First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland
Occupation
Retired
Today I made the drive from Moab out to Elephant Hill to ride that trail. I was surprised at how hot the temps got even without the trailer in tow. This was after a slight grade at 65 mph with the AC on
Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? 47E9651A-2EA7-49A3-8E2B-C04F2579A335
Sponsored

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
welp im gonna see how it performs once i get my new ecodiesel JTR with the cold case aluminum radiator and im gonna have to see were i can tap in to the oil system cause it isnt as easy as tapping in to a oil filter with a sandwich plate like other cars with a generic oil filter that screws in and what not.....but yeah
I hope someone could come up with something but its a really new motor so i doubt it
Edit-i feel like it would be harder than what i though cause when it does get cold wouldn't there be something like a thermostat for the oil sytem so that it can heat up faster in the cold weather

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I just completed a roughly ~10,000mi round trip from MA to Badlands -> Yellowstone -> Yosemite -> Death Valley -> Joshua Tree -> Grand Canyon -> back to MA.

Towed a 3800 lb. travel trailer. Two people in the cab + misc., loaded up the truck bed with tool boxes (maybe another 100 - 200 lbs.). Tongue weight was pretty heavy for this trailer, I want to say 600 lbs. So, I'd say under payload and tow capacity.

Ran into 100F+ temps in SD, never dealt with it derating. First time I started to slow down was the climb up to Lake Tahoe from Carson City (Rt. 50). Slowed down, but was able to maintain 45 MPH for the majority of it.

After that, dealt with 90F+ temperatures until our return trip, and derated, but never to the point where I couldn't go 45 MPH. Highest temps I saw were 242 coolant and 264 oil.

I had started the trip with about 10000 miles on my Gladiator already. Never received ANY warning messages/issues--did get a CEL about fuel pressure or fuel injector, but was cleared and never came back.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I wonder if there is a aftermarket front grill that can allow more airflow to the engine. Perhaps this one…
Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? 47E9651A-2EA7-49A3-8E2B-C04F2579A335
There’s a guy on another thread here that tested the temps with the front grill completely removed and even that didn’t appreciably affect the temps so I doubt this would solve anything..

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
There’s a guy on another thread here that tested the temps with the front grill completely removed and even that didn’t appreciably affect the temps so I doubt this would solve anything..
to be technical, he was testing in 83 degree weather, which is a far cry from 105 degrees. The temps he was getting where hardly a blip on average operating temperature. The test should be run pulling a load with no grill in 100+ temps.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
^^^
True. I think he said he was going to try when the conditions were closer to the SAE parameters.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I am not having any issues with cooling or temps and I live in Phoenix, AZ where it doesn't get much hotter than anywhere else in the US other than perhaps Death Valley.

What I can tell you is that no one here has put their JTR diesel thru more hell in so little time than me.

Here is my story, I took delivery on April 9th and now have over 15,000 miles on my truck - yes in just 100 days. My 1st trip at 2K miles was a 4000 mile trip that was 2800 miles off road thru 6 states. I experienced NO issues with power or cooling (overheating) issues. I then embarked on an 8,000 road trip cross country to attend several Jeep Invasions and to drive the Badge or Honor trails in TX, FL, WV, NH and MI. I was on interstates with 90mph speed limits, steep mountain inclines, temperatures that ranged from 89 to 118 and not once did I have any issues with higher temps on any of my gauges. When on the highway I used the ACC (adaptive cruise control) and got much better mileage than using my foot on the pedal. My best MPG was 26.7, right now my average for all 15400 miles is 20.1 which is highway, city, off road, etc and after going to 35" MTRs at around 7K miles.

I'm running stock gears with 35 MTRs, fully optioned out for overlanding and weighing in at 7580 lbs fully loaded for an extended trip including bed slide, ARE HD CX topper with a Roof Nest tent on top. I'm going to move up to 37s and then change the gears to 4.56 which should bring me back to stock performance levels

I did pull a 2500" trailer for about a week during this trip.

No issues with overheating, at least no idiot lights or gauge issues relating to.

I did have one major issue (the only issue) that the dealer said is now fixed, time will tell.

Coming across TX the Jeep suddenly lost power and slowed down. Every warning light came on in the dash and a big notification filled the center of the dash saying I had a major failure of the exhaust system and needed to get to a dealer immediately. U-Connect sent me a phone message with two critical issues and a few smaller ones.

I drove in limp mode to the 2nd closest dealer (the closest one said he could not even look at it for 2 weeks). Diagnosis was that my diesel particulate filter was 92% clogged due to it not doing a regeneration. I didn't understand this because it sucks down DEF like crazy, as in about a gallon every 1000 miles, I use the Blue DEF Platinum which is about 20 or so bucks a box. This was at about 7000 miles.

The dealer told me that if they could not get it to clean out, that I would need a new one and there were none in the country at this time as is the same with most eco diesel related parts. Wasn't encouraging. The did the same as they do for Cummins Ram trucks and it worked. Now 8000 miles later I am still trouble free but I have not seen any icon on the dash to indicate that it is in regen mode.

So the bottom line, I am sorry I bought the diesel? HELL NO! It is like a mountain goat going up steep grades, it totally out performs the Pentastar in my Wrangler and unlike my Wrangler that gets a solid 10MPG on the highway at 75MPH the Gladiator is doing around 20. My cost of fuel is half of what it is in the Wrangler. Love my JTR and love my diesel, as long as it regenerates as it should.

Barbarian

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jtur diesel 21
Occupation
Business
After watching this thread and others like it I had the opportunity to run a similar test with my 2021 JTRD. First off the truck is on 35’s but is otherwise stock and just turned over 12,000 miles. Secondly the trailer was a 16 foot twin axle utility box trailer that added quite a bit of frontal area. Crammed clear full of household goods, washer dryer, fridge raider, books tools etc.Didn’t scale it but had to weigh 5000 pounds at least..
The climb was Colton California, to the top of Cahone pass, roughly a 4000 foot elevation gain in 25 miles the last six of which are 6% grade. Ambient air temperature was 102°.
Highest observed temperatures on the truck or 240 for coolant, 262 oil, 214 trans.
The truck never D rated or even really slow down. I held it at around 65 miles an hour with the AC on and use the manual feature of the transmission to down shift to
maintain the speed without having to use full throttle.
Interestingly I’ve pulled a heavier trailer up that same hill in the winter time and never even paid attention to the temps using seventh and eighth gear to climb with So maybe the secret for me was the fact that I use the gearing to avoid working the truck so hard.
Ran the exact same climb the next day temp still at 102 and push the truck harder but it still didn’t Derate probably because I just can’t make myself use full throttlewhen not needed Anyhow hope this helps

119D7CE7-6325-43CE-ABF9-6F94DDC9A3B9.jpeg

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
After watching this thread and others like it I had the opportunity to run a similar test with my 2021 JTRD. First off the truck is on 35’s but is otherwise stock and just turned over 12,000 miles. Secondly the trailer was a 16 foot twin axle utility box trailer that added quite a bit of frontal area. Crammed clear full of household goods, washer dryer, fridge raider, books tools etc.Didn’t scale it but had to weigh 5000 pounds at least..
The climb was Colton California, to the top of Cahone pass, roughly a 4000 foot elevation gain in 25 miles the last six of which are 6% grade. Ambient air temperature was 102°.
Highest observed temperatures on the truck or 240 for coolant, 262 oil, 214 trans.
The truck never D rated or even really slow down. I held it at around 65 miles an hour with the AC on and use the manual feature of the transmission to down shift to
maintain the speed without having to use full throttle.
Interestingly I’ve pulled a heavier trailer up that same hill in the winter time and never even paid attention to the temps using seventh and eighth gear to climb with So maybe the secret for me was the fact that I use the gearing to avoid working the truck so hard.
Ran the exact same climb the next day temp still at 102 and push the truck harder but it still didn’t Derate probably because I just can’t make myself use full throttlewhen not needed Anyhow hope this helps

119D7CE7-6325-43CE-ABF9-6F94DDC9A3B9.jpeg
If your oil temp hit 260, she was derated but able to pull the load up the hill you were climbing with the power remaining.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Is it possible some diesels got the gassers cooling package on accident and not the upgraded fan, etc.?

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is it possible some diesels got the gassers cooling package on accident and not the upgraded fan, etc.?
It appeasrs all of the engines share the same radiator, but got different fans.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Just how do you know that it "derates". Oil temps of 260 are within acceptable and do not set off any alarms or lights. My temps pretty much sit about the same numbers all the time with little movement of maybe 5 or 10 degrees at most. Living in Phoenix I would guess our 110 degree days would have an adverse affect on the diesel but I have not seen any issues with performance or power.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just how do you know that it "derates". Oil temps of 260 are within acceptable and do not set off any alarms or lights. My temps pretty much sit about the same numbers all the time with little movement of maybe 5 or 10 degrees at most. Living in Phoenix I would guess our 110 degree days would have an adverse affect on the diesel but I have not seen any issues with performance or power.
When looking at my scan tool, wide open throttle is generally 100% load. After 260°, you start seeing that number drop to around 75% plus or minus.

Here is a pic while towing my camp trailer of about 3500lb last night. See how low the ambient temp is? Elevation was still low too?

20210724_195746.jpg

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
When looking at my scan tool, wide open throttle is generally 100% load. After 260°, you start seeing that number drop to around 75% plus or minus.

Here is a pic while towing my camp trailer of about 3500lb last night. See how low the ambient temp is? Elevation was still low too?

Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? 20210724_195746
Were you going up a grade at all? What are you actually towing? Is it extremely humid out?

Mine hasn't derated at a temperature that low unless it was going up a steep hill.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Were you going up a grade at all? What are you actually towing? Is it extremely humid out?

Mine hasn't derated at a temperature that low unless it was going up a steep hill.
Yes, climbing a moderate hill towing a 17' camp trailer. Humidity was less than 20%?
Sponsored