Sponsored

Diamondback HD Mounts - Crushing side rails!

OP
OP
mmatthie

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
I installed mine knowing this could happen. Problem was for me, clamps kept falling off so I’d tighten more. Once clamps stopped falling off it was crushed. I’m on the list for a repair kit :(
This is EXACTLY what happened to me. When you mean "on a list for a repair kit"...what do you mean? Did you contact DB? Did you buy some replacement parts?

I contacted DB and they want me to send them my serial #...doing that now. I'll let you know.
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I did the shims they sent about 6 months ago. Holding up pretty good so far. I just wish they had sent just a few more so I could have shimmed the entire thing to be on the safe side.

OP
OP
mmatthie

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
Update...they're sending me shims. I asked about the crushed rails...saying: "my truck is basically brand new"!!!...their reply: "It's most likely just the bed rail caps" *shrugs*

In other words...well...you fill in the blanks

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Update...they're sending me shims. I asked about the crushed rails...saying: "my truck is basically brand new"!!!...their reply: "It's most likely just the bed rail caps" *shrugs*

In other words...well...you fill in the blanks
Great product. But they're not so much customer centric.
They had a tie down strap promotion a couple days after I ordered. They hadn't even shipped yet. I asked them if they could throw them in the box. Nope. Not even a cheap pair of straps after spending $1500 on their cover. Hahah.
Well, they're not hurting for business. No incentive to provide more personal experience.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Is it just me or do the Diamondback hard bed cover clamps crush the sides of the bed rails? Every picture I’ve seen on here and in YouTube videos I see it. I mean the obvious is, don’t crank down on the bolts so much...but I’m seeing it everywhere.

I haven’t had a chance to look under the plastic covers on the rail to see if the plastic is just crushed or if the metal is underneath...but I was wondering others’ takes on it
Photo?

Sponsored

Rubijeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT Rubicon
I just installed the HD version without rail. What part where you guys referring to? I don’t see anything crushing?

A5B9C2FB-98E5-4AE1-B716-361CA67F6FF0.jpeg

B83CEF9E-1217-469A-B81D-4F78C32D547C.jpeg

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I just installed the HD version without rail. What part where you guys referring to? I don’t see anything crushing?

A5B9C2FB-98E5-4AE1-B716-361CA67F6FF0.jpeg

B83CEF9E-1217-469A-B81D-4F78C32D547C.jpeg
The plastic caps that runs along the top of the bed sides. You might not see it as readily since you don't have the bed rails to compare it to.
It you had a long straight edge, you might notice the plastic caps dips in the center when the clamps are fully tightened.

OP
OP
mmatthie

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
I can try and take a photo tomorrow, but I see it often where people have this issue...but yes, it's the plastic covers for the rails on the top sides that get crushed in the middle. When you take the cover off it looks deformed.

GreyGhost

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

Matt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
I emailed Diamondback asking if they could send me the Toyota shims while I was waiting for my cover to ship. They told me they were working on gladiator specific shims so I said I’d wait.
No shims in the box with the cover, but they sent them right out when I asked for them.
they only sent 6 shims. So I put 3 on each side where the center piece clamps on. Would have been nice if they gave more so I could put them near the ends too since I’m mounting a tent on the Frontrunner rack they sell.
The shims work well though, no smashed bed caps on my JT.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I reached out to them the other day for the shims. They didn’t have any.... I fabbed my own from 1/4” hard rubber and two sided tape. Worked great. No more smash. I did destroy my rail caps getting them off. They are only $35 each at the dealership. Cost of doing business I guess.

I'm assuming that is $35 each, or is it for the L/R bed cap set?

Edit:
Never mind, reading is hard

About $20 EACH before shipping if purchasing online (preferably from a forum sponsor)
Rail Cap right: 68343262AB
Rail Cap left: 68343263AB

Last edited:

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
My DB cover arrives tomorrow morning. I'll be curious to see if they have started including shims as part of the Gladiator install kit.
FWIW, I have DIY strut channel rails to clamp too.

Is anyone, with shims, able to post a picture of what they look like (from Diamond Back)

Cheers
Sponsored