they get away with it.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
They do it, because they can and they get away with it.
What is there to “get away” with? You live in a capitalistic society. Dealership is in it to make money. If by get away with it, you mean the consumer is willing to pay for it, I agree. The only thing they’re getting away with is whatever the market is willing to bear. There is one dealer by me still charging ADM’s on gladiators. They have a brand new LE still on the lot. They told me it was rare. Apparently no one gives two craps since it’s been on the lot for over a year.

There is no excuse for a consumer making a poor decision. There is so much out there to make an informed decision.

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Yes, a society where the hunter takes advantage of the prey. I simply responded to the question. They wouldn’t do it if it didn’t work, meaning they get away with it. Not everyone is as experienced and as strong willed as you apparently are.

Deleted member 30519

Unfortunately a lot of people get beat this way. I made sure I compared my sticker , build sheet and dealer info up and down for 2 days before I made my decision. It sad you got to do that but...

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
It’s a poor business practice for long term customer relations. My mother in law got duped in a similar deal from a dealership she had purchased over a half dozen vehicles from. She left a factual review of the transaction and gave them a 1 star rating that they must have called her a dozen times to change, as it affects their bonus. She didn’t, and has since purchased three new vehicles from a rural dealership. I can’t imagine she is the only person that responds the same. Urban area Dealerships used to be long time family owned business with professional and knowledgeable salesmen. Now many of them are run by, and employ, amped up commission only nicotine junkies trying to get $200 for overcharging a customer thousands. There is a reason why urban dealerships are constantly changing ownership and more people are turning to rural dealerships to buy vehicles. Covid is showing many business they don’t need expensive urban retail space to be profitable as the internet and zoom can help accomplish many things away from congested areas.

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I'll admit, one of my cars had a dealer-inflated markup on it that I bought. My s2000 was MSRP'ed at 32 and change. Markups were running 10k-15k. I found one I wanted and went with a friend of mine. Exactly what I was looking for, and the price was "36k," My friend asked "out the door?" and the manager said yes.

We get to the finance manager and he has the LIST PRICE as 36k. We correct him, and the paperwork gets changed. All in all I paid maybe $800 over sticker. Over the 20 years I've had the car, that's $40 a year. I'm okay with it.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Westgate Jeep in Raleigh, Hendrick Jeep in Concord both had misleading Prices and lies in their advertised pricing here in NC. Gerry wood Jeep in Salisbury was the only one that had honest pricing, sold for advertised price or lower with haggling.
Hendricks does not do that. I got the best deal I could find on a Gladiator at Hendricks in Concord NC. Gerry wood and Lake Norman definitely had their prices inflated to tune of $4,000 more at Gerrywood and $6,000 more at Lake Norman. $37,100 out the door at Hendricks on my Max Tow in Gator with the Hardtop, both Gerrywood and Lake Norman were higher and had soft tops. I have bought 6 vehicles from Hendricks and never had a bad experience or misleading pricing

Sponsored

Skull

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Aircraft Technician
Hendricks does not do that. I got the best deal I could find on a Gladiator at Hendricks in Concord NC. Gerry wood and Lake Norman definitely had their prices inflated to tune of $4,000 more at Gerrywood and $6,000 more at Lake Norman. $37,100 out the door at Hendricks on my Max Tow in Gator with the Hardtop, both Gerrywood and Lake Norman were higher and had soft tops. I have bought 6 vehicles from Hendricks and never had a bad experience or misleading pricing
I had the exact opposite deal, Gerry wood excellent! Hendricks awful...to each his own!

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I had the exact opposite deal, Gerry wood excellent! Hendricks awful...to each his own!
I know that's right. $37,100 compared to $41,000 at Gerrywood with less options and no Max Tow seemed like a no brainer to me. Also Hendricks was offering more incentives off than Gerrywood but like you said to each their own, I definitely would never buy a vehicle from Lake Norman Dodge

OP
OP

akneppers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah here I went to Winner Circle Jeep in Hampton which provided honest pricing as they are a new dealership to open as part of the Dealer Market Investment Program. Saved a good bit of money off my Gladiator although their website sales price excludes the freight/destination charge (which i dont like as FCA charges the most at $1,495 to ship them from Ohio).

But hopefully people will read this a check before they make a costly mistake. Slimey dealerships of old need to stop scamming customers which hurt the "Jeep" brand and experience.

Also, is it just me or are most FCA's dealers pretty old and ratty looking?

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
Yes, a society where the hunter takes advantage of the prey. I simply responded to the question. They wouldn’t do it if it didn’t work, meaning they get away with it. Not everyone is as experienced and as strong willed as you apparently are.
Strong willed? Lol, I guess it’s just being educated on where I spend my money? For me it’s pretty easy to resist an inflated price by several thousands of dollars. We’re not talking about paying too much for a candy bar. That’s pretty basic self control, or maybe not for a typical American?

Point being, those dealerships will only get away with it for so long before going out of business. The buying population reacts and so will the dealership if they want to stay in business.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
These dealerships work hard at maintaining their slimy reputations. I despise the games they play and wish their practices would cease. I looked for many months for a build configuration that I wanted (I didn't even want to spend the time to order one). Once I found one that worked, it had a too-good price advertised and I called the "Internet Manager" to verify all pricing and find out what the 'catch' would be. The only thing stated was the need to finance with them. I don't finance vehicles, but to get the deal I agreed. I asked every way conceivable if the price was firm and what would show on the bottom line. Of course when I show up and the paperwork is in front of me, it's $2,000+/- more for Locking lug nuts (which I despise), tinted windows (which I can get for 75% less with a lifetime warranty), and one other item that I can't recall that is also overpriced and unnecessary. Of course the "Internet Manager" is nowhere to be found and yet another "manager" is going to solve the problem by discounting 25% off the dealer add-on's. I'm always prepared to walk out of a dealership, and proceeded to do just that. After chasing me to my car they waved the add-on, thus "not making any money on the deal". Filthy liars they are, then comes the finance manager..... The head scumbag in a dealership.
Each dealership has to have a scam to draw a customer contact. Autonation CDJR in North Richland Hills Texas uses the dealer add on scam. It amazes me in this day and information age that their business practices are apparently still viable. There's a special place in hell for 96% of the people employed in that business.
Sponsored