Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I went with AEV dualsport diesel specific springs paired with Falcon’s 3.1 shocks (for the gasser). Rides incredibly well. After 40k miles the springs and shocks still feel and look like new. Had to relo my aux battery but they do offer the smaller resi for diesels.

Just a word of caution if you opt to go Falcon, their customer service is pretty terrible. The quality and ride are great but unlike other $3k+ range providers, they won’t be there to help if they screw up. That has been my experience anyway. I’ll never buy from them again but they make a fine shock.
Falcons may be a quality product, but the valving for overlanding looks nothing short of horrible?

Many videos like this one and what I've seen within my own group are the reason I could NEVER buy Falcon shocks........start at 2:30
Sponsored

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Falcons may be a quality product, but the valving for overlanding looks nothing short of horrible?

Many videos like this one and what I've seen within my own group are the reason I could NEVER buy Falcon shocks........start at 2:30

Weird. I WFH and the 40k on it are from trips to WY, TX, FL & UT. RTT, fridge/full rack and family of 4. Threw everything at it short of hardcore rock crawling and man they are smooth and consistent. I set them all at their softest, I had heard they were way too jarring in the stiffer range. Maybe the AEV springs are the stars? It’s my 4th Jeep and have had mid-grade or better suspension setups on them all and this combo feels the best.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Weird. I WFH and the 40k on it are from trips to WY, TX, FL & UT. RTT, fridge/full rack and family of 4. Threw everything at it short of hardcore rock crawling and man they are smooth and consistent. I set them all at their softest, I had heard they were way too jarring in the stiffer range. Maybe the AEV springs are the stars? It’s my 4th Jeep and have had mid-grade or better suspension setups on them all and this combo feels the best.
So you "Heard" they were too stiff in the high range, but never tested yourself? I'm not poking at you, but that's a LOT of money to spend for an adjustment range that you don't use?

It make these discussions impossible to judge by the feedback given. We got guys buying "Race Series" Fox 3.0's that don't really off road and complaining about the ride on the pavement? More money doesn't necessarily buy you a better ride, just the ability to drive faster?

Most of the posers on the forums could get by with a properly tuned 2.0 monotube, never have an issue, and save money for fuel and beer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teqsand

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
I went with Rustys 4” and his upgraded shocks (800) and it rides soooo much better than stock. Am very happy with the lift.
Diesel correct?
On road vs offroad time? How is it off the pavement?

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
So you "Heard" they were too stiff in the high range, but never tested yourself? I'm not poking at you, but that's a LOT of money to spend for an adjustment range that you don't use?
Saving money is why I didn’t opt for the quick adjusts : ) It’s a near half day ordeal if I want to spin the shafts a click. They felt so good at the recco level that I’ve kept it. They weren’t a lot of money relative to build quality and performance in my experience. I’d wager you’d maybe reconsider such a stance if you held one in you hands, solid stuff and as I said, rides great on our laden EcoD.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Saving money is why I didn’t opt for the quick adjusts : ) It’s a near half day ordeal if I want to spin the shafts a click. They felt so good at the recco level that I’ve kept it. They weren’t a lot of money relative to build quality and performance in my experience. I’d wager you’d maybe reconsider such a stance if you held one in you hands, solid stuff and as I said, rides great on our laden EcoD.
So you have the 3.1's vs the 3.3's are the quick the quick adjust? So many options they have that I can't keep them strait. The guys in my group have the 3.3's

Not sure what the Epic JT has without looking at a build video, but I'm sure it's 3.3's or better?

OP
OP
Teqsand

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
Mine is a DD and we do honor trails and starting some long overlanding trips... I live in the mojave desert

Last edited:

The dude

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Diesel correct?
On road vs offroad time? How is it off the pavement?
Yes diesel. I mostly drive highway and construction sites. Handles both no issue. Don’t have any hardcore off road experience with this lift yet

freebird_78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
You couldn't GIVE me Rusty's stuff...

Products not that great, terrible customer service.

Sponsored

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
So you have the 3.1's vs the 3.3's are the quick the quick adjust? So many options they have that I can't keep them strait. The guys in my group have the 3.3's

Not sure what the Epic JT has without looking at a build video, but I'm sure it's 3.3's or better?
Yeah, the adjustments would be neat but it didn’t make sense price/use-case wise for us. I spent the least amount possible basically to get into their external resi hardware. I bet he’s got the fancier ones, heck maybe when you get up to that price point King or Icon makes more sense.

Rick_Jame55

First Name
Rickel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
QA Inspector
I am running these with the Mopar 2” with a 1” spacer on the front. I’ve never hit the bump stops and the pistons don’t show signs of hitting bottom “ front or back”. Yes they are pricey $$$$. But I don’t have issues with hitting bottom. And they are truly adjustable.

FACTORY RACE SERIES 3.0 INTERNAL BYPASS RESERVOIR SHOCK (PAIR) - ADJUSTABLE - 883-26-080

Rick_Jame55

First Name
Rickel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
QA Inspector
I am running these with the Mopar 2” with a 1” spacer on the front. I’ve never hit the bump stops and the pistons don’t show signs of hitting bottom “ front or back”. Yes they are pricey $$$$. But I don’t have issues with hitting bottom. And they are truly adjustable.

FACTORY RACE SERIES 3.0 INTERNAL BYPASS RESERVOIR SHOCK (PAIR) - ADJUSTABLE - 883-26-080
Sorry here’s the link
https://www.ridefox.com/product.php...p&model=Gladiator+JT&year=2021&position=Front

CDNGladiator

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon
Occupation
Health Care
Clayton and Fox 3.3 Diesel Specific and I'm happy

rubicon4wheeler

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Safety Supervisor
I have the Rock Krawler 3-inch diesel front springs and ICON 2.5" CDCV adjustable reservoir shocks along with MetalCloak DuroSpring bumpstops. This is what it finally took for me to eliminate the harsh front-end bottoming out even on the street. Now the suspension soaks up terrain like it's supposed to, and the faster I go the better they work because of their internal "bump zone" in the last 20% of their compression travel.

The ICONs don't have as broad an adjustment range from full soft to full stiff as Rancho RS9000s do, but they definitely allow you to fine-tune their damping to your preference. Even at their softest setting they don't allow the vehicle to wallow, but I've been running them at setting 4 (valved like their non-adjustable shocks at the "sweet spot" per ICON's engineers) for regular street driving unless I need to stiffen them for towing or whatever.

I haven't had a chance to play around with them on high-speed desert trails, but on this weekend's snow run I was bombing down a forest road and hit a fairly large rock that was hidden under the snow with just the passenger side tires. The rock was big enough to fully bottom the suspension and make my passenger squeal, but everything worked as intended: no harsh bottoming out, just a nice progressive absorption of all that energy which kept the Jeep under control and prevented any damage. This was at my usual setting 4, but had I adjusted them to 7-9 they would have handled that hit even better.
Sponsored