Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I'm updating the thread for a link to file a compliant with the NHTSA. If we ever want this issue/repair to gain traction with FCA, we need to get an investigation started. Only takes a few mins.

Be sure to include a detailed summary of your experiences. I think it's key to include IF your vehicle overheats/derates making it impossible to merge safely at the posted speed limit since this is the safety part of the problem. The towing is a secondary issue and that issue may never be fixed if it indeed meets/exceeds the J2807 test.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What options did you selected/submitted? So we can all checks those same options.
I can't remember the exact boxes.......I think it was engine and fuel/power delivery? They were right above/below each other.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone else had overheating issues that require the key to be cycled?

While towing my camper 85 degrees outside, coolant 225, trans 110, and oil 240, then I get service throttle control light and it reduces power. Engine power will not come back to power until I cycle the engine off and then the check engine light stays yellow for a few more key cycles.

I see others saying they can get to 260 oil temp and it derates only to come back automatically once it cools down.

Rat2Desert

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Creative Director
I'm updating the thread for a link to file a compliant with the NHTSA. If we ever want this issue/repair to gain traction with FCA, we need to get an investigation started. Only takes a few mins.

Be sure to include a detailed summary of your experiences. I think it's key to include IF your vehicle overheats/derates making it impossible to merge safely at the posted speed limit since this is the safety part of the problem. The towing is a secondary issue and that issue may never be fixed if it indeed meets/exceeds the J2807 test.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
This is a great idea and I will fill out the form. To me this is a potentially very serious safety issue for exactly the reason you state. I've had this happen, it was on a 75 MPH stretch of freeway with a lot of large trucks and limited/rough shoulder. I was at least prepared for it to happen (thanks to this forum), but entirely unacceptable that there is no notice or feedback as to what is happening. Since then I don't shut down when gassing up (heat soak) and carefully watch EGTs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is a great idea and I will fill out the form. To me this is a potentially very serious safety issue for exactly the reason you state. I've had this happen, it was on a 75 MPH stretch of freeway with a lot of large trucks and limited/rough shoulder. I was at least prepared for it to happen (thanks to this forum), but entirely unacceptable that there is no notice or feedback as to what is happening. Since then I don't shut down when gassing up (heat soak) and carefully watch EGTs.
Last time I checked, there was only 2 complaints filed. It's not going to get much traction if people just wanna bitch about it here without following the proper channels to get it handled.

I climbed to pretty steep but short hill with my 3800lb RV this past week at 81° and she was right on the verge of de-rating cresting the hill at 40mph......A/C wasnt even on this time.

Rat2Desert

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Creative Director
Last time I checked, there was only 2 complaints filed. It's not going to get much traction if people just wanna bitch about it here without following the proper channels to get it handled.

I climbed to pretty steep but short hill with my 3800lb RV this past week at 81° and she was right on the verge of de-rating cresting the hill at 40mph......A/C wasnt even on this time.
Just filed, I checked the powertrain and engine boxes.

Here's what I wrote, fyi . . .

After stopping for fuel in Quartzite, Arizona I began to merge onto HWY 10. As I accelerated the vehicle limited my speed to 45 MPH. This is on a 70 MPH section with heavy truck traffic. I was able to pull onto the shoulder and limp to the next exit without incident. I then drove around backroads for 10 minutes, starting and stopping the vehicle and accelerating to 55 MPH. After this period of time the vehicle operated normally.

This happened with no warning at all, temperatures were all within normal ranges. Since the incident I have found that this "derating" is common to the diesel engine in hot ambient temperatures or while going up hill.

My safety was definitely at risk, in a different scenario it could have been much worse.

I have spoked with several factory service centers and Jeep directly, they say they have never heard of the issue and had no specific advice

Rat2Desert

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Creative Director

And yes, this is super quick to fill out, if you've had an issue take 5 mins and do it.

I believe as well we won't get anything done about towing, but having some warnings and some insight as to how to avoid derating are essential for safe operation.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Can someone please help me confirm weather I am having a normal "derate" or other issues?

I get coolant 220, Trans 210, Oil 242, air temp 84 and I get a yellow check engine lights and the lightening bolt/throttle light. I seem to only get about half throttle and the engine must be restarted to get power back again.

Will a true high temp derate give warning lights when it happen? If so what does it say?
Will power come back automatically or do you need to restart?
Do any check engine lights stay on after the event?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone please help me confirm weather I am having a normal "derate" or other issues?

I get coolant 220, Trans 210, Oil 242, air temp 84 and I get a yellow check engine lights and the lightening bolt/throttle light. I seem to only get about half throttle and the engine must be restarted to get power back again.

Will a true high temp derate give warning lights when it happen? If so what does it say?
It doesn't seem normal. Are you towing when this happens? I would contact the dealer to check the warning lights and report the issue.

Sponsored

Rat2Desert

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Creative Director

Part of the main complaint about the high temp derate is there are no warning lights or messages before, during or after. At least in my experience. Power comes back once something has cooled down. It doesn't sound like you are hot enough to have the "hot temp" derate. AFAIK there are numerous things that can cause a derate, or limp mode.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
It doesn't seem normal. Are you towing when this happens? I would contact the dealer to check the warning lights and report the issue.
Yes I am towing but not pushing it very hard as my numbers show.
DPF was reading 65% on my OBD scan too which may or may not have a correct % calibration. I can say it was not doing a regen that I know.

KW80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Ltd, 2021 JT Sport S Diesel

I have never experienced, or at least I’ve never noticed, a derate so I don’t know first hand the symptoms of a “normal” derate. What I can say is that I’ve towed multiple times and seen oil temps up to the mid 240s without issue, so based on that and descriptions of other people here experiencing derate events, the behavior of your Glad seems “abnormal” or something beyond just temperature related.

Hondo1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Oil and gas
Have any of you experienced derate after getting the DEF recall flash?