Sponsored

Drove an Overland today

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
Today, my wife and I ventured down to Faricy Boys in Colorado Springs to try out one of three Overlands they have in stock. They have a couple Rubicons on the way but what the hey, I took it for a spin.

The one thing that still takes me by surprise is just how small the bed is. I already knew the bed was 5' and I've seen it from about 6' away, at the auto show. But seeing it up close and personal lets you get a real impression of just how small that bed is. It's not a game breaker for me but it really is small.

The ride was pretty much like any other JLU on the road. The steering wasn't wobbly but it wasn't exactly precise either.

My great take away from this drive was that while I still want a Gladiator, I feel no need to have one NOW. My excitement has been tempered enough that I shouldn't have any problem waiting for the diesel and the color that I want.
47775709651_080413c418_b.jpg
Sponsored

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK CRD
Today, my wife and I ventured down to Faricy Boys in Colorado Springs to try out one of three Overlands they have in stock. They have a couple Rubicons on the way but what the hey, I took it for a spin.

The one thing that still takes me by surprise is just how small the bed is. I already knew the bed was 5' and I've seen it from about 6' away, at the auto show. But seeing it up close and personal lets you get a real impression of just how small that bed is. It's not a game breaker for me but it really is small.

The ride was pretty much like any other JLU on the road. The steering wasn't wobbly but it wasn't exactly precise either.

My great take away from this drive was that while I still want a Gladiator, I feel no need to have one NOW. My excitement has been tempered enough that I shouldn't have any problem waiting for the diesel and the color that I want.
47775709651_080413c418_b.jpg
I drove that same one there the other day. I felt
Like the steering or better yet the tracking while driving was disappointing. I couldn’t keep it in a straight line, the steering wheel felt very loose.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Like the steering or better yet the tracking while driving was disappointing. I couldn’t keep it in a straight line, the steering wheel felt very loose.
Interesting. I test drove a JT Rubicon 2 days ago and I felt like the steering was much crisper than my JL. My wife, who is a big critic of the steering on my JL, also drove the JT and said she noticed a notable improvement in the steering to the point where she commented that she could see herself driving a JT as a daily driver.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Interesting. I test drove a JT Rubicon 2 days ago and I felt like the steering was much crisper than my JL. My wife, who is a big critic of the steering on my JL, also drove the JT and said she noticed a notable improvement in the steering to the point where she commented that she could see herself driving a JT as a daily driver.
Compared to a JK with 35's it feels?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I’m not surprised you would say this. Steering quality, feel, tracking, whatever, has been pretty inconsistent among JLs. My wife’s JLU is spot on perfect while mine has had issues since before any mods I made.

Part of this is just assembly. Postings on the JL forums have talked about inconsistently torqued bolts. Then there are the bushings and bearings on various parts. The Bleepin’ Jeep YouTube page has a vid about replacing many of the front components and at one point he shows how much play there is in the components.

Some Jeeps are going to drive spot on perfectly, others are going to have issues.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Some Jeeps are going to drive spot on perfectly, others are going to have issues.
Just like girlfriends. Sometimes you settle? Lol

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Just like girlfriends. Sometimes you settle? Lol
NEVER . . . You'll just diminish YOUR Quality of Life . . . for what . . . a few rounds "in the hay" ??
Guilty as charged by my own hands . . . ah young dumb and full "of it" back, way back in the day ! ? :angel: :devil: . . . :facepalm:

Sponsored

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
I also drove the red Overland at Faricy, on Saturday morning. There was a ton of side-hop from the rear when going over broken pavement. Makes me wonder if the tires are over-inflated. Didn't think to check TPS in the display. :(

Overall I was very pleased with the truck. Agreed with comments about steering above, but it's leagues ahead of my YJ while still feeling like a Jeep. Brief chat about pricing on an ordered unit has me optimistic about not having to go out of state to get a good deal.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’m not surprised you would say this. Steering quality, feel, tracking, whatever, has been pretty inconsistent among JLs. My wife’s JLU is spot on perfect while mine has had issues since before any mods I made.

Part of this is just assembly. Postings on the JL forums have talked about inconsistently torqued bolts. Then there are the bushings and bearings on various parts. The Bleepin’ Jeep YouTube page has a vid about replacing many of the front components and at one point he shows how much play there is in the components.

I agree with you 100% Sarge. No rhyme or reason why some JLs drove perfect and some didn't. What's pathetic is Jeep is aware of the issue and hasn't really acknowledged it or come up with a legitimate fix.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Compared to a JK with 35's it feels?
Worlds better! My 2014 JK with 35s was all over the place driving down the interstate. In retrospect, it may have been due to the POS Rubicon Express suspension lift I had on my JK and the "E" load tires which I only inflated to 35 PSI.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I agree with you 100% Sarge. No rhyme or reason why some JLs drove perfect and some didn't. What's pathetic is Jeep is aware of the issue and hasn't really acknowledged it or come up with a legitimate fix.
Sloppy Workmanship ? Under Trained Assembly Personnel ? Under staffed ? Discontent from a wayward employee or 2 ? Hope non of this is cause for these, what some would call, "intermittent" problems with steering issues, along with the already proven Actual Parts Issues being perhaps inadequate or faulty from the Vendors ?. Such as the Bushings . I'm hoping some of the issues are corrected by Early 2020 for both the JL & JT .
Sponsored