First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I agree with Zac. Almost every JT video with trail rash involves the rear tail lights getting smashed in some way.

However, FCA can’t put them in the side view mirrors like most vehicles given the doors come off, can’t mount them higher given the top comes off and there aren’t really any other locations. That said, I would rather have protected tail lights than yet another piece of technology that attempts to compensate for shitty drivers and can fail.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
How are you mounting a taillight cage that will take any sort of impact? Genuinely curious because the mounting is push retainers and a couple 6mm (if not 5mm) bolts on the inside.

I think the only way to get real protection will be to have the bars come up off the bumper which is likely the route I'll be looking into.
I'm not planning on it protecting me from backing into a tree or anything but just from light brush or limbs that light smack against the back. He's got a plan and he does good work so I'll know more once he gets freed up to start

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
JeeperJamie,
Did your guy finish fabing the tailights? Post pics!!
Curious to see how they came out.
- op
Still waiting on my guy to get caught up so he can start on them. Probably another week or so I should have something hopefully. The dudes super busy

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
One in a thousand chances and it sux........, but it is one of those things that makes a Jeep a Jeep.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I agree with Zac. Almost every JT video with trail rash involves the rear tail lights getting smashed in some way.

However, FCA can’t put them in the side view mirrors like most vehicles given the doors come off, can’t mount them higher given the top comes off and there aren’t really any other locations. That said, I would rather have protected tail lights than yet another piece of technology that attempts to compensate for shitty drivers and can fail.
So true, bad design for the small portion of owners that got and wanted this feature.

They could have done it in the mirrors if they mounted them to the a-pilar, probably where mirrors on a truck with removable doors should go anyways...

Sponsored

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
Sensors had nothing to do with the taillight design- protruding taillights have always been a feature of the wrangler.

Flush mount lights have always been a common mod- but with the change in quarter panel geometry every generation, it takes a while for manufacturers to develop a product. Even JKs with their compound curves only had a couple good options.

Some are custom fabbed, or this style is often used as a middle ground between flat taillights and full corner protection, and could be in the realm of diy if nothing out is compatible with the JT-

Edit- welp, it won’t let me post a picture for some reason.

TooChill4

First Name
Teo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator JT
Vehicle Showcase
Of course.
I contacted DT MOTO and they're working on a prototype and s/b available mid August-September. - op

Sponsored

ArmyJeepGuy666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
+1. While I like the power of the LED Mopar tail lights, Im not a huge fan of how it sticks out. And the aftermarket tail lights I’ve seen have been super ugly.

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Hey guys, based off the feedback, the Oracle Lighting Design team has started working on the conceptual stages for the new flush mount rear lights. Thoughts?

Flush_Mount_JT.jpg
Reminds me too much of the mid-2000 F-150s. A render based on the JT OEM LED design might be more exciting. Also, the gladiator housing and rear quarter are substantially different than the JLs. Note the wrap-around indention and 45 degree-ish angled cutout on the bottom left.

Personally I'd love to see more styles and renderings. I'd absolutely buy this product if I liked the styling. My driver-side light is currently held together with JB weld after a slight, but unfortunate slide into a branch in NorCal. Waiting for something I like to replace it with.
Sponsored