Sponsored

Death Wobble with Mopar lift and BFG 37s Solved???

raypla

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD Stingray
Occupation
Facility Planner
Can you try the old rims and tires? Were they hubcentric or did they have rings as well?
Sponsored

OP
OP
310H22A

310H22A

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
O&G
Can you try the old rims and tires? Were they hubcentric or did they have rings as well?
I still have them and yes they are hub centric and don’t require rings but they are heavy and loud as hell. If the toe adjustment doesn’t fix it tomorrow I’ll throw them on and see what happens.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
The easiest thing to test would be switching back to old wheels. If that instantly solves it then it’s probably not an inherent steering issue.
I’ve had a bad wobble that comes on at speed with some used 37s I bought.
When I throw my Oem tires back on to go in the snow or long trip, the truck rides like butter. It’s bad balance in my used up 37” tires (or bad wheel).

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
Steering Stabilizer does not cause, nor cure, death wobble. The Stabilizers job is to dampen the effect of large impacts so the steering wheel isn't stripped out of your hands when you hit a pothole or small child. It is a driving comfort and safety thing. A properly maintained and aligned steering steering system technically doesn't even need a Stabilizer.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Diesel, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Eng.
I will not claim that I am an expert on DW but I struggled with it on my rig after I installed lift and large tires. I successfully fixed it after trying everything I was reading on internet. I tried diferent cast from 4 to 8 eventually settled on 6. I replaced track bar that I thought had worn bushings and steering stabilizer but none of that fixed it. DW is harmonic vibration that amplify itself if vibration is allowed to oscillate. I installed adjustable Fox ATS steering stabilizer and dialed resistance to the setting that canceled harmonic propagation of the side-to-side wobble. There is no way to have zero play in your front suspension no matter how much you will torque it. Bushings on all suspension components are wearing out and there will be more and more play between them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
310H22A

310H22A

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
O&G
Had tires rebalanced and toe adjusted. I’ll put some miles on it tonight and see if DW is still an issue.

Jeep Gladiator Death Wobble with Mopar lift and BFG 37s Solved??? 7113D38A-5E07-41C9-B6C5-E0E0F322C996

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Had tires rebalanced and toe adjusted. I’ll put some miles on it tonight and see if DW is still an issue.

Jeep Gladiator Death Wobble with Mopar lift and BFG 37s Solved??? 7113D38A-5E07-41C9-B6C5-E0E0F322C996
You need that caster closer to 6. Adjustable control arms if you have them or geometry correction brackets, which will also improve the impact angles and get them back into the suspension vertically and out of the frame.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
From what I’ve read from Lift manufactures, and other people having it done your caster angle seems low. If I’m not mistaken, I think the targets around 6°.

Additionally, your pre-alignment measurement of 1 inch is way out of spec. It should’ve been somewhere around an eighth of an inch. Also, take into consideration and less you bought it outside of the Mopar kit. You’re missing the front and rear track bar. Most important would be the front.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
You need that caster closer to 6. Adjustable control arms if you have them or geometry correction brackets, which will also improve the impact angles and get them back into the suspension vertically and out of the frame.
You beat me to it…lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
310H22A

310H22A

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
O&G
I think I’m going to go ahead a replace control arms and track bars with one kit.

Jeep Gladiator Death Wobble with Mopar lift and BFG 37s Solved??? A502C2BC-2637-4A0E-BC71-C24F42F48509

OP
OP
310H22A

310H22A

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
O&G
Well DW is gone but I’m still getting quite a bit of bump steer. Is the solution more caster (geo brackets or longer lower control arms), a track bar relocation bracket, or high steer kit???

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Steering Stabilizer does not cause, nor cure, death wobble. The Stabilizers job is to dampen the effect of large impacts so the steering wheel isn't stripped out of your hands when you hit a pothole or small child. It is a driving comfort and safety thing. A properly maintained and aligned steering steering system technically doesn't even need a Stabilizer.
They are to mitigate bump steer, etc. - and bump steer is not the same as DW.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Well DW is gone but I’m still getting quite a bit of bump steer. Is the solution more caster (geo brackets or longer lower control arms), a track bar relocation bracket, or high steer kit???
Bump steer isn't caster.
You need to keep the track bar as parallel to the ground as possible - and in line with the steering linkage.

Wheel spacers moving the wheels outward can contribute as the tire/wheel now has more leverage to pull back on that side - it's a longer lever away from the ball joints or point of pivot as it moves left or right.
Bump steer is what the stabilizer can help mitigate.
Sponsored