First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
A friend of my brother, and another person who is a friend of my wife both had Jeeps, the Sahara versions - one sold his a few years after he bought it new for almost the same price he paid for it, and the other sold theirs for MORE than they paid for it used 5 years prior.
I agree, Wife had an 08 JK Sahara, Ordered it straight from factory and delivered in 10/07 Paid 25K. In 10/13, she got rear-ended by a Prius going over 50mph. Looking at it, the only obvious issue was right rear bumper tip crushed and RR tire flat. They ended up totaling it. The Roll cage did its job and saved the wifes life! Insurance paid out 26.5. + $1500 for 6 years use.
Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I agree, Wife had an 08 JK Sahara, Ordered it straight from factory and delivered in 10/07 Paid 25K. In 10/13, she got rear-ended by a Prius going over 50mph. Looking at it, the only obvious issue was right rear bumper tip crushed and RR tire flat. They ended up totaling it. The Roll cage did its job and saved the wifes life! Insurance paid out 26.5. + $1500 for 6 years use.
Sold my Rubicon in 4 days for almost what I paid for it after 3 years and 30K miles. Took 7 weeks to sell my Sahara for about 60% of what I paid for it after 3 years. Just saying, where I live Rubicon's are more desirable, Sahara's are more for the mall crawlers and soccer moms. 6 years later you did extremely well considering you could have bought a new one for not much more than the insurance company paid you.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Tan interior shows dirt easier - get seat covers. Be content. Next week the dealer might have the same Rubicon without tan seats and you'll wish you'd have waited. Or Mohave will drop in price and then you could grab one of those. I ordered my max tow because we want to tow and got everything we wanted except LED, because I wasn't too sure how they would do in snow. But we can always add LEDs, other packages aren't always so easy to add later.

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Mojave, 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Occupation
IT Director
ok guys, what would you do?

I ordered a almost fully loaded Sport S W/ Max tow back at the end of November and I'm supposed to be taking delivery sometime in the next 2 weeks. the only option I didn't get were the LED because it was starting to get a little expensive. To say I'm excited is an understatement. And I just sold off my 07 JKUS at a great price so I'm committed now.

The dilemma comes to play here. I was surfing through the dealers inventory online (fantasizing about my Gladiator) when I came across a Rubicon at a similar price. The only difference is that this Rubicon is a 2020 model with the Tan leather (not a huge fan) and LED package. its missing the color match fenders and some of the other accessories but generally speaking all the important bits are there.

Should I go for the Rubi instead?

This is a daily driver with minimal off road. I'm also looking at this from a resale value perspective in five to ten years. I guess in the end I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons.
If they have a Rubicon at the same price point but only a 2020 I would take the Rubicon. New Vehicle warranty starts at time of delivery, so 3 year 36k the same for both. Rubi has the 4.10 gears, but also has locking front and rear diff, not just the limited slip. Rubi has the LEDs you want. The brown leather isn't that bad, you could probably find someone with cloth that would be willing to trade and you aren't stuck with the Baboon's ass red dashboard. As for the fenders, I personally chose black plastic because I didn't want to be worried about scratches etc when I off road, plus I can replace them a lot cheaper without a body shop (just a thought). Lastly I would look at the Insurance and property taxes, you may save some money with the vehicle already being "1 year old". Only thing I would force the dealer to do is the Steering box TSB. But go with the Rubicon is my opinion.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I would go with the Rubicon personally unless there are some major costly features you found important on your custom build. Cargo management is expensive to add later, so are aux switches, ACC is impossible, prox entry isn't easy. It really comes down to what you put on your build and how important it is VS lockers and sway bar disconnect.

LEDs are easy to do a custom aftermarket build better than what Mopar offers. I love my Oracle lights, and am considering the fender chop LEDs. If you have the desire you can do better than mopar for what they charge.

Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
You mentioned it's going to be your daily driver and you won't be doing much off-roading. I think if you're attracted to the Rubicon because of its higher fenders, I think that's your answer - you don't need a Rubicon. Now you did order a Max Tow - if you're planning on towing, you have your answer.

Plus, yes JTRs will have higher resale value, but the Rubicon is always going to be a year older than your SS Max Tow.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I would go with the Rubicon personally unless there are some major costly features you found important on your custom build. Cargo management is expensive to add later, so are aux switches, ACC is impossible, prox entry isn't easy. It really comes down to what you put on your build and how important it is VS lockers and sway bar disconnect.

LEDs are easy to do a custom aftermarket build better than what Mopar offers. I love my Oracle lights, and am considering the fender chop LEDs. If you have the desire you can do better than mopar for what they charge.
Passive entry is actually a simple add. AT least it was for me. And if you buy just the missing harness parts from a forum member, it's even easier and cheaper. I did it in cold weather.
Cargo management solutions by members are not only creative, but not expensive to add. You can do basics for $100 (depending on your definition of management)

ACC is a biggy - that would be a nightmare for most to add.

AUX switches, there are sub-$50 solutions for that as well, but some members have bought them from various vendors and added them. I've owned mine a year now and haven't truly missed them. I may add something later, but right now don't have a big need (unless I go after-market backup lights, then MAYBE, but I'd probably use the cheaper solution for under 50 bucks)

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Lots of good thoughts in here, but as someone who has neither and has looked at either - I would forever regret not getting a Rubicon for the same/similar price.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Zero regrets here....... I resolved my main regret (that was a mess-up by the sales guy)- passive entry.

Sure I wish it tracked wider but then I don't tow high profile things at all, ever, and I don't tow often enough.......3 times a year, perhaps 4.
I don't miss the added complexity that some people have nothing but trouble with and I'd not use to begin with.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sold my Rubicon in 4 days for almost what I paid for it after 3 years and 30K miles. Took 7 weeks to sell my Sahara for about 60% of what I paid for it after 3 years. Just saying, where I live Rubicon's are more desirable, Sahara's are more for the mall crawlers and soccer moms. 6 years later you did extremely well considering you could have bought a new one for not much more than the insurance company paid you.
There must have been something wrong with that Sahara. I have sold 3 Rubicons and 3 Saharas over the years: never had any issues selling any of them. They all sold within a week and held their value very well.

The key is bringing them back to factory spec as much as possible, and pricing them realistically.

In fact, the worst for me was a 2018 JKUR Recon with 8,000 miles I traded in for a Toyota Tacoma TRD: that Rubicon lost 39% of its value and sat on the lot for two months. I checked KBB before trading it in, too; that’s what they were going for. Never again.

When the time came to buy this JL, I searched hard. It was a new, unsold, year-old unit; got it for 22% off MSRP.

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
There must have been something wrong with that Sahara. I have sold 3 Rubicons and 3 Saharas over the years: never had any issues selling any of them. They all sold within a week and held their value very well.

The key is bringing them back to factory spec as much as possible, and pricing them realistically.

In fact, the worst for me was a 2018 JKUR Recon with 8,000 miles I traded in for a Toyota Tacoma TRD: that Rubicon lost 39% of its value and sat on the lot for two months. I checked KBB before trading it in, too; that’s what they were going for. Never again.

When the time came to buy this JL, I searched hard. It was a new, unsold, year-old unit; got it for 22% off MSRP.
Nope, nothing wrong with the Sahara. Both had 3" lifts, 35" tires both 4.56 gears, both Gobi roof racks and both had roof top tents. Different kind of buyer for Sahara than Rubicon that's all. Sahara more for the soccer mom and the person who won't do much if any off road driving I've found.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, nothing wrong with the Sahara. Both had 3" lifts, 35" tires both 4.56 gears, both Gobi roof racks and both had roof top tents. Different kind of buyer for Sahara than Rubicon that's all. Sahara more for the soccer mom and the person who won't do much if any off road driving I've found.
Most Rubicons never see a dirt road, either.

We live in a time of Instagram, when people will buy a $60,000 Jeep, spend another $10,000 in mods, so that they can project an adventurous image online.

People who really know Jeeps can see past the stereotypes and the hood stickers.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
This has been discussed ad nauseum. The truth is that Rubicons do not have a higher resale value. They are more expensive to begin with and the actual percentage of value is higher for the lower models. I know people will argue this but that is the pure numbers.
I am the oddball that has a Rubicon but I go to the Max Tow as my go to recommendation. Here is where we go astray. If you want options that are not available on the Sport then go for the Overland or Rubicon. You have found a Rubicon for the same money but remember it is a year old already so not apples to oranges really. And also remember that if you don't need the lockers and sway bar disconnect then do you want to fix them when they break?
I can appreciate that this would be a hard decision and I don't envy you. I ordered mine and got it just the way I wanted it and I really like that.
And yes, you can add almost anything including LED lighting down the road. And I have seen lots of Rubicon fenders on the used market. Probably will be even more as more aftermarket options become available.

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
You need to buy what you want. If the Rubi is what you want then get it! But if you're compromising, then wait for your Sport S. If your not going off road then you will never miss the Rubi. You will notice that tan interior every time you get in the Jeep.

There is a great thread on replacing your halogen bulbs with LEDs on this website. Everyone has been happy with the switch and it only costs around $100 for all the bulbs for the truck.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Passive entry is actually a simple add. AT least it was for me. And if you buy just the missing harness parts from a forum member, it's even easier and cheaper. I did it in cold weather.
Cargo management solutions by members are not only creative, but not expensive to add. You can do basics for $100 (depending on your definition of management)

ACC is a biggy - that would be a nightmare for most to add.

AUX switches, there are sub-$50 solutions for that as well, but some members have bought them from various vendors and added them. I've owned mine a year now and haven't truly missed them. I may add something later, but right now don't have a big need (unless I go after-market backup lights, then MAYBE, but I'd probably use the cheaper solution for under 50 bucks)

Saw the posts, never knew it had become that easy for the prox. Just wish there was a way to do it with the tailgate, the one part I would really like it for.

For cargo management it specifically is that underseat box. for whatever reason there is no 3rd party part and it is expensive as hell from FCA. I agree the rails are not a great value, and the plug is so-so.

I agree, I have had the aux package for 14 months and just put the halo's on my headlights on there just to have something to use them for, lol. but I know it isn't the easiest install, but the new 6 switch one looks pretty cool.
Sponsored