EPA MPG ratings released for Wrangler Diesel

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Not sure why anyone would think its a good idea to pull that without trailer breaks.
Looks like that trailer has two 3500# axles too, if he is hauling “almost 8,000#” it is overloaded pretty bad. And I can only make out 2 straps.
Hauling that combo across town is not really safe, much less 1,000 miles.

PK2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranchero, Triumph Speed Triple, Isuzu Dmax
Keep in mind that the USA isn't the only market for the Gladiator, and especially the diesel.
Here in Oz, the highest selling vehicles are twin cab utes, and yes, 99 % are diesel.

It's not unusual for unleaded to be up to 30c per litre dearer than diesel.
Diesel makes sense around the world, just not in the USA it seems.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Legislation is going to kill diesels, here in Cali it`s getting out of control, emissions testing every two years and now i get a notice from the DMV it could become yearly. People who tow have been looking for a way to move on from diesels and now with the Ford 7.3 gas motor our prayers have been answered.

Sponsored

autostocks

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW X5 x35d, 2018 Fiat Spider, 1977 Dodge Macho Power Wagon
Exactly par for the course. 24 MPG combined is what diesel Jeeps were getting 15 years ago. That's about what you can expect from any midsize diesel 4x4.

So,

1,500 miles per month / 24 miles per gallon = 62.5 gallons per month @ $3.05/gallon = $190.63 per month

1,500 miles per month / 19 miles per gallon = 78.9 gallons per month @ $2.45/gallon = $193.31 per month

Difference is $2.68 per month. At $6,000 (diesel option plus required automatic trans. upgrade) it would take 186 years to break even on the money spent.

*Fuel prices based on national averages per the EIA. Years to break even point doesn't consider added diesel maintenance and repair costs.
This is a faulty analysis in several ways. I have owned light diesel vehicles continuously for over 12 years, beginning with a 2008 Jeep GC 3.0L CRD and currently a 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax and a 2018 BMW X5 x35d.

First of all, unless you keep your vehicle forever, the payback calculation needs to include the higher residual value when you go to sell or trade it in. For example, I believe I paid an additional $4,000 for the GC diesel back in the day (also, who pays MSRP? you can't use that as the additional up-front cost...). When I went to sell it 5 years later with 125,000 miles on it, people were clamoring for it, and I probably got $2-3,000 more than I would have gotten for a gasoline model. So now the payback is on $1-2,000, not $4,000.

Second, the price of diesel fuel is all over the place. Sometimes it's the same as regular gas, sometimes it's the same as premium. You can't take a point in time for a national average, unless you're going to buy all your fuel at once! I don't have records to prove this, but I'd guess I've spent on average 10% more for diesel fuel than for regular gas over the past 12 years.

Third, I spend most of my time driving on the highway. I haven't had a diesel truck yet that didn't average 30 mpg or more on the highway. My wife's Hemi GC was lucky to break 20 with a tailwind. Therefore I believe, based on my experience, that the savings will be more than 5 mpg versus a similar gas model, and will be more like 10 mpg, but I admit that depends on driving habits.

Finally, there are the intangibles - the additional enjoyment of driving a diesel (IMO), the extended range (700 miles in the BMW), etc. Purely subjective, but worth it to me. If everyone tried to justify their preferences just with economics, we'd all be driving Priuses.

Except for the GMC, which has had a boatload of problems (and I am looking to replace it with a diesel Gladiator), none of my diesels have given me an ounce of trouble, even where I live in northern Michigan. And until recently, most of these vehicles have lived outside in the winter.

So I'd love to get a Gladiator, and in fact I've been itching to get one, but I'm not buying one until the diesel is available.

autostocks

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legislation is going to kill diesels, here in Cali it`s getting out of control, emissions testing every two years and now i get a notice from the DMV it could become yearly. People who tow have been looking for a way to move on from diesels and now with the Ford 7.3 gas motor our prayers have been answered.
Another reason to move out of Cali...

autostocks

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a reason there's a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT for Gen 2 EcoDisel Owners, the engine is garbage. Now, before all you Keyboard Cowboys jump all over me, hear me out. This is the THIRD GENERATION EcoDIEsel, now this COULD BE the very best engine ever built by FCA/Jeep, however, it could also be the ABSOLUTE WORST engine ever put into a Jeep. BUT nobody will know for sure until they're on the roads for a couple years and they really get used and we see what happens. Yeah, there's an insane amount of torque, and yeah they're much better on fuel, but there's all kinds of added costs and maintenance that people don't think about, not to mention in the super cold parts of the country/world like DETROIT, MICHIGAN where it was about 10 degrees out today. Now, I've dealt with EcoDiesel on and off with a few friends and some love it, some hate it. Time will only tell, and if you've got the guts to risk spending 65K+ on a loaded Gladiator with a new version of a engine, good for you. But it'll be interesting to see what happens. Also, I hate the Pentastar, its a great engine, plant of power, good on fuel and pretty reliable with all the other vehicles that have had it, but its JUST TO MILD AND BORING. ITS LIKE DRIVING A VACUUM CLEANER. 6.4L Swap is the #1 upgrade we will do with out #MallKrawlin' Gladiator. Anyway, had to pipe in.

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 11.25.44 PM.png
The reason there is a class action lawsuit is there are too many lawyers and not enough tort control in the US. You can sue anyone for anything with very little risk and basically extort money from big companies who have better things to do than defend frivolous lawsuits. This class action is a sham riding on the coattails of the equally frivolous EPA action, riding on the coattails of the actual VW diesel fraud. There is no "class" that has been damaged by the EcoDiesel.
Sponsored