Sponsored

Driving with Freedom Panels and Doors Off, Rest of Hardtop on... How is it?

jrb517

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow - Bright White, 2008 BMW 328i e93
Occupation
Software
How is it driving with the doors and freedom panels off, but the rest of the hardtop on? Or with entire top on and just doors off? Do you notice a difference vs. taking the whole thing off? I want to take the doors off to get the experience since I've never driven with them off before.

For those who do it, Pics??
Sponsored

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
How is it driving with the doors and freedom panels off, but the rest of the hardtop on? Or with entire top on and just doors off? Do you notice a difference vs. taking the whole thing off? I want to take the doors off to get the experience since I've never driven with them off before.

For those who do it, Pics??
I’ve driven pretty much every combo possible except for freedom panels as the only thing on.
The main difference I’ve noticed is the wind in the cab is different. With only the rear hardtop on, the wind blows in all directions in the cab. So much so, I’ve taken my hat off, for fear of it blowing away. But if I take the rear top off, it’s much calmer in the cab and don’t worry about my hat at all. The less you have on, the less the drag and volatile wind. I’m to the point now, if I take all doors off, the entire top comes off too. It’s only about 5-8 minutes longer to take it off and worth the comfort. Assuming rain is not in the forecast. Plus, I don’t like the look with rear doors on and top off. Hate that gap between the back door and roll bar.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Lowering the rear windows helps reduce the turbulence when freedom panels are off.

Sponsored

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Me and my kid had just the fronts off over the winter. This was late April. We had the whole top off shortly after as well for a while. Its fun go and try it out. I love doors off but don't run that way as often as full top off. I've run totally naked a couple times but I do like having either one or the other off. Doors off top on is a very fun combo. You can get top down fun on lots of cars today but only a Wrangler has a doorless experience.

20200418_194009.jpg

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
I’ve driven pretty much every combo possible except for freedom panels as the only thing on.
The main difference I’ve noticed is the wind in the cab is different. With only the rear hardtop on, the wind blows in all directions in the cab. So much so, I’ve taken my hat off, for fear of it blowing away. But if I take the rear top off, it’s much calmer in the cab and don’t worry about my hat at all. The less you have on, the less the drag and volatile wind. I’m to the point now, if I take all doors off, the entire top comes off too. It’s only about 5-8 minutes longer to take it off and worth the comfort. Assuming rain is not in the forecast. Plus, I don’t like the look with rear doors on and top off. Hate that gap between the back door and roll bar.
Yea this. perfect explanation. If I keep the back top on, I usually open the sliding window to help the flow, but my driving of choice lately has been doors off, freedom panels off, back on (Until I finish my hoist build). Then I'll be naked all the time :turkey:

Sponsored

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
A little windier than removing the whole top but great here in Central Florida because it rains every afternoon.

Jeep Gladiator Driving with Freedom Panels and Doors Off, Rest of Hardtop on... How is it? C3A45A7E-DC3A-4BA2-B014-88FAD0711D8A

Jeep Gladiator Driving with Freedom Panels and Doors Off, Rest of Hardtop on... How is it? C3A45A7E-DC3A-4BA2-B014-88FAD0711D8A
Those the Diode smoked markers or the oracle in your first pic?

CKUCF

First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray Sport S w/ Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Those the Diode smoked markers or the oracle in your first pic?
They’re the stock markers, painted with spray tint. I do have the clear Diode Dynamics on now, and I like them.

C520C238-AC2C-4466-9386-2D8A6B0B4D1A.jpeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Doors on, but all 4 windows down, and just the freedom panels off, it was nice, but I dropped about a 1/2 MPG due to the extra wind resistance hitting the back wall of the top before escaping out of the windows.

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
Well worth it. It'll take a bit of effort the first time but then you can leave off the door bolts to make it quicker. I even left the door check arm go the whole way in and will just use the straps until next fall so no bolt removal to get the doors off.

Now that I've got all that set up I think I can be doorless and panel-less in 5-10 minutes. Now it's time to build a door cart.

Jeep Gladiator Driving with Freedom Panels and Doors Off, Rest of Hardtop on... How is it? gladiator2

LSUonyx09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary Edition
A little windier than removing the whole top but great here in Central Florida because it rains every afternoon.

Jeep Gladiator Driving with Freedom Panels and Doors Off, Rest of Hardtop on... How is it? gladiator2

What type of top do you have? It looks like a hardtop on the back portion but the front looks like a soft top folded back. thanks!
Sponsored