Sponsored

Delete push button start, go back to keyed ignition? The rfid brick has to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
New for 2021 the improved Jeep fob..... you can carry your lunch, books and laptops inside.
Yes I know it's been on other threads. I'm of the less is better electronics vehicle. A mechanical link to start and STOP a engine is a great thing. I have seen more than one vehicle have a "stuck" at full throttle situation. Less is more to some. No I don't want my T.V. toaster and everything recording and "talking" and what not.

fob-jpg.jpg
Love it:CWL::CWL::CWL:

I wonder who the designer/engineer for this fob is...i can't imagine there were any men considered in the planning for it. Or...they couldn't wait to roll it out like that as sort an eff you and cruel joke? We can make computers fit in our pocket but the key to start a car the size of a kitten?:facepalm:
Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Wonderful, i'm 5000 kms in and still frying bigger fish with mods but it's looking good to get particular issue sorted out so when i get a chance i'll be looking to fix this absurdity. I'll never get over the fact there's no longer a direct physical link to start and operate a two ton death machine with all the liability and risk that goes with. You'll have a bad day or two with that tech, was never needed, people are having plenty of bad days with this ridiculous concept of rfid thin air link to initiate control of a two ton death machine.

LOL, you should change your screen name to Mr. Hyperbole.

And it's a 2.5 ton DEATH MACHINE!

Now I'm going to have nightmares about roving bands of killers with match box sized weiners in skinny jeans driving hacked Gladiators. The HORROR!
81B1D2D8-51E6-4881-9730-01113E0E3681_jpeg-1101395.JPG

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
so there is another thread on this that i've done the grumpy old man rant routine, currently i've left a call out, thought it may as well be here...

"tap tap tap...

still waiting....for any reasons for push button start/proximity entry rfid bullshit other than the only obvious one...straight up laziness?...er i mean...'convenience'

any valid reasons?

anyone else wanna take a stab at it?

IS THERE NO ONE ELSE?!

Sorry, it is a gladiator forum. ;)"

Dovi82

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S (STOCK) 2014 Jeep JK (NOT STOCK)
Occupation
Wouldn't you like to know.
Just an alternative idea, there is a specific slot in the middle of the cup holder for the fob. Always putting it there will maintain your desire to keep the key with the truck. Just think of it as your ignition switch. While this doesn’t provide a lockout like legacy ignition keys and switches, it does offer a specific place for the fob to support your habits without tinkering with wiring.

This is a big honking fob. The plus side of that is that it is easier to find if dropped. My ‘12 JKUR has the traditional ignition switch and buttons for locks and remote start. Neither approach bothers me.

Mine stays in my pocket. I love the proximity detection. Walk up, grab the door handle, open, climb in and start it up. I’m really starting to prefer the newer tech.

Good luck with your solution.

Jeep Gladiator Delete push button start, go back to keyed ignition? The rfid brick has to go... 81B1D2D8-51E6-4881-9730-01113E0E3681_jpeg-1101395.JPG
Welp, I was today years old when I found out that wasn't the phone holder.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You are aware that you can keep the Jeep running, and get out with the fob, and lock the doors with the fob, and walk into a store real quick, right? You don’t have to have a physical key setup to do this...

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
You are aware that you can keep the Jeep running, and get out with the fob, and lock the doors with the fob, and walk into a store real quick, right? You don’t have to have a physical key setup to do this...
And....In the jeep you use the key all the time. You lock your glove box, your center console, the back of the seats- it's really convenient to have the fob not in the ignition. I used to hate mu JKU, because I would lock the glove box or center console, and of course need to open it when I was driving. You would have to pull over and stop the jeep to open the glove box or center console. I guess if you never take the hard top off (whats the point of a convertible then?) then its just another keyless fob- for just another off road truck.

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I've never once used the key for anything, so far. Not a single time. I rarely press buttons on it. Mostly I do remote start from the app on my Apple Watch, and unlock by just touching the door handle. I lock by pressing the door button. The fob lives on a nice purpose-made clip hanging from a belt loop. Before I had that, I just used a generic carabiner to hold my key fob. Totally makes it a non-issue, never even think about it. Just always there.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
still waiting....for any reasons for push button start/proximity entry rfid bullshit other than the only obvious one...straight up laziness?...er i mean...'convenience'
Yes, laziness and/or convenience. No-key usage was one of the features I wanted. My wife's 2011 BMW has that and I always wanted it too. That's enough reason. Just being a whiny little girl is the only reason for air conditioning too. Real Men(tm) ride with the windows down and their head out the window.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I’m a boomer. I like the push button start. No keys hanging from the column and scratching it up.

I just hate the oversized fob. There is no reason for this thing to be so big. One button to lock, the same one to unlock. It would be nice if it fit on a key ring in a normal pocket. Don’t need the panic button (got a Glock for that, hey-it’s a boomer thing). Surely there is technology for that! Energy better would be an app for my iPhone that replaces the fob all together!

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’m a boomer. I like the push button start. No keys hanging from the column and scratching it up.

I just hate the oversized fob. There is no reason for this thing to be so big. One button to lock, the same one to unlock. It would be nice if it fit on a key ring in a normal pocket. Don’t need the panic button (got a Glock for that, hey-it’s a boomer thing). Surely there is technology for that! Energy better would be an app for my iPhone that replaces the fob all together!
Short of proximity detection allowing you to drive without the key (which they don’t allow for theft reasons) there is one... The UConnect app. :like:

Swayze

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
[/QUOTE]
I've never once used the key for anything, so far. Not a single time. I rarely press buttons on it. Mostly I do remote start from the app on my Apple Watch, and unlock by just touching the door handle. I lock by pressing the door button. The fob lives on a nice purpose-made clip hanging from a belt loop. Before I had that, I just used a generic carabiner to hold my key fob. Totally makes it a non-issue, never even think about it. Just always there.
I keep my LTC Ruger EC9 in my center console in places where I can't carry it in. Since I have the hard top off, I lock the center console. A rifle in a soft case also fits behind the seats which are also lockable with the key. It's necessary to have places where your weapons can be secure with the soft top on or top off completely and Jeep supplied an easy way to do that, again with the actual key.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Awesome tip, I had these for my Tacoma, this looks like it cuts the size in half.
They don't. This doesn't solve anything at all. It's maybe a couple millimeters smaller. Worthless. They show a side by side on the web site. And if you use the key for things like the interior locks, then you have to fight with a sliding cover instead of pressing a button.

This is what I'm using, which makes it bigger, but it just hangs out of the way on my side: https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-IN-1-Lea...ag-For-Jeep-For-Wrangler-JL-2018/293462746448

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
What I don't get is why FCA didn't just re-badge the Ram fob. It's not like the Gladiator fob added any features like water or drop resistance...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.