Driver’s seat height adjustment leaks down

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow; 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500
I don’t see how anyone can be touching the lever while seated unless you are really really wide and very very heavy! Even then, it is mechanical, not air or hydraulic. Therefore, it would only lower sightly ( like one pump) , not leak down. I think it is a defect in some seats. Similar to the steering issue.....some have it and some don’t. And don’t say “it’s a Jeep thing”! Lol.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t see how anyone can be touching the lever while seated unless you are really really wide and very very heavy! Even then, it is mechanical, not air or hydraulic. Therefore, it would only lower sightly ( like one pump) , not leak down. I think it is a defect in some seats. Similar to the steering issue.....some have it and some don’t. And don’t say “it’s a Jeep thing”! Lol.
I read these posts again, and once again, got into my truck and purposely turned and SLID out of the seat with my full 200 pounds against the seat edge - not using the handle like I sometimes do to sort of "launch out". Never touched the lever, not even close.
I suspect those who have the seat lowering are saying it's going down because they hit the lever, not knowing there could actually be a defect with some seats. Maybe they are assuming they hit it - I'm not the first or only person who has said there was no way they could touch that lever getting out. It's too far down and in. If anyone would hit it, I would, I'm not the most graceful person getting in or out of a vehicle, and I am over-weight - just ask my wife, she'll give you an ear-full and go on about my eating habits. Granted, 200 isn't morbidly obese, but it's not healthy, either.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I had the same issue with my 2015 wrangler and now my 2020 Gladiator. I am the most unlucky guy getting two bad seats, or it's a shit design. I'm going with number 2. I'm 213 lbs but also have a huge ass, so maybe y'all have a skinny butt.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
It is a very poor design. The lever is in line with the top edge of the seat. Every time you get in or out, you push it a little and it goes down.
Great point and thank you ! I have the same issue, 195 lbs and I slide up into and onto the seat with 35s and 2 inch Mopar lift.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have this in my jku. Agree 100% with above that its very likely your leg pushing the lever down when you get out. Thats been my experience too
This is the actual issue. I also have a 2016 JKUR and 2018 JKUR and I took the lever off, rotated it 90 degrees counter clockwise (so the handle faces straight down) and it's not been an issue since. Mind you, in that with the lever rotated you have to actually open the door and get out to crank it but once you get it set it will not move again without your intervention.

I have not messed with this on our 2020 JTR yet. We have a week long overlanding trip coming up and I'm sure that one night in camp I will be rotating the handle on this one as well.

Sponsored

PLEG1972

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeel Gladiator
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
I don't think it's a weight or parts issue....I'm pretty sure its how you get in and out. I also have to lift it constantly but I know my left leg pushes the lever down every time I get in or out.

tedelman

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Had this problem with all my past wrangler type Jeeps since the company started using them. Always wondered why the company never fixed the problem?

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
And here I am sitting at the bottom wishing it could go lower
You too, huh... I find I look out of the upper 1/3 of the windshield with the seat bottomed out. In my TJ, I look right through the center of the windshield, which feels perfect. I'd love to lower the seat by about the same difference between height adjustments

Sponsored

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You too, huh... I find I look out of the upper 1/3 of the windshield with the seat bottomed out. In my TJ, I look right through the center of the windshield, which feels perfect. I'd love to lower the seat by about the same difference between height adjustments
Finally.....short people win 1 !!!

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had this problem with all my past wrangler type Jeeps since the company started using them. Always wondered why the company never fixed the problem?
Exactly.....

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
5’11”. 175 lbs. I don’t think that’s the problem.
My height and weight are close to yours (5’11” 180lbs) - have not experienced this issue with my 2020 JT Overland. I crank it up about 1/2 way - so far it stays (5,200 miles on it).
Sponsored