Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I was discussing the Pentastar vs Ecodiesel in a group chat with some friends and threw together a direct comparison of dyno sheets for the hell of it. Figured I'd share here.

I want to make a point of saying I'm not arguing the accuracy of these sheets. I grabbed a few from various sources online, scaled them and sort of visually averaged them, and this is the result. Different dynos and different calibrations will have a pretty large effect on the results. The purpose is to give the uninitiated a good idea of how a diesel compares to a petrol engine.

GDE tune is just on the sheet because that's the route I'm planning to go.

Jeep Gladiator Dyno Sheet -  For Fun engines
Sponsored

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
What's the weight difference between diesel and gas Gladiators?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
That 3.6 torque curve is exactly what I expected, and why I keep my manual above 2000 RPMs, and don't even attempt acceleration below 2500 RPMs. The 3.6 is pretty weak below 2500, as we all know. It's exacerbated on the manual, because you have to do it yourself, of course, and a lot of folks just don't like RPMs that high, and also the long 3rd gear. Above 2500, it has a nice flat torque curve. So it builds HP nicely throughout the rev range. So like we all know, the 3.6 likes to rev high.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Now plot the point at which the ecodiesel catches fire and burns the truck down.
Buzzkill that's what insurance and fire extinguishers are for.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BlueScapegoat

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
What's the weight difference between diesel and gas Gladiators?
The numbers I've seen vary from as little as 250 lbs to as much as 400 lbs depending on package. So maybe 10% more, in the most extreme case.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
The numbers I've seen vary from as little as 250 lbs to as much as 400 lbs depending on package. So maybe 10% more, in the most extreme case.
On Jeep.com I built & compared my JTR as a gas and as a diesel. 5072# for gas, 5350# for diesel.

BaileyW7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
That 3.6 torque curve is exactly what I expected, and why I keep my manual above 2000 RPMs, and don't even attempt acceleration below 2500 RPMs. The 3.6 is pretty weak below 2500, as we all know. It's exacerbated on the manual, because you have to do it yourself, of course, and a lot of folks just don't like RPMs that high, and also the long 3rd gear. Above 2500, it has a nice flat torque curve. So it builds HP nicely throughout the rev range. So like we all know, the 3.6 likes to rev high.
I wish the dumb 8 speed didn’t like to sit at 1200 rpm and knock on every acceleration. Wish there was a transmission tune to stay above 2k

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I wish the dumb 8 speed didn’t like to sit at 1200 rpm and knock on every acceleration. Wish there was a transmission tune to stay above 2k
I'd be like you if I had the 8 speed, but conversely, there's a lot of hate with the manual, precisely because you have to keep RPMs up like that. Too bad there's no sport mode on the AT. That'd probably do what you want.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
Now plot the point at which the ecodiesel catches fire and burns the truck down.
Hey at least it'll be a flaming rocketship while the gasser will be a flaming prius 😁

Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Ecodiesel sport s weight with full tank 5150

Sport s max tow weight with 2/3 tank was ~45xx

Had to weigh both to get registration each time.

I will say the diesel accelerates faster and has more power everywhere than the 3.6...also my MPG went from 14.5 to 24+ swapping to a diesel. I added the banks derringer and a KN intake. It goes real good now. The largest difference is on hills in the mountains going from california up to reno NV on 80. The diesel 2100rpm at 80mph making 27lbs of boost 1/2 throttle.

The 3.6L pentastar max tow? Pulling 80mph required 4th gear 7/8ths throttle to pull the hills. same trim level same area. When i put 35s on the 3.6l it was even worse. Any altitude or hills and its not even a comparison the diesel blows the 3.6 out of the water.

Reliability? Every pentastar powered jeep ive owned need head/cam/rocker/lifter work (all 3).

OP
OP
BlueScapegoat

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
For the automatics you should be able to tune the trans to shift when you want it to. I say should, because I haven't delved into automatic tuning much at all myself. Surely somebody offers it?

I'd be like you if I had the 8 speed, but conversely, there's a lot of hate with the manual, precisely because you have to keep RPMs up like that. Too bad there's no sport mode on the AT. That'd probably do what you want.
I've got the 6 speed in my TJ, I love that trans. Different animal engine wise, but it certainly is happiest from 2500-3000 rpm. Same issue with that platform though, a lot of people just want the revs to sit lower than they should with big tires and are always in and out of gears and often see worse mileage. Even with 5.13s it doesn't change the fact the engine is just happier in a higher rev range.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
My 3.6L 2020 did this pretty bad. Did you see that thread about possibly having the wrong lifters in the wrong places? Its in the 3.6L section. I also had the multiple cylinder misfire at high RPM when snow wheeling or in the dunes. At wide open above 5k I would get a soft MIL which would resolve itself once you cut back on rpm/power. I bet it had that issue and I wonder if the light acceleration knocking issue is because of this too?