Sponsored

Diesel owners; do you regret you engine choice?

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
No, neither left me stranded or in limp mode. The injector took a while to diagnose. I would get the "reductant pressure too high" code, which means there could be a kinked line, clogged injector, or a bad sensor. I was able to clear the code, but it kept getting worse. Once it was replaced, then there were no other problems. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the new injector was an updated part.

The EGR cooler was a known issue, so that was a recall. The EcoDiesel was the first diesel in a 1/2 ton for Ram. The emissions just made it more complicated. Ram had to go through some growing pains, but they took lots of notes and made sure that the 3rd gen EcoDiesel remedied many of the shortfalls of the 2nd gen engine.
That's good to know, and thanks for your reply! There's a big difference between having some annoying issues and scheduling a trip to the dealer, and getting stranded.
Sponsored

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
Curious as to why youd prefer a standard . Theyre fun and all if you have a vehicle that sounds good. Had several standard my favourite was a 73 f250 with a 428 cobra jet. And another was the v10 dodge pickup . Willys pickups , cj7 . So i get it somewhat . But why now days. ?
They are called 'standard' for a reason ;)
I actually enjoy driving. I don't really enjoy driving an auto at all. To me it's just 2nd nature to drive a manual, so I've never really understood why people don't like them. Another thing that is nice is controlling which gear you are in, and don't bring up paddle shifters.....

OP
OP
wvuviv30

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
~18.5

I understand the 3rd gen’s turbo is a bit different. As for turbo lag, there’s really none. I do believe it is a variable vane. Makes boost right off the line.
Hold up, I have been overlooking that tidbit.

The Gladiator EcoDiesel fuel tank is only 18.5 gallons? Wow. That's ridiculously small. I thought my 26 gallon tank on the Ram was bad!

So assuming the low fuel light comes on with 16 gallons consumed, and all the owner data showing 22 MPG average is accurate, that means the Gladiator EcoDiesel only has a range of 350ish miles? Ouch.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
The Gladiator EcoDiesel fuel tank is only 18.5 gallons? Wow. That's ridiculously small. I thought my 26 gallon tank on the Ram was bad!

So assuming the low fuel light comes on with 16 gallons consumed, and all the owner data showing 22 MPG average is accurate, that means the Gladiator EcoDiesel only has a range of 350ish miles? Ouch.
It would be neat to add a small 20 gallon auxiliary in-bed fuel tank to the Gladiator. đź‘Ť

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
It would be neat to add a small 20 gallon auxiliary in-bed fuel tank to the Gladiator. đź‘Ť
Even just 10 gals would be a great addition! I just cant afford to give up any of that limited bed space....Also That would leave me with zero payload for a passenger?

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Even just 10 gals would be a great addition! I just cant afford to give up any of that limited bed space....Also That would leave me with zero payload for a passenger?
Bed space is going to be an issue for a lot of Gladiator owners. I actually trailer almost everything, so I don't use the bed space except for a cooler and some tools.

I'm about to add an auxiliary in-bed fuel tank to my 2020 Ram EcoDiesel. We do a lot of towing, so the extra capacity will get us to a lot of places that I would normally need to bring fuel. It's not fun having to fill diesel fuel from 5 gallon jugs, especially with the double flap fuel necks. It's not horrible unless it's raining or super windy. Plus, there are more chances to introduce contaminates to the fuel tank by trying to transfer fuel from 5 gallon jugs to the filler neck.

Speaking of payload, I actually relocated my spare tire to the trailer I'm towing to save on payload. According to my owner's manual, "the recommended tongue weight for a conventional hitch is 10 percent of the gross trailer weight." I never used a trailer tongue weight scale in the past, but I'm going to buy me one so I can more accurately measure my payload.

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
Just get a sxma 8 gallon flat tank and a terrapump fuel pump on it . Voila transfer pump with a large mounted flat tank.

Sponsored

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
Hold up, I have been overlooking that tidbit.

I typically get closer to 380 miles and run consistently around the 22 mpg range. The light doesn't come on until WAAYYY too late in my opinion, sometimes getting down to below 50 miles to empty on the readout before triggering. I don't let it get that low normally, but have tested it a time or two.

I'm pretty sure the most I've ever put in it was about 17.5 gallons, which was surprising because I was testing how much true range there was vs the readout and it seems pretty spot on based on consumption. I think it read something around 25 miles to empty that time.

I feel that it has plenty of range for normal driving, but towing is where it will probably suck. My Duramax had a 26 gallon tank but when towing north of 9k or so (also at 75-80 mph) it would barely have 220 miles of range. Of course, the readout was always super aggressive because I'm pretty sure the absolute most I ever put in that tank was 22 gallons and the readout was basically slapping me in the face with warnings about being empty.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That was the first thing that crossed my mind...

.....and this was the second thing that crossed my mind. :D

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
i had a 2020 gas and I was hoping to get bigger range with the diesel. Was a disappointment . I get 14.5 miles per gallon . Short trips in the mountains . Which is still way better than gas. My jk would only go about 2 hrs to finding a gas station . To get 22 you must Live on the flat with a tail wind. Diesel is better hands down and at least hauling extra diesel is much safer than gas . Diesel doesnt just light.

OrangeTJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKUS, 05 Dodge 2500 CTD
You are typically withing 70-80 pounds of your GVWR? Hard to imagine 10 gallons of diesel, and the tank for it would mean you had to drive around solo to be under your payload limit.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
You are typically withing 70-80 pounds of your GVWR? Hard to imagine 10 gallons of diesel, and the tank for it would mean you had to drive around solo to be under your payload limit.
Have not been on the scale since adding a few more goodies, but I know I will be close to max with 2 occupants and an empty bed. I'm not a numbers Nazi, so not a huge deal to be over a bit as I won't be exceeding the axles' ratings.

The range while traveling while towing is a bit poor.......My last truck had an 1800 mile range and a the one before 850 miles while towing.
Sponsored