First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Renegade, how would you suggest I place the tape measure?
Slide it inside the spring, then measure from the bump stop metal cup lip to the strike pad, and also from the tip of the rubber jounce bumper to the strike pad. Then let’s get some other people with stock suspension to measure theirs for comparison. From the initial photos, I don’t think they look that much different than most others. Rubicons should have a little more up-travel than Sport/Overland. I tried to find a baseline measurement on the internet, but only found one for a JK. We also have to keep in mind that Jeep uses dozens of spring combos, and the rates vary based on options and trim levels. It’s hard to get apples to apples measurements sometimes.
Sponsored

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
You can tell that the factory installed the wrong springs on his Jeep by looking at a photo of a tape measure which isn’t even placed so that suspension ride height can be accurately measured?
Again, not an expert. To an untrained eye those springs look too compressed as they sit on flat ground. Seems to be only a few inches of up travel.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Slide it inside the spring, then measure from the bump stop metal cup lip to the strike pad, and also from the tip of the rubber jounce bumper to the strike pad. Then let’s get some other people with stock suspension to measure theirs for comparison. From the initial photos, I don’t think they look that much different than most others. Rubicons should have a little more up-travel than Sport/Overland. I tried to find a baseline measurement on the internet, but only found one for a JK.
Again, not an expert. To an untrained eye those springs look too compressed as they sit on flat ground. Seems to be only a few inches of up travel.
Stock suspension only has a few of inches of up travel. To give you an apples to oranges comparison, I’m running 3” of front lift with 2” of bump stop extension, and have 4” of up travel on my gas Rubicon (with a winch and stubby bumper). This equates to about 3” of up travel if it had stock suspension. My point is, there’s often less up travel than you would expect to begin with. It’s worth the OP measuring though.

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Stock suspension only has a few of inches of up travel. To give you an apples to oranges comparison, I’m running 3” of front lift with 2” of bump stop extension, and have 4” of up travel on my gas Rubicon (with a winch and stubby bumper). This equates to about 3” of up travel if it had stock suspension. My point is, there’s often less up travel than you would expect to begin with.
That makes sense. I guess there is less than I though! Sorry OP. I got nothing for you.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
That makes sense. I guess there is less than I though! Sorry OP. I got nothing for you.
I found a JL Rubicon measurement of 4.25” (unknown if accurate) from cup lip to strike pad. Maybe the OP will post a precise measurement of his. I like analyzing this stuff. Just for reference, Accutune recommends 4” of up travel for rock crawling, 5” for trail riding, and 7” for desert running. These obviously wouldn’t be for stock suspensions, but for consideration when building a system for how it will be most used.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Sorry for the delay... here is a couple of photos with the tape inside the spring

it looks like I have about 1.5” of uptravel before hitting the bump stops.

A7E32BD9-5D72-403F-AA9F-2C21AE2DB5AB.jpeg

493BC1B1-7F6D-45ED-AD9E-0D842C4B4B5B.jpeg

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Sorry for the delay... here is a couple of photos with the tape inside the spring

it looks like I have about 1.5” of uptravel before hitting the bump stops.

Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads 493BC1B1-7F6D-45ED-AD9E-0D842C4B4B5B

Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads 493BC1B1-7F6D-45ED-AD9E-0D842C4B4B5B
Bubba, I would take it back to the dealer...can't imagine a street vehicle (unless its a highly modified rice burner), much less an offroad vehicle that only has 1.5 inches of travel before hitting the bump stop. Wondering if they used the wrong spring during manufactoring.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bubba, I would take it back to the dealer...can't imagine a street vehicle (unless its a highly modified rice burner), much less an offroad vehicle that only has 1.5 inches of travel before hitting the bump stop. Wondering if they used the wrong spring during manufactoring.
Hey, does anyone know how to get JeepCares onto this thread?

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
maybe this works...

@JeepCares

I’ve seen others do this, so I guess we’ll see if they have anything to comment on.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
maybe this works...

@JeepCares

I’ve seen others do this, so I guess we’ll see if they have anything to comment on.
Jay, couple of questions on the photos: in both photos, is that the bottom of the spring that has a different coloration and a hole drilled through it?; second photo, right under your thumb, is that a crack in the spring?

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
is that the bottom of the spring that has a different coloration and a hole drilled through it?
I think thats the plastic cover on the spring

I know for sure my jtmt had more space than that in front..

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It looks like there is a total of 2-5/8” of available up travel (to the metal cup lip). Can someone else with stock suspension get a measurement for comparison?

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
So his JTDR has 1 1/2" of up travel before the rubber bump stop pad contacts the axle pad? I was curious, so I just measured my Mojave, and I have 3 1/2" of up travel before the hydraulic bump stop pad contacts the axle pad. That is a pretty big difference. No wonder he is feeling it bottom out on just regular bumps, even without the extra 400 lbs from the diesel engine.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
So his JTDR has 1 1/2" of up travel before the rubber bump stop pad contacts the axle pad? I was curious, so I just measured my Mojave, and I have 3 1/2" of up travel before the hydraulic bump stop pad contacts the axle pad. That is a pretty big difference. No wonder he is feeling it bottom out on just regular bumps, even without the extra 400 lbs from the diesel engine.
Apples to oranges. You can’t compare the Mojave to the other suspensions.

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Jay, couple of questions on the photos: in both photos, is that the bottom of the spring that has a different coloration and a hole drilled through it?; second photo, right under your thumb, is that a crack in the spring?
MacAttack,

Q1: no, there’s one more coil under the one with the hole

Q2: I don’t see a crack, I think it’s just paint peeling
Sponsored