Sponsored

Diesel Oil Change intervals

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Let me start by saying, no I don't have a diesel JT.
Yes, I've been around diesels all my life, learned how to drive in a 1977 cab-over Peterbilt.

I have been through the transitions from dino oil to partial synth to full synth in oil for diesels.

Use your in dash oil life meter as a guide, but do NOT go much past 7500 miles between oil changes. Do not use the oil manufacturers guides for oil change intervals, they aren't warrantying your engine. Yes diesels run hotter. Yes heat is a killer to oil. Yes diesels run dirtier internally compared to gas.

If you're towing/hauling a majority of the time, if you're driving in consistently hot climates, then shorten your intervals on oil changes. Bad news for (I hate this term) "MallCrawlers", your short runs and not really getting everything up to temp throw you in the same category, shorter intervals.
If you're running mostly highway and interstate and you aren't hauling/towing, you get to stretch out the intervals, but again don't run it much past 7,500 miles.

First oil change, it's ingrained in me from another age and I still follow it. I go early, 2500-3000 miles. I drain the oil through a paper funnel strainer and I look for shiny bits.
You and I don't know WHAT they put in these trucks from the factory. So why risk it?
Sponsored

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
I see a Mobil 1 European spec 5w40 oil, is it good for these Jeep diesels? Says European cars, its a full syn...

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I see a Mobil 1 European spec 5w40 oil, is it good for these Jeep diesels? Says European cars, its a full syn...
No, a rep told me that NONE of their products are suitable for the EcoDiesel. That was about 4 weeks ago.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
No, a rep told me that NONE of their products are suitable for the EcoDiesel. That was about 4 weeks ago.
But, as seen on other forums; Pennzoil Euro spec is?

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Killin me...

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Honestly. I can't believe people get into oil analysis pages. I changed mine at 7k just before a trip. If in fact it does blow for some reason I've got plenty of warranty left. I just have the dealer change my oil. I was told by the dealer that the Jeep wave program consists of 3 oil changes per year for 3 years.
I ran the piss out of my Honda Civic for 26 years getting all the way to 580,000 miles. Ran nothing but Valvoline 10-30. Changed the oil at 3-4k. Always drove that car like I stole it. She never failed.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
But, as seen on other forums; Pennzoil Euro spec is?
The Pennzoil Euro 5W40 was reformulated in the spring of 2020 and I never got confirmation that the MS-12991 spec was approved for the new formulation. I assume it is, but I've never seen it in writing since the change.

I think it must be though, because the Quaker State is the same oil in a different branded bottle and it's got the MS-12991 cert right on the bottle.

cotnballs2000

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, past- USAF vehicle mechanic
The Pennzoil Euro 5W40 was reformulated in the spring of 2020 and I never got confirmation that the MS-12991 spec was approved for the new formulation. I assume it is, but I've never seen it in writing since the change.

I think it must be though, because the Quaker State is the same oil in a different branded bottle and it's got the MS-12991 cert right on the bottle.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 does meet the spec, its listed on the bottle.

I looked on the Amsoil website and none of their 5w-40s meet the MS-12991 FYI to the pervious posts.

wv_gladiator

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt rubicon diesel
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've been doing 5 to 6k or 25% oil life, which ever comes first.

raypla

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD Stingray
Occupation
Facility Planner
Been running Mobil 1 Extended life 15k for years. Around 7.5K would spin on a new ‘high’ grade filter, top it off and run for another 7-10k. Never had issue. My understanding of oil analysis, which is not much, is that when the oil is new more wear occurs until an equilibrium, between oil/metal/nasties is met. Essentially frequent changes do more harm than good & might play part in the posted metal results from posted UOA.

That being said I run my 3.0 harder than necessary. This thing rips, sits your pelvis/back into the seat just on throttle, f’n sick. I got my first oil change around 10,650. Oil monitor posted around 9,500. I’ll continue to follow the monitor.

Sponsored

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
Honestly. I can't believe people get into oil analysis pages. I changed mine at 7k just before a trip. If in fact it does blow for some reason I've got plenty of warranty left. I just have the dealer change my oil. I was told by the dealer that the Jeep wave program consists of 3 oil changes per year for 3 years.
I ran the piss out of my Honda Civic for 26 years getting all the way to 580,000 miles. Ran nothing but Valvoline 10-30. Changed the oil at 3-4k. Always drove that car like I stole it. She never failed.
I was wondering how many changes were included with Jeep Wave, so its 3 per year, for 3 years? Can you have it done whenever you want or does mileage or time have to be a factor?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering how many changes were included with Jeep Wave, so its 3 per year, for 3 years? Can you have it done whenever you want or does mileage or time have to be a factor?
For Jeep Wave, it's three total changes over three years.
For 2020 owners, it was four over two years, and the renewal is three changes over two years.
The changes are done whenever you request them.

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
I will loosely rely on the oil life indicator... Chryselr doesn't make money if it lasts forever, they design in a wearout period hoping you replace it with another CDJR product....

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I will loosely rely on the oil life indicator... Chryselr doesn't make money if it lasts forever, they design in a wearout period hoping you replace it with another CDJR product....
Planned obsolescence.

A policy of producing consumer goods that rapidly become obsolete and so require replacing, achieved by frequent changes in design, termination of the supply of spare parts, and the use of nondurable materials.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I am around 5500 and scheduled my first.
Sponsored