Sponsored

First Jeep in 30 years, is this a good deal?

OP
OP
Pioneer7

Pioneer7

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Medical Simulation
Yep thanks! I think I'm going to give Carmax and Autonation a try and see if I get more or at least the same and then try another dealer for my Mojave.
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Keep in mind if you sell your Tesla to another dealer that is not applying it as a trade in for the Gladiator, you will loose the $27K trade value tax credit (or whatever other price your are given for it) and pay full taxes on the Gladiator you buy.

Need to make sure the higher value you get selling your Tesla elsewhere makes worth paying the full taxes on the Gladiator.

OP
OP
Pioneer7

Pioneer7

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Medical Simulation
Keep in mind if you sell your Tesla to another dealer that is not applying it as a trade in for the Gladiator, you will loose the $27K trade value tax credit (or whatever other price your are given for it) and pay full taxes on the Gladiator you buy.

Need to make sure the higher value you get selling your Tesla elsewhere makes worth paying the full taxes on the Gladiator.
Oh! Never thought of that! Can you explain? Is it better to trade instead of sell due to tax purposes? How do you know which is better? Thanks!!

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Oh! Never thought of that! Can you explain? Is it better to trade instead of sell due to tax purposes? How do you know which is better? Thanks!!
Gladiator @ $61,000 X 6.25% (sales tax) = $64,812 ($3,812 sales tax)

Gladiator @ $61,000 - $27,000 (Tesla Trade in Credit) = $34,000 (taxable value)

Taxable Value @ $34,000 X 6.25% (sales tax) = $36,125 ($2,125 sales tax)

$3,812 - $2,125 = $1,687

To sell your Tesla elsewhere and not use it as a trade in, you would have to get $1,687 more for it than what the trade in offer of $27,000 from the dealer you are buying the Gladiator from to have the tax credit impact even out. So it may not be worth the effort of selling it elsewhere unless you are getting north of $29K+ offers for it.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/96-254/mv-sales.php

Last edited:

Sponsored

Silverator

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music
FYI - I just bought a new 2022 JT Rubicon a month ago. Killer good credit and the best they could do was 7.88%. Got the vehicle at $11,000 below msrp with minimal haggling as long as I financed thru the dealer (AutoNation). Good luck, hope this helps.

OP
OP
Pioneer7

Pioneer7

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Medical Simulation
Gladiator @ $61,000 X 6.25% (sales tax) = $64812 ($3812 sales tax)

Gladiator @ $61000 - $27000 (Tesla Trade in Credit) = $34,000 (taxable value)

Taxable Value @ $34000 X 6.25% (sales tax) = $36125 ($2125 sales tax)

$3812 - $2125 = $1687

To sell tour Tesla elsewhere and not use it as a trade in, you would have to get $1687 more for it than what the trade in offer of $27000 from the dealer you are buying the Gladiator from to have the tax credit impact even out. So it may not be worth the effort of selling it elsewhere unless you are getting north of $29K+ offers for it.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/96-254/mv-sales.php
You sir are amazing! Thank you! Never would have thought of that...

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR, 2023 JTM
I agree with what everyone is saying - they should be discounting that Mojave more. Look on here and on JLwranglerforums as well. There are multiple dealerships(Tricity, Gupton, Ourisman, Koons, etc…) that discount below invoice on orders and on in-stock inventory. For example - I just bought my Mojave from Ourisman in MD. I drove 3 hours to get it, but ended up getting 8% under invoice, plus the $1750 rebate on 23s plus an additional $1,000(by going to Jeep.com inventory search until it popped up and putting my info in). I ended up getting mine for $9860 under MSRP plus a $500 doc fee.

Regarding the trade in and tax savings, it depends on the state. In NJ trading in saves on taxes, some other states are different where the vehicle is taxed every year on registration, etc… and then it may not make a difference.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
In some areas, the Mojave is hotter than some other models, so the discount won't be as enticing. I would check around to see what other in-state dealers have to offer you, and then compare the desirability of the different Jeeps to you, vs, hassle of going a distance to get one.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
1. Check your car price on carmingo. They are typically much higher than a trade. Carmingo is an on-line deal that sells to dealerships. They will pay your lender and pick the vehicle up. 2. Order through Gupton or negotiate close to 10k off MSRP. 3. Look for financing with a credit union. Some are open charters and they typically have much better rates. I just got 2.99 for 60 months.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pioneer7

Pioneer7

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Medical Simulation
In some areas, the Mojave is hotter than some other models, so the discount won't be as enticing. I would check around to see what other in-state dealers have to offer you, and then compare the desirability of the different Jeeps to you, vs, hassle of going a distance to get one.
Oh yea, I bet the Mojave in Vegas is a #1 seller. I'm sure they aren't discounting them much at all.

56cbr600rr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Hi all,

First post, possibly my first Jeep in almost 30 years (dang...) had a 1989 Jeep Commanche Truck in HS. I need a truck so I am trading in my 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus. I'm looking at a 2023 Mojave. Here's the details...

Mojave base price $50,250 Total price $64,355

My price $61,000 +TTL

I owe $23k on the trade and they are giving me $27,897, I wanted $30k they didn't seem to want to budge.

Financing at 75mo, $1010 per mo, zero down @ 6.94%.

These rates are killing me and for some reason I just feel like I'm not getting all the numbers in my favor or I'm possibly missing out on incentives... Not crazy about my trade value but I get it, Tesla's have gone down in value over the last few months.

Is this actually a decent deal? Thanks!
First off... your rate is fantastic considering the term. Is the $64,355 the MSRP? In this market if the JT is a 2023 you should be able to get off anywhere (based on location and other variables, trim level, etc..) from $2k to $5k plus whatever factory rebates are offered.

Additionally, Go and check to see what CarMax will offer you for your trade... IT will probably be more, so take that # and sell it to them or used it for your negotiations at your current dealer. Tesla price sounds a little low possibly...

If its a 2022 your discount should be even better. For reference, 2 months ago I got right at $9k off MSRP on a 2022 Sport Max Tow... with no trade.

Just a few tips from a 10+ year Car Salesman, lol.

OP
OP
Pioneer7

Pioneer7

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Medical Simulation
First off... your rate is fantastic considering the term. Is the $64,355 the MSRP? In this market if the JT is a 2023 you should be able to get off anywhere (based on location and other variables, trim level, etc..) from $2k to $5k plus whatever factory rebates are offered.

Additionally, Go and check to see what CarMax will offer you for your trade... IT will probably be more, so take that # and sell it to them or used it for your negotiations at your current dealer. Tesla price sounds a little low possibly...

If its a 2022 your discount should be even better. For reference, 2 months ago I got right at $9k off MSRP on a 2022 Sport Max Tow... with no trade.

Just a few tips from a 10+ year Car Salesman, lol.
No its the "total" price after options and whatnot. They gave me 3k incentive off the 64k for 61k but it still didn't factor in the equity on the trade which is another 3k. They want me to finance the 61k +TTL. If they didn't give me anymore discounts at all I would think I'd still be financing 58k +TTL, unless I'm missing something.

Guns_N_Rosaries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
If I understand this correctly you will pay $75750.00 in payments plus your $4897.00 equity = $80647.00 for a $61000.00 +TTL vehicle. I don’t see this as wise.
I agree with this. Don't ever look at monthly payments as the price of the vehicle. You may be able to afford the $1,000 a month, but in the end you'll be paying that $80,647.00. That is a ridiculous price for a Gladiator no matter the trim.

Dealers are notorious for just showing you the monthly payments and not the out the door price. That's how they rip people off.
Sponsored