Sponsored

Drove a Wrangler today... My Gladiator definitely has much looser steering.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Not a chance. Cars for those reviews are carefully checked, and the entire thing is staged up to keep everything looking great. CR could get a lemon, but then, CR thinks all Jeeps drive like trucks and suck.
Sponsored

kdfhuey

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
When I filed the complaint with them back in November there were only 18 others for the same thing.
Long story short, my jeep had some steering noise, brought it in, they damaged the truck, so now it's getting repaired and I have a Wrangler as a loaner.

So while my initial steering complaint was different to the loose steering issue a lot have had, I have definitely noticed loose steering with my truck, but not to the extent that a lot of others have reported. I read a lot of people saying that's just how jeeps are and stuff like that, and since this is my first jeep, I took their word for it. Today, I got a Wrangler for a rental, and the wrangler 100% has a much more responsive steering wheel. It's night and day better than my Gladiator. The wrangler feels how I thought steering should feel without any big dead zones. So has anyone gotten a repair? I already have a different steering issue that they cant seem to fix, but what about this? Is there a solution?
I put a synergy track bar, tie rod and steering brace along with a fox stabilizer and it helped a lot. Still not perfect but I think it’s as good as it’s going to get.

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Teacher-Retired Firefighter
I wonder if having sway bars are supposed to keepmit from swayingbback and forth right? I wonder if the ones on the rear in addition to ones in the front have any adverse yawing effects. Couple that bigger tires, who knows. Some after market Suspension upgrades replace those rear sway bars.
Mine drives pretty nice though, even had to dodge an accident and went in and out of two cones at 20 mph, turned crisp. I am running 33z 12.50 x18. My too sense

jeepdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator , 91 Grand Wagoneer, 1964 CJ3B, 1967 Kaiser Jeep M715, two unrestored 1956 Willys Pickups
Been watching this thread with interest. I have had my Gladiator for a month /1900 miles.
Other than the steering, I absolutely Love this vehicle.

I don't know if I would call the steering on my new Gladiator loose, but compared to the stock, well maintained 2016JKU that I traded off, the steering on the JT is annoying.
It wants to follow the irregularities in the crown of the road bad enough that you can't daydream or take your eyes off of the road for a second.

Been driving Jeep vehicles almost exclusively since 1978, and I currently still have my old 1991 Grand Wagoneer. Also a restored 1967 M715, and a restored 1964 CJ3B as my "fun" vehicles, so I'm quite familiar with jeep steering.
Dan

Last edited:

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
When I filed the complaint with them back in November there were only 18 others for the same thing.
That's the main reason why there will never be a recall. These problems exist, but it only makes up a small fraction of jeep owners, less than 3% from what the service guy told me at Hendricks while I was waiting on my jeep to get the oil changed. He said they haven't had 1 complaint at their dealership.

Problem is that we get these forums and only a fraction of jeep owners get on here and some of the ones that do use this as a platform to complain. Not saying that your issues aren't valid but I'm sure Chrysler Fiat aren't loosing sleep over it. You can search online pretty much any Vehicle and find someone talking about issues, including steering. Here's one of many I found

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/steering-problem.85425/

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, jeepcares, every Gladiator should drive at least as well as mine. What does it take to get this resolved?

My commute to work yesterday.

I agree, @JeepCares at the very least send some engineers to look at a good driving one compared to a bad driving one. My commute to work this morning on 315 70 17 KO2s and 2.5" of lift. These stock ones should drive better than mine, or you would think they would

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Good point on mentioning the build, @Jeeperjamie.

I have a JTR with the Mopar lift, 37/13.50-20 Nittos, Falcon stabilizer and Synergy brace and track bar.

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
The mentality of "It's a Jeep Thing" lets them get away with it. People have come to accept/shrug off issues like this because they love the brand/model.

Hopefully some competition from the Ford Bronco will force Jeep to step up their QA. I've never been a Ford guy but I'm anxious to see what the Bronco has to offer, and at what price point.
The bronco will allow you to pick up your kids from soccer practice. Just make sure you grow out the karen hair so you look the part. (haw haw! just breakin' bawlz futzy)

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Not sure what the variables are here, but I've actually noticed exactly the opposite between a wrangler and gladiator.
Before I decided to buy the gladiator, we had a JL Wrangler sport as a rental last summer. The steering on it was really bad. You did get used to it, but there was a ton of play and it required constant correction.
Meanwhile, my Gladiator Overland's steering is miles better than the rental Wrangler. It's still not nearly as good as an F150 (owned an 05) but doesn't require constant correction or have too much play, nor is it distracting to drive. Very smooth and composed for a Jeep.

That said, I did test drive a Gladiator Sport before settling on the Overland and it felt much like the Wrangler, so who knows. Are different wheel & tire packages (or other trim level related options) making a common issue worse or better on some models? Or is it simply that some are worse than others period?

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what the variables are here, but I've actually noticed exactly the opposite between a wrangler and gladiator.
Before I decided to buy the gladiator, we had a JL Wrangler sport as a rental last summer. The steering on it was really bad. You did get used to it, but there was a ton of play and it required constant correction.
Meanwhile, my Gladiator Overland's steering is miles better than the rental Wrangler. It's still not nearly as good as an F150 (owned an 05) but doesn't require constant correction or have too much play, nor is it distracting to drive. Very smooth and composed for a Jeep.

That said, I did test drive a Gladiator Sport before settling on the Overland and it felt much like the Wrangler, so who knows. Are different wheel & tire packages (or other trim level related options) making a common issue worse or better on some models? Or is it simply that some are worse than others period?
A overland would have a softer suspension compared to a sport, especially if the sport was a Max tow. I thought about the overland but read about the crappy gas mileage on 35's so that's why I went with a Max tow with 4.10 gearing over one, plus I'm not in to all the creature comforts, it's basically a sport with a bunch of luxury add one.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Or is it simply that some are worse than others period?
It seems to be a defect with particular ones, from the posts here. My Rubicon steers absolutely perfectly. A 2019 4Runner owner drove it and commented that it felt smoother and tighter than his.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
It seems to be a defect with particular ones, from the posts here. My Rubicon steers absolutely perfectly. A 2019 4Runner owner drove it and commented that it felt smoother and tighter than his.
Mine drives super smooth and the vehicle feels tight, the steering is bad with a dead spot. Its at the dealership waiting on a new steering box. They ordered it, but its 5 days out. I really hope that for once I have good luck and the replacement box is a good one. In my research on here, I really think that there are a lot of bad steering boxes out there and even FCA doesn't know which ones are good or bad.

On a side note, I actually hate the stock overland shocks. I think they're too soft and it give it that 5th gen 4Runner float I hate. Eventually, I'll upgrade to stiffer shocks for a more controlled ride. Some people probably love that, I'll gladly give up some ride softness for a more controlled ride.

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Gladiator Overland, 2” Mopar left. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Small business owner
Hey, jeepcares, every Gladiator should drive at least as well as mine. What does it take to get this resolved?

My commute to work yesterday.

I can’t get your video to play? Is it still available?

Tacobuster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2020 LT1 Camaro
Mine steers like its using lasers to guide it.
The problem is that there is 0% feel or "weight" one inch from dead center on the steering wheel.
My wife drives it exactly like spazzy's gif.
Is this something they can fix.
If these are drive by wire, shouldn't a software update add some resistance to it?
Sponsored

Last edited: