John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I am on my third visit to the dealer for my emergency brake sticking. If it's parked at an incline front up, I have to hold the button and pull up on the handle to unstick it. It makes a very audible pop when I do this. I dropped it off yesterday with an appt. I was told they will have to put me in a rental because there were a couple jobs to finish before he could look at it. I get dropped off at the car rental place. They have no cars. Dealer came back and took me to work, a few miles.
I didn't hear anything most all day. Towards the end I text them asking for the status. They said the mechanic wanted to keep it overnight. He wanted to park it on an incline to see if the shoes were sticking. I know this is long but it has a point. I figured they probably didn't get to it, so I drove by the dealer this morning on the way to work. It was at 5:30 (two hours before they open) Here is a picture of my truck sitting in a parking lot, just a regular space. I would rather they just give me the truck back until they could really look at it. I also don't thing they are paying attention to what the problem is. Here is the pic. I'm just bitching. I love my truck and if they don't fix it, I will fix it myself. They put me in a wrangler for a rental later on. I am so glad I bought a Gladiator.

IMG_1721.jpeg
Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I'm just bitching. I love my truck and if they don't fix it, I will fix it myself.
I hear ya. Some things just aren't worth bringing it to the dealer for. IMO, this is one of them.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I mean, if they aren't at the shop, I wouldn't want them parking it on an incline testing the problem completely unattended. I want someone there in case something happens. If everyone's gone for the day I'd want the truck parked in a controlled area. Liability.

Sounds like they're busy, just like most dealerships. You're in the queue. I've worked in shops before and you can never 100% estimate when you'll get one vehicle done and on to the next. That's why we always gave service time windows. Get me the car on the lot so I can work on it once the schedule allows. If I don't have it, I can't afford to wait for you to bring it to me. I'm moving on to the next one.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I mean, if they aren't at the shop, I wouldn't want them parking it on an incline testing the problem completely unattended. I want someone there in case something happens. If everyone's gone for the day I'd want the truck parked in a controlled area. Liability.

Sounds like they're busy, just like most dealerships. You're in the queue. I've worked in shops before and you can never 100% estimate when you'll get one vehicle done and on to the next. That's why we always gave service time windows. Get me the car on the lot so I can work on it once the schedule allows. If I don't have it, I can't afford to wait for you to bring it to me. I'm moving on to the next one.
^^^this^^^

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
So the dealer service drone made up/lied about the status of your vehicle? I would be chapped on that one and a few phone calls to the BBB and Owner may be in order. You pay your money and expect competent service. Having worked in service shops, I can say the level of stupidity and malfeasence is getting worse. Par for the couse when youtube is the service manual.

On the sticking issue, do you stop, shift to neutral, set the brake and then release the foot brake? Finally, shift to Park or whatever gear you use if a manual. This allows the parking brake to be set securely with a load and may contribute to the binding.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

It doesn’t need to be on a hill, just a slant. I can reproduce it right away and told them that. I would have preferred honesty of “we didn’t get to it, bring it back tomorrow” and it was not a secured or controlled area. I drove back there at 5 this morning and snapped the pic. Dealers just suck. That is what I’ve learned. Other makes as well.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Patience in this time where every business is short handed is needed

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Patience in this time where every business is short handed is needed
That excuse is getting stretched as well. Anyway, I’m more venting about the lying. Shamdemic is no good excuse to lie to me.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
It sounds like the e-brake tensioner needs to be tightened. If it's loose enough that it requires you to yank it high, the torque imposed causes you to have to hold and yank it even higher to release it. This is exacerbated on an incline, the truck is having to bind up the pads on the rotor to keep the truck static. The clunk is the pads unbinding from the rotors. This isn't uncommon and would require the removal of a rubber plug and a screwdriver to rotate the spring's gear.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
That excuse is getting stretched as well. Anyway, I’m more venting about the lying. Shamdemic is no good excuse to lie to me.
I agree 100%.

I have no issue having to wait for something (service, delivery etc.) provided the company I am dealing with is honest up front with the time frame. But, instead, they lie to you to make you stay with their business.

The.... its in stock and ready to ship when its not (especially when they charge your credit card and then later admit they have no stock and have to order more and thus have no shipping ETA). Or, we'll get to it later today when they know they have 3 out of 7 techs out with Covid or 5 vehicles on their 7 lifts with engines torn down.

I just want them to be honest. I can live with that.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I agree 100%.

I have no issue having to wait for something (service, delivery etc.) provided the company I am dealing with is honest up front with the time frame. But, instead, they lie to you to make you stay with their business.

The.... its in stock and ready to ship when its not (especially when they charge your credit card and then later admit they have no stock and have to order more and thus have no shipping ETA). Or, we'll get to it later today when they know they have 3 out of 7 techs out with Covid or 5 vehicles on their 7 lifts with engines torn down.

I just want them to be honest. I can live with that.
The problem, coming someone who works in the supply chain, is that we simply don't know. Because our suppliers don't know, and our suppliers' suppliers don't know, and so on. The covid thing really is unpredictable. There are a lot less employees working, and those that are there call off a lot more from the burnout of being overworked and minimally staffed, and it becomes a vicious cycle. And then on top of that, folks keep getting sick. Not only do you lose the sick person, but the entire department or plant in some cases due to quarantining. So required output is always less than demand, because you're not getting the number of shifts you should be.

Some questions are unanswerable until day of production or shipment, such as "Will Timmy in manufacturing show up today?", Or how will our deadline change now that the entire production line is on quarantine? Or now we have product, but the driver dropped the load. What now?

Also, a lot of systems don't allocate stock realtime, like Amazon does. Amazon is the exception, not the norm. This is transparent to the end user when there is ample stock. But when there isn't, it means at pick time, if there are 2 on order, and one in stock, someone is not getting anything. Sucks, but real-time product allocation is far from universal, and this time of shortages is exposing all of the ugly flaws in the system.

Other times, we'll think we're getting something from a supplier only to find out their production was cancelled (covid, employee or supply shortage), so now we're not. Production is so tight right now that product that hasn't even been made yet is being promised, pending production. Then when someone gets covid, or something breaks, you get nothing but empty promises. So the reality is, no one knows, and that sucks for everyone. No one wants to hear "I don't know" as an answer, but I've learned many times over the last 2 years that you can be supposedly 100% certain, and still be wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The problem, coming someone who works in the supply chain, is that we simply don't know. Because our suppliers don't know, and our suppliers' suppliers don't know, and so on. The covid thing really is unpredictable. There are a lot less employees working, and those that are there call off a lot more from the burnout of being overworked and minimally staffed, and it becomes a vicious cycle. And then on top of that, folks keep getting sick. Not only do you lose the sick person, but the entire department or plant in some cases due to quarantining. So required output is always less than demand, because you're not getting the number of shifts you should be.

Some questions are unanswerable until day of production or shipment, such as "Will Timmy in manufacturing show up today?", Or how will our deadline change now that the entire production line is on quarantine? Or now we have product, but the driver dropped the load. What now?

Also, a lot of systems don't allocate stock realtime, like Amazon does. Amazon is the exception, not the norm. This is transparent to the end user when there is ample stock. But when there isn't, it means at pick time, if there are 2 on order, and one in stock, someone is not getting anything. Sucks, but real-time product allocation is far from universal, and this time of shortages is exposing all of the ugly flaws in the system.

Other times, we'll think we're getting something from a supplier only to find out their production was cancelled (covid, employee or supply shortage), so now we're not. Production is so tight right now that product that hasn't even been made yet is being promised, pending production. Then when someone gets covid, or something breaks, you get nothing but empty promises. So the reality is, no one knows, and that sucks for everyone. No one wants to hear "I don't know" as an answer, but I've learned many times over the last 2 years that you can be supposedly 100% certain, and still be wrong.
Again, this was a lying to me issue. He said they want it to sit on an incline overnight. I kind of knew it sounded like bullshit but ok. They just had it parked in the back in a flat parking lot all night. It means they couldn't get to it yesterday and that is fine. I understand shit happens. I've bought new cars every two years since 2005 and most dealers act this way. It's frustrating to not be able to trust any of them. I love this Gladiator and at the 2 year mark last month, I bought rims and tires. I have finally found something I love 2 years later. I am keeping it and if they bullshit around anymore, I will just fix it myself. I still consider myself lucky. This, the start/stop trash and the sun visor are the only problems I've had. I bought a new visor myself and now it works great. I will have to buy some batteries probably and who knows, maybe they will fix my E-brake this time. Thanks for listening. I love this forum and it's cheaper than a therapist.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for listening. I love this forum and it's cheaper than a therapist.
thank you too, for reading my supply chain rant ;) . Completely understand what you're saying about the dealer not really checking on your e-brake issue.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Go on a 100-200mi road trip and when you first leave, pull the e-brake up 4 clicks. Come back and the problem should be fixed.

:D:D

On the topic of e-brakes, it's a little frustrating that my first vehicle in 14 years that has a lever e-brake instead of a pedal or a switch is a high COG vehicle.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go on a 100-200mi road trip and when you first leave, pull the e-brake up 4 clicks. Come back and the problem should be fixed.

:D:D

On the topic of e-brakes, it's a little frustrating that my first vehicle in 14 years that has a lever e-brake instead of a pedal or a switch is a high COG vehicle.
I'm actually really glad to have a real handle brake again, after my last 3 vehicles had the electric version. I don't care for the electronic brake or the pedal version, at all. But handle brakes are going the way of the dodo.

But I guess no drifting in the jeep LOL. I too hate that so many sporty cars now have electronic brakes.
Sponsored