Diamondback HD

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
The oldest original style Yakima "1A" towers, that they still make, that were designed to clamp to raingutters when near-all vehicles still had raingutters... are about the tallest racks I have come across (I still have some). And then they also make the Yakima "1A highrise spacers" that jack the crossbars up another 3.5 inches above the usual Yakima tower height. If you mounted some of the Thule "542" "artificial raingutters" on the top surface of the DB and then clamped Yakima 1A towers with the extra risers on, you'd be getting about as tall as I think you could do with this type of arrangement. With going that tall, I'd want to make extra big anchor plates for the underside of the DB, for the bolts going through the Thule 542s, in order to distribute the pull and twist of lateral loads. Also, with the old Yakima 1As, the "O.E.M." bars are a polyethylene coated steel, but I measured and found it was some standard increment of inch increments and I was able to get some stainless tube of the same diameter - doesn't get scraped up like the Yakima poly-coated bars.

Or, go whole hog and get a set of these: https://diamondbackcovers.com/collections/ladder-racks/products/cover-mount-rack?variant=29553915209
Another thought -

Put some L-track down the tops of the covers:
https://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/Heavy-Duty-L-Track
and then use some of the boltable hardware to bolt the rack o' your dreams on top (which you could make out of Unistrut and Unistrut hardware).
Using the L track would make it easier to mount/dismount your rack or even change your rack over time without swiss-cheesing your Diamondback over and over.
Sponsored

GreyGhost

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Occupation
Retired
Can you explain the rail system inside the cover and how to DIY????

Still loving the HD cover, works great for bikes and RTT. Trying out a pair of the DB tool bars now.

Jeep Gladiator Diamondback HD img_0709-

Thanks

GreyGhost

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Thanks' for the info I kept researching and figured it out...:like: I have two options buying the TB from DiamondBack or I can make them with extruded aluminum 1.50 x 75 x 42
Just keep in mind, if mounting to the supports like I did, there is no way to get to the inside for a regular nut/bolt.

GreyGhost

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Occupation
Retired
Just keep in mind, if mounting to the supports like I did, there is no way to get to the inside for a regular nut/bolt.
Got it I'm planning on using 10-32x3/4” Button Head Screws (8) 10-32 Rubber Well Nuts (8) or nutsert.

Thanks again

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Still loving the HD cover, works great for bikes and RTT. Trying out a pair of the DB tool bars now.

Jeep Gladiator Diamondback HD atorforum.com%2Fforum%2Fattachments%2Fimg_0682-

Been thinking about something like these before they even anounced them. Really want them, but the price is a little steep. does the ease of install the kit brings make it worthwile?

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Been thinking about something like these before they even anounced them. Really want them, but the price is a little steep. does the ease of install the kit brings make it worthwile?
I don't find $100 for a mod too high personally, but that's a personal call. I'm not kidding when I say mark your holes with a sharpie, drill 4 holes, and bolt em down. Very easy and quick install. I was able to install the HD cover by myself as well, I think DB really makes their stuff work properly.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I don't find $100 for a mod too high personally, but that's a personal call. I'm not kidding when I say mark your holes with a sharpie, drill 4 holes, and bolt em down. Very easy and quick install. I was able to install the HD cover by myself as well, I think DB really makes their stuff work properly.
I think its when I start to add on how much I spent on a bed cover. Like ya its quality but being at 2k before anything is done is a hard pill to swallow. I kind of want all the accessories though. This, and the rack system, and then even the light looks like it would be crazy useful at night.

Sponsored

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
I think its when I start to add on how much I spent on a bed cover. Like ya its quality but being at 2k before anything is done is a hard pill to swallow. I kind of want all the accessories though. This, and the rack system, and then even the light looks like it would be crazy useful at night.
I completely understand where you're coming from with respect to costs.
There is a way to get the Frontrunner version installed at a lower cost than the prefabbed Diamondback version...

VolatileA

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Ray Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trader & Educator + A/V

On the fence between this exact setup and ACE's upper decker.

This is the hardest choice besides tires/wheels.

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
On the fence between this exact setup and ACE's upper decker.

This is the hardest choice besides tires/wheels.
I know plenty of people are happy with Ace, but not my buddy. I showed him my DB, but after he saw the price he went with Ace. He had an issue on something with the mounting and sealing of it. He also finds it more inconvenient to reach items in the back of the bed.

VolatileA

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Ray Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trader & Educator + A/V
I know plenty of people are happy with Ace, but not my buddy. I showed him my DB, but after he saw the price he went with Ace. He had an issue on something with the mounting and sealing of it. He also finds it more inconvenient to reach items in the back of the bed.
To get the Front Runner half rack on the DB the total will end up costing $2,200+ and the ACE route is about $1,500 (with shipping, sadly the free shipping code is no longer) so for $700 is access to the front of the bed that important? That's the question...

With free shipping on ACE, it would be a no brainer.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Re: the cost, I hesitated and thought long and hard about that also-both whether to go with DB at all, and then whether to get the SE or HD, take time to save up for it, etc. - but I now have the HD and have no regrets at all. Very well designed and well made.

I've had a rigid "Undercover" one piece lid on a Tacoma, and caps of various good quality make on several trucks - and the DB is an echelon above any of those in quality of design and quality of construction. Since I plan to keep this truck for a very long time I decided to "buy once, cry once" and am glad that I did.

The multipiece design makes it practical to unhook the gas cylinders to flip one of the sections of lid back to carry a compact tall object, or take one of the lid sections off, or, as one person, to fairly quickly and easily take the whole cover on and off - and I have ended up with situations where I wanted and did all of those things. The ACE looks like it has some appealing aspects but no way would I be able to get it on or off by myself, which I need the option to be able to do.

I hadn't even seen the newer accessories like the underside tool bars but they look useful and very well designed.
Sponsored