Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing - Planning & Research
Agreed on that, I like the sound of a V8, I've missed it since I got rid of the Mustang back in 2013, those Coyote engines are fun. If they don't have a V8 option when my lease is up, I might consider a swap, can always throw a supercharger on the 5.7 too lol. I'd just rather tow with an NA V8 than a boosted V6. Once you are constantly in boost due to weight the V6 shows no benefits.
Fair point. Didn’t really take towing into consideration. My CJ5 had a 304 V8 with headers and SuperTrapp side exhaust... agree it sounded mean af!
Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
The current output for the Ram 1500 5.7 is 395hp/410 lb-ft so 45 more hp but 30 less lb-ft on the torque side with a boosted V6. With the 5.7 you aren't adding intercoolers and excess heat from increased compression. Even at 5psi thats a bit of extra wear on the 3.6.
I really don’t think Jeep is actually going to put the 392 in the JL or JT. It was likely just a red herring to distract from the Bronco reveal. If they did plan to put a V8 in them, the 5.7l is the logical choice. It would have more than enough power and would get similar mpg. Especially, on the highway.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I really don’t think Jeep is actually going to put the 392 in the JL or JT. It was likely just a red herring to distract from the Bronco reveal. If they did plan to put a V8 in them, the 5.7l is the logical choice. It would have more than enough power and would get similar mpg. Especially, on the highway.
Agreed, I've seen a couple people that have done the 5.7 swap or bought with it already done and feel its a perfect fit. For me wanting to build more of a Mojave setup its a way better fit than the diesel.

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
I've had many V8s and turbocharged engines over the years, and turbocharged is not always as fun. Boost is great, but you have to wait for it, and its not available down low RPM where and when you want it for daily driving, cruising, and wheeling. Boost is awesome in short bursts, but when you're into it for a long time fuel mileage gets horrendous, heat soaking your engine becomes a problem and limp modes kick in, oh and you need premium fuel too. Also can't forget about constant tuning required with boosted engines, and how critical it is to make big power. If its off even a little, you get knock and blow up your whole setup.

Shoving boost down the pentastar's throat will result is drastically decreased reliability, and thats the last thing I want when I'm in the middle of nowhere, hours away from help or tow trucks. I'm a mechanic by trade, let me assure you, there is so much more to go wrong with a boosted setup, and theyre harder to work on. The remote places I like to explore and hunt, the gas stations often don't even stock premium fuel for city folk. Factory turbo options are definitely more reliable, but even so, not as reliable and simple naturally aspirated options. If someone were to put forged internals in the pentastar, that would be cool, but then it would be the same cost, or even more expensive than a 5.7 V8.

For me, the obvious choice is V8. I love the rumble, sound and lazy torquey nature way more than the whooshing turbo sounds (which are cool in some applications!). For me, fuel mileage wont change much at all, may even be better than my overworked, always flored pentastar V6 pushing 37s up big hills and around tight corners.

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I've had many V8s and turbocharged engines over the years, and turbocharged is not always as fun. Boost is great, but you have to wait for it, and its not available down low RPM where and when you want it for daily driving, cruising, and wheeling. Boost is awesome in short bursts, but when you're into it for a long time fuel mileage gets horrendous, heat soaking your engine becomes a problem and limp modes kick in, oh and you need premium fuel too. Also can't forget about constant tuning required with boosted engines, and how critical it is to make big power. If its off even a little, you get knock and blow up your whole setup.

Shoving boost down the pentastar's throat will result is drastically decreased reliability, and thats the last thing I want when I'm in the middle of nowhere, hours away from help or tow trucks. I'm a mechanic by trade, let me assure you, there is so much more to go wrong with a boosted setup, and theyre harder to work on. The remote places I like to explore and hunt, the gas stations often don't even stock premium fuel for city folk. Factory turbo options are definitely more reliable, but even so, not as reliable and simple naturally aspirated options. If someone were to put forged internals in the pentastar, that would be cool, but then it would be the same cost, or even more expensive than a 5.7 V8.

For me, the obvious choice is V8. I love the rumble, sound and lazy torquey nature way more than the whooshing turbo sounds (which are cool in some applications!). For me, fuel mileage wont change much at all, may even be better than my overworked, always flored pentastar V6 pushing 37s up big hills and around tight corners.
Conversation was around superchargers, not turbochargers... but I don’t disagree with anything you said!

Sponsored

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I've had many V8s and turbocharged engines over the years, and turbocharged is not always as fun. Boost is great, but you have to wait for it, and its not available down low RPM where and when you want it for daily driving, cruising, and wheeling.
How long has it been since you drove a turbo? My old Ford 2015 3.5 Ecoboost had mountains of torque right from the get go. Turbo lag is a thing of the 80's. That said, in my books the perfect engine for the JT would be the 5.7 Hemi. It would probably get similar mileage to the 3.6, have way more power and sound better to boot.

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
How long has it been since you drove a turbo? My old Ford 2015 3.5 Ecoboost had mountains of torque right from the get go. Turbo lag is a thing of the 80's. That said, in my books the perfect engine for the JT would be the 5.7 Hemi. It would probably get similar mileage to the 3.6, have way more power and sound better to boot.
Depends on the size of the turbo, motor, twin scroll, etc. I had a 2014 STi that had noticeable turbo lag.. don’t remember exactly when in the power band but I want to say just north of 2,000 rpm

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Depends on the size of the turbo, motor, twin scroll, etc. I had a 2014 STi that had noticeable turbo lag.. don’t remember exactly when in the power band but I want to say just north of 2,000 rpm
Two entirely different turbo setups. STi has a single large turbo, IHI VF48 I think. It takes longer to spool and is designed for top end. Ecoboost in the F150 has dual BW K03's, which is more of a hybrid with a smaller exhaust housing resulting in quick spool up. EB3.5 can hit max torque at 1700 RPM pushing like 10 PSI. It just doesn't build much boost beyond that, I think like 15 PSI is max.

Different turbo's for different applications. And outside of an STi, and other performance vehicles, turbo lag is a thing of the past. Variable vanes solved that problem.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't the Pentastar use forged steel connecting rods, nodular iron crankshaft, and cast aluminum pistons? I'd think the piston oil cooler jets would help with turbo charging as well.

https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=167
Cast aluminum pistons are standard stuff not suited for performance.
FORGED pistons is the way to go. Cast break too easily and yield more easily to detonation than forged.
Forged crankshafts also take a heck of a beating without breaking easily.
It's one reason the AMC crowd can push 800+ HP on stock crankshaft. You can beat hard on them and they don't break.
Plus the 3.6 is an open deck engine - a strong one, but not suited to shoving air in under much pressure. The cylinder walls stand on their own with no support at the top end. GREAT for cooling, not so great for strength.

Sponsored

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase

What model JT do you own?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
Since others brought it up, I'd take my '17 f150 w/ 3.5 EB over a v8 any day out here in CO at high elevation and mountain passes. Even on heavy 35" MT, 6" lift it hauls ***, doesn't skip a beat and tows trailer up the passes in 8th gear just over 2k rpm.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The February 2020 issue of Four Wheeler magazine has a snippet in the "Is It True?" section that insinuates that there is confirmation that FCA is working on a V8 for the Jeep Gladiator.

There is no other information. It's simply a passing veiled remark. "And a Jeep Gladiator V8 for sure now?"

If this happens, after all that former engineers on Jeep solid axle vehicles have stated, I will be in shock. I will also be standing in line to place my order while I'm in total shock.
I forgot that I had posted this, but it makes the recent reveal of the JL Wrangler 392 very very interesting.