Difference between Sport S and Rubicon Suspension

BMcD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
So now I’m confused....is the Sport S with Rubicon suspension going to sag more towing a 2100# camper with 325# tongue weight? Will it be stiffer than stock?
Sponsored

Maximus Meridius

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S , 2018 Jeep Compass, 2016 WRX
I just swapped out the non max tow springs and shocks on my Sport S manual for Rubicon take offs. I have trailer tow, just not max. It was a max tow Rubicon automatic. All 4 sway bar links, and lower control arms are identical. The Rubicon springs and Fox shocks were the same exact length as my originals. Long story short, it lifted my front end 1/4” and my rear 1”. It seems to have a mushier ride now or it may just be me, being disappointed in the height outcome. My front is 1 1/2” lower than my rear. When I put my winch and bumper on the front, I’ll need 21/2” spacer to get it leveled out. Winch and bumper are about 160-170#.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I just swapped out the non max tow springs and shocks on my Sport S manual for Rubicon take offs. I have trailer tow, just not max. It was a max tow Rubicon automatic. All 4 sway bar links, and lower control arms are identical. The Rubicon springs and Fox shocks were the same exact length as my originals. Long story short, it lifted my front end 1/4” and my rear 1”. It seems to have a mushier ride now or it may just be me, being disappointed in the height outcome. My front is 1 1/2” lower than my rear. When I put my winch and bumper on the front, I’ll need 21/2” spacer to get it leveled out. Winch and bumper are about 160-170#.
interesting. Somebody else just reported a 3/4" front lift and a 1" rear lift going from sport to rubicon shocks and springs.

BMcD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Got a Rubicon LE takeoff suspension and the numbers on the springs are as previously posted except one is a 339 AC instead of 343 AC????
So the two I have for the front is 340AC and 339AC so which goes where ???

Last edited:

Sponsored

BMcD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I put the larger numbers on the passenger side and gained 1” on the rear and actually 3/4” On the front and I’m satisfied that I have the springs in the proper locations.

Last edited:

BMcD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I looked back through the for sale section and found one Rubicon takeoff with the 343AC and one with the 339AC but both had the 340AC. So which side does the 340AC actually go on or does it really matter????

The kit I got was from a Rubicon LE (if it makes any difference) and had the 340 and the 339!

Maximus Meridius

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S , 2018 Jeep Compass, 2016 WRX
Yea, I know what others posted but I measured before and after. I drove it and measured after it settled in. Put it together loose and torqued everything loaded at curb weight. I wish I got 3/4”.

For another post——Having someone look up the spring numbers, looks like Chrysler reversed their part number thinking. It always used to be even last digit was right side and odd digit was left side. On these springs it can be opposite. Even goes to left and odd goes on the right in one sales code and the opposite in another sales code. Depends what suspension sales code it was.
I went odd on the right.
On my original Sport suspension it was odds on the right, evens on the left.

Last edited:

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So i swapped a Rubicon suspension in my Max Tow Sport S today and wanted to share some items. Front spring appeared a bit larger and new shock did raise the entire jeep by about 3/4". My concern is actually the rear. I pulled out spring 444AC and 445AB. These springs appeared same thickness as new ones but had more "rings" than the new ones. They appeared pretty stiff. Side by side they looked the same height on the bench. The new was a 541AC and can't remember the other side. So theory is bigger spring but the drive test appeared more spongy to me. It did increase the ride height by about 3/4-1". I need to drive it some more and make sure all is set in but the limited drive I didn't like. So I guess my question is are there any Rubicon owners out there with MAX tow that can pull rear spring numbers ? I dont know if the Rubi springs I got were from one with towing or not. All in all the truck looks good, just dont like the ride now
Jeep Gladiator Difference between Sport S and Rubicon Suspension {filename}
Wanted to follow up on this. My wife took the JT for a few appointments yesterday. She also noticed the spongy/bouncy ride with the new springs. We live in the county and its pretty noticeable on back roads. On the main road it rides well. I want to hook up my trailer but have not had time. I may try tonight. I am leaning back to the stock Sport Max Tow springs for the rear anyway. Gonna do some more riding around. I may also throw the stock tires back on just to give me the baseline vs the new tires.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Wanted to follow up on this. My wife took the JT for a few appointments yesterday. She also noticed the spongy/bouncy ride with the new springs. We live in the county and its pretty noticeable on back roads. On the main road it rides well. I want to hook up my trailer but have not had time. I may try tonight. I am leaning back to the stock Sport Max Tow springs for the rear anyway. Gonna do some more riding around. I may also throw the stock tires back on just to give me the baseline vs the new tires.
I thought the Rubicon was supposed to have a firmer ride?

Sponsored

BMcD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
The suspension off of the Rubicon LE I put on my Sport S is definitely stiffer. It’s a much better ride now and the rear sits 1” higher so I’m hoping it doesn’t squat as bad when towing...not that it was a lot before changing the springs but I would like a little less. There’s a section of the interstate about 25 miles long that’s all elevated roadway and before changing the suspension was like riding a loping horse....now it’s not bad at all.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This is why I left all my Max Tow springs in place and used poly spacers to get the height I wanted. I have the best coils you can get from the factory or aftermarket for these trucks, so why pay for more coils? I realize that the 30% payload bump for the Max Tow trim is largely due to the truck weighing less than a Rubicon, but the coil springs and shocks also have a lot to do with it. I didn't want to screw with that capability.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is why I left all my Max Tow springs in place and used poly spacers to get the height I wanted. I have the best coils you can get from the factory or aftermarket for these trucks, so why pay for more coils? I realize that the 30% payload bump for the Max Tow trim is largely due to the truck weighing less than a Rubicon, but the coil springs and shocks also have a lot to do with it. I didn't want to screw with that capability.
yeah, wish mine came with max tow. next time.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Well that is what everyone say. The wife and I took it for another ride today about 2 hours round trip on back roads. She complained the entire trip that its too bouncy and spongy feeling now. I will say the ride is much different. Being she drives it when i am out of town (probably more than me) i wanted her opinion. She actually made a comment it rides worse than her 2009 2D JK now.

As said earlier the old rear spring appeared stiffer so most likely go back to that spring. I did put new tires and rims on at the same time as the springs and shocks so plan to go back to the stock tires in the morning and have her take it for a ride. If its still like this I'll be moving back to the MAX Tow springs in the rear.

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
Sounds like I just need some rubicon fender takeoffs and that's it...good luck finding that though
Sponsored